Feature "Wake remote server" - Explanation available?
Hi Forum,
hopefully this is the right place for my question.

I'm trying to get a basic understanding of the feature "wake remote server on request". I do know the basic meaning of this - xbmc/kodi will broadcast some sort of wakeonlan to the remote server, and that will therefore boot.

But which kind of action will trigger that remote wakeup-call?
Is it when I try to open a media file on said server?
Or when I start watching a channel in LiveTV?
Or will it wake my server whenever xbmc/kodi RUNS?

Background to my question: I'm having a devoted server running easyvdr 2.0, acting as main location for all media files. This server is not always running! It wakes for timers and the like, of course, but goes to poweroff mode after that.
xbmc itself is running on a raspberry pi, and this one is up 24/7 cause it is also acting as a proxy server at the local net. It has the vnsi-pvr-client activated and running fine.
So if the xbmc only wakes the server when I'm either accessing a file on the vdr-smb-share or a channel in LiveTV, all is good.
If it is periodically trying to wake my server just because the vnsi-client is running, it is NOT good. (Then I'd have to look for a widget to manually wake-on-lan the vdr).

Thanks in advance.
yes we have a wiki :-)
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Wake_on_lan
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
It should do just what you are looking for, except live-tv is not supported (yet?) and will not trig auto-wakeup (see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=195364)
If it was timer-based there would have been no justification to put it into core, instead it could have been a plugin. To make it work just in time 'on demand' it needs to be incorporated into the core software.
For your always-on rpi you need to avoid skins or plugins that periodically access files or mysql in the background, otherwise you will unintentionally wakeup the servers. Vanilla install of xbmc/kodi does not.
t4_ravenbird, thank you. That covers all the points the wiki didn't. No wonder I did not find the cited thread, I was looking for "remote server wakeup" all the time - and found a lot about IR remotes. Wink

...afterthought