• 76(current)
Kodi logo suggestions and ideas
(2014-09-09, 23:40)NitrousXBMC Wrote:
(2014-09-07, 09:09)samfisher Wrote: @ned Scott: sure, here it is! Big Grin

Done. I think it's time to call in the judges for a vote.
Very well done samfisher

Hello, first post on this topic... I like this one a lot. and I think it would be excellent as it is. However, if you were willing to make some changes, I have a couple of ideas.

1) I would just like to see what it would look like if the "O" were a power button.

2) Same as 1, but also change the "D" to the filled in triangle.. to somewhat mirror the "K".

Also, someone mentioned the green ring looked like a sagging pottery project (or something like that...) Maybe you could use the same idea you used but tweak it a little bit. Instead of having top/bottom and left/right mirror each other, use the same twist all the way around (like when closing a cardboard box without using tape -- corner over corner over corner etc...) I think this would help resemble the D-pad a little more than what it does in the pic above, plus you would have a nice faux "X" to pay tribute to xbmc..

Pardon me if these ideas have been discussed already, but 75 pages is a lot to sift through. I got through 25 or so and just had to see where things were, so I skipped to the end. Anyway, just my 2 cents.. thanks
@epi4561: Thanks! Smile I'm not sure I understand correctly everything.

1) I made a power button logo just a few pages back, and I don't think it would work with this concept, at least as I think of it, if you could make an example (just a sketch is ok) I could try something maybe.

2) The mirror/D with an arrow/media symbols/etc. is one of the first concept I've worked on, because it was from the original idea of the name Kodi. However a lot of people (including me) came to the conclusion that a separate logo, or just a letter (K/O) of the name Kodi was better and made it overall more readable, instead of the whole Kodi word as a logo. But just to show you:

I don't particularly like this.

3) Remembers me of other logos I previously did, like the K with the four directions (a lot of versions) and the O (with a play symbol inside). And the origami. We discarded that "O" because it looked too much like another logo (Onlive I think it is). So yeah, when I made this logo I originally tried to do that same idea with 4 directions, but then I wanted to do something more unique (less possible similar to that Onlive logo), and this particular shape I came up with not only has the 4 directions, it also resembles an eye and a tv in someway, which is positive I think.
(2014-09-08, 12:24)samfisher Wrote: Image
what I don't like about all these variations is that the K is not a K but "| <" - so the gap between the vertical line and the < is too big IMO
@da-anda: That's easily fixable.

Still I prefer the other version with the gap. Smile
While looking at all submissions so far (thanks Zag for the ZIP file) I'd personally like to see less to no Photoshop eye candy, no animation attempts and no logos ontop of awesome imagery (every logo will look good that way because of the imagery, so what's the point?). This thread is not about finding nice background images or boot logos, it's about finding a logo idea, so I urge to focus on unique and catching shapes instead of wasting hours on adding pointless eye candy at this stage. Subtile drop shadows, gradients, screen/interlaced effects etc don't help brand recognition in any way (I haven't seen anybody saying "hey look, isn't that the brand with the awesome photoshoped logo?") - the core logo and shape has to work ("McDonalds, don't they have that golden M?"), and that in a wide range of use cases (app icon, monochrome, screen, print, ...) - so IMO it's better to keep it simple. Also all this eye candy won't work well on shirts IMO.

Examples: In case of the rubber band design from samfisher (which in general is well done, but also has way to much eye candy that will just be pixel mud in small scales), I don't think the flat/base shape is unique and clear enough (the deformation of the circle is barely noticable in small scale if at all). And the machinery logo from Tinwarble IIRC (which is technically very well done and looking good) is way to complex for a logo. Don't get me wrong - all this stuff is looking good, but at least won't get my vote because I don't see them fit as logo as they don't meet all the criteria I'd like to see from a logo.

@samfisher and gapless K
better IMO. The version with the gap conflicted with the kerning of the lettering
(2014-09-13, 15:02)da-anda Wrote: @samfisher and gapless K
better IMO. The version with the gap conflicted with the kerning of the lettering
Don't know what kerning is, but it's far better with a gap so its | < in my opinion.
@da-anda: I made a lot of photoshop but also some flat versions, and I always include the monochrome icon. I do that to see both the mono logo and the splash screen/icon just to have a more complete idea of the logo, because it will be used in different scenarios. And for the animation, I made that just for fun Smile

The logo loses some balance (it's expected as I build it with the golden ratio method so changing something may make it a little unbalanced).

