Android Fire TV, Mpeg2
Debug log showing MPEG2 SD crash here:

MPEG2 SD Crash Log
Gentle bump for this - does no one else have a similar problem?
(2014-10-25, 11:36)tdw197 Wrote: Which settings did you have? Not sure how to analyse file type as its live tv from tv headend - UK freeview.

Record Live TV if you can and use one of a multitude of progs on to web to analyze the file.
It will be either interlaced MPEG-2 Video with MPEG-1 Audio or H.264/MPEG-4 AVC if Freeview HD.

(2014-10-25, 14:09)tdw197 Wrote: Debug log showing MPEG2 SD crash here:

MPEG2 SD Crash Log
I too run a TvHeadend backend on Ubuntu, serving Live TV to a RPi.

Having a look at your log - the CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity1 error at the end is typical of your backend TvHeadend server not syncing properly with your XBMC pvr client. It could even be your networking setup is struggling.
As a test startup a microwave oven whilst streaming via WIFI and electromagnetic interference will be noticeable.

If you have a look at your pvr backend server "syslog" - found in the Ubuntu/Linux directory var/log/syslog you may also find these errors will be sprinkled throughout.
"Continuity counter error"

The problem is compounded by the XBMC - pvr addon called - TvHeadend HTSP Client, as it is very susceptible to crashing XBMC with problematic Live TV streams.

For this reason another pvr addon client has been developed called PVR.TVH. It is far most robust with less than perfect live TV streams and does not crash XBMC.
This works well on my RPi and no crashes on less than perfect streams.

Your could try the pvr.tvh 0.9.3 (Gotham) version found here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=187521&page=22

Tongue

Thanks for that.

I have 3 raspberry Pi in the same network and they all stream fine, using the standard plugin.

The part which makes me think its a decoding problem is that if I disable hardware decoding then sd plays fine, but HD stutters. Enabling hardware acceleration with libstagefright causes xbmc to crash when starting sd mpeg 2 live tv - hd works perfectly!!
How annoying, sounds like a XBMC libstagefright , does the same happen with SPMC ?

I'm using SPMC, tbh i haven't tried standard xbmc as i've always found spmc (from ouya days) to just work.

Will try standard xbmc when i get home, its worth a shot.
@Koying

Just notices this in the changelog for SPMC on amazon:

"Add "sd" & "hd" to the advancedsettings of libstagefright (and mediacodec) for fine tuning"

Is this done via advancedsettings.xml and if so how?
See http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#video , <stagefright>.

Before you had "0"=don't use (and "1" always use, but it's not used).
You now additionally have:
- "sd"=only use stagefright for SD
- "hd"=only use stagefright for HD

The cut is arbitrarily set at a width of 800.

Same has been added for <mediacodec>
(2014-10-29, 17:55)Koying Wrote: See http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#video , <stagefright>.

Great, thanks.

Went on the wiki before and did a search for 'libstage*' and could't find anything!
(2014-10-29, 17:55)Koying Wrote: See http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#video , <stagefright>.

Works perfectly, thanks very much.

My fire tv is now perfect Smile
(2014-10-30, 23:44)tdw197 Wrote: Works perfectly, thanks very much.

@tdw197 How are you using the sd/hd settings? I have a lot of problems with MPEG2 1080i (interlaced) content.
(2014-11-11, 21:08)autospy Wrote:
(2014-10-30, 23:44)tdw197 Wrote: Works perfectly, thanks very much.

@tdw197 How are you using the sd/hd settings? I have a lot of problems with MPEG2 1080i (interlaced) content.

Its not workign as well as i thought it was - if interlacing is enabled the hd stream craps out eventually. SD MPEG2, with deinterlacing, works perfectly if you blacklist hardware decoding, HD content (hardware decoded) works ok with no deinterlacing.

Best solution i can think of is if you could enable deinterlacing for SD content only (1080i deosn't look too bad if interlaced). However, as far as I can see interlaced is either on or off, there's no option to have it on for certain video types or resolutions.
Any update on this? Looks like libstagefright is still not deinterlacing on the fire tv (kodi helix rc3).

1080i looks horrible without deinterlacing, especially for stuff like sports...
thought I would share my observations as I just set up a FireTV and do OTA live tv etc from a HDHomeRun.

When using the libstagefright driver the mpeg2 streams play pretty good, the mediacodec seems to perform the same as no (software) acceleration.

The big issue with libstagefright is the fast forward and rewind are terrible with very bad whole screen pixelation and sound artifacts (popping mostly)
even using the skip ahead the screen pixelates and the audio makes odd popping artifact noises.

Thes observations are from using the PVR interface to NextPVR to view recordings and Live TV. I have not tried ripped DVDs or blue rays from a library but I don't think those would have
a issue as I endode those with mp4.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV, Mpeg21