Linux Thanks! Successful Chromebox install
Hi DocG - can you quote an Asus laptop that is compatible or the part number of the PSU?
(2014-08-05, 20:08)Matt Devo Wrote: the HP version is on sale for $150 shipped from Amazon currently, a pretty solid deal
There are some reports that the HP version has a louder fan. Aside from the difference in the number of RAM slots are they otherwise functionally identical?
(2014-08-07, 20:45)Stereodude Wrote: There are some reports that the HP version has a louder fan. Aside from the difference in the number of RAM slots are they otherwise functionally identical?

the stock firmware for the HP version has a more aggressive cooling profile - ie, the fan speeds ramp up at lower temps than the Asus. I'm not sure if that's due to a hardware design difference or what, but my coreboot firmware uses the updated Asus fan profile, so the fans will run identically with it. Whether or not the HP fan is a different model or louder, I'm not sure.

outside of the # of RAM slots, they are functionally identical.
If buying a Chromebox for export, the HP may be a better bet as it has a separate power cable for the PSU rather than a US plug integrated into the PSU. This means you can easily replace the cloverleaf cable with a local equivalent, rather than using a US adaptor which is required for the Asus model unless you totally replace the PSU.
(2014-08-07, 15:16)noggin Wrote: Hi DocG - can you quote an Asus laptop that is compatible or the part number of the PSU?

Not sure about exact laptop model numbers, I just made sure it was 19V, 3.42A, and had a 5.5mm*2.5mm connector. I have two different PSUs, which both seem to work fine. Model numbers are PA-1650-66 (Asus branded), and ADP-65DB B (OEM Delta Electronics adapter for Asus). For comparison, the original Chromebox adapter is ADP-65DW B.

(2014-08-07, 20:45)Stereodude Wrote: There are some reports that the HP version has a louder fan. Aside from the difference in the number of RAM slots are they otherwise functionally identical?

I've reported that the HP is louder, but this was only tested with both devices running the stock firmware. And as Matt said, otherwise the devices are functionally identical, even though there are certain other differences. The Lite-On SSD in the HP has better 4K random read and particularly write performance than the SanDisk SSD in the Asus, for example. Not that it would matter much.

(2014-08-07, 23:02)Matt Devo Wrote: the stock firmware for the HP version has a more aggressive cooling profile - ie, the fan speeds ramp up at lower temps than the Asus. I'm not sure if that's due to a hardware design difference or what, but my coreboot firmware uses the updated Asus fan profile, so the fans will run identically with it. Whether or not the HP fan is a different model or louder, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the info, Matt. I've got the Coreboot firmware running on my HP now, I may have to check whether it is still more audible than the Asus now.
(2014-08-07, 23:02)Matt Devo Wrote: the stock firmware for the HP version has a more aggressive cooling profile - ie, the fan speeds ramp up at lower temps than the Asus. I'm not sure if that's due to a hardware design difference or what, but my coreboot firmware uses the updated Asus fan profile, so the fans will run identically with it. Whether or not the HP fan is a different model or louder, I'm not sure.

outside of the # of RAM slots, they are functionally identical.
Given that I only plan to play back music over my network I don't think I'll miss the extra RAM slot. I do like the look of the HP box a bit more and since you've made the fan profiles equivalent I think you just talked me into the HP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thanks! Successful Chromebox install0