I made some variations someone asked before. Not anything final, just small modifications.
Row1: default logo. Default green.
Row2: slightly different green.
Row3: different K.
Row4: different O.
@samfisher - please don't feel attacked. I only picked your rubber band version as example and showed up what I don't like about it. I ofc noticed your flat shapes along with the eye candy version, but I explained in my post above why I think it won't work well (just scale the icon down to AppIcon or favicon size (yes, I know it's very small, but ideally the logo should work there as well). In other words - the deformation would have to be more extreme in/for a flat version.
And I agree that the |< might look better in the icon, but for readability I really prefer the no-gap version in the lettering

@jjd-uk
kerning is the spacing between letters. And with the |< version to me it visually looks like the wording consists of 5 letters instead of 4 (space between | and < is almost identical to the space between the other letters). So at least to me the < belongs more to the O visually then to the | (because the upper/lower whitespace between | and < seems bigger than between < and O) which results in | <O D |
(2014-09-13, 15:52)da-anda Wrote: @jjd-uk
kerning is the spacing between letters. And with the |< version to me it visually looks like the wording consists of 5 letters instead of 4 (space between | and < is almost identical to the space between the other letters). So at least to me the < belongs more to the O visually then to the | (because the upper/lower whitespace between | and < seems bigger than between < and O) which results in | <O D |
Personally I'd prefer sam kept the gap and it's always read as as K to me, but I guess the test would be to try it someone who has no idea what it is supposed to spell, if an issue then I'd still like to see the smallest of gaps, or if they must touch then only have the very tip of the < touching as in

So no overlap between | and < in order that they are still distinct shapes but only touching.
@da-anda: I don't feel attacked, I just explained myself Smile
Yes the 16px icon could be a problem for a lot of logos, but I tried it before releasing that logo concept, and to me it looked ok. Of course the 4 directions are less noticeable, but I still like the icon. Big Grin

@jjd-uk: yeah I made that version (bigger font) for that purpose. Still it needs to be refined to be perfectly balanced.
My favourite is still this one though

In my opinion it's good because:

1. The top left 2d monochrome logo is distinct enough to be recognised for use in a 2 colour design on a shirt.

2. Looks good in 3d as well.

3. There was talk at the start of having a logo that could be adapted to different colours for use as favicons for our various site, so I think it works with 3 colours, then you could have singled coloured versions using each of the 3 colours to provide different coloured favicons for website, forum & wiki, there's even potential for a fourth colour for the central play type shape.

3. Lends itself to fancy effects and animation if desired, at least in my mind I can imaginne the outer blades starting apart and spinning into the central play shape and I'm sure there's lots of other variations you could have fun with.
@jjd-uk: I like that too, except it has less meaning than the other one, but still cool and appropriate for a multimedia software. Smile I dind't know about the idea of colors for different sites, this could bring new ideas, maybe.

Ok so, I made 2 variations based on da-anda suggestions (more noticeable directions, no gap in K, just | and < touching each other).

Slim.

Fat.
Still I prefer the older version Big Grin

And another bunch of ideas I had but didn't develop (yet?).
@samfisher:
Your ideas are amazing! :thumbup:
You are the man to create my logo i asked a few pages ago Smile
Greetz Stealth
System : openelec 3.2.3 | Aeon Nox | Intel i3-3225 @3,3Ghz | Intel Graphic integrated | 4Gb Ram | 128 SSD
Remotes : Harmony One+ | MCE-Remote | xbmc IPhone Remote | Yatse on Asus Transformer Prime
TV : Sony Bravia over Hdmi | TV Server : 3xTechnotrend Cable Tuner | DVBViewer 5.0+RecService 1.25
Sound : Logitech Z5500 over optical
Storage : Qnap 412 4x3TB Raid5
(2014-09-14, 08:56)samfisher Wrote: @jjd-uk: I like that too, except it has less meaning than the other one, but still cool and appropriate for a multimedia software. Smile I dind't know about the idea of colors for different sites, this could bring new ideas, maybe.

Both are great, however I think the blades/play, or whatever you want to call it, works better in plain monochrome as it has more visual punch and stands out just as much in monochrome. The rubber band while still working in monochrome does seem to lose some impact in monochrome, so isn't so strong in this form as the blades/play. Just my opinion of course Smile

On the favicons thing, I'm not actually sure that was made public now I think about it.

The idea was with the placeholder logo

The O with play in the middle could be different colours to visually indicate each one of our web presences via favicons, so if you had webpage, forum, and wiki open in separate tabs in your browser, then each tab would have a different coloured favicon.

There's been no mention of favicons since then however, so as long as logo works as an small app icon then it should also work as a favicon.
  • 76(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi logo suggestions and ideas4