CarPi - <13 secs to Kodi GUI - can it boot faster?
A follow up on this. I've done a bit more playing around. I've found there is a big difference between what systemd-analyze states as the boot time and how long it take for an xbmc menu to appear. I put a stock 4.1.2 back on the SD card and got a 20.5 second boot. But systemd-analyze states it's:
Code:
OpenELEC:~ # systemd-analyze time
Startup finished in 3.672s (kernel) + 6.148s (userspace) = 9.820s

So, with standard OE 4.1.2, it takes roughly 10 more seconds for xbmc to boot into a usable state than what systemd reports.

Adding
Code:
ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]|mmcblk[0-9]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="0", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="deadline"
to /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/80-io-scheduler.rules made about a half second difference on systemd:
Code:
Startup finished in 3.297s (kernel) + 6.057s (userspace) = 9.354s
xbmc boot time didn't quite see the full half second reduction, but did boot a bit faster.

Changing force_turbo=1 in config.txt didn't realize any measurable increase in boot time to the xbmc menu. With systemd-analyze, boot time actually increased a bit:
Code:
Startup finished in 3.402s (kernel) + 6.061s (userspace) = 9.463s
I repeated this to make sure it wasn't an anomaly.

Setting force_turbo did, however, allow me to increase my overclock just slightly (to 1125). With that and using a cut-down OE, I boot to the xbmc menu in 15.5 seconds! And systemd-analyze reports a wickedly fast:
Code:
Startup finished in 3.228s (kernel) + 4.286s (userspace) = 7.514s

Thanks for those tips...I'm going to update the original post.

Messages In This Thread
RE: CarPi - 15.5 sec.boot to xbmc menu - can it boot faster? - by doug - 2014-08-04, 22:16
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CarPi - <13 secs to Kodi GUI - can it boot faster?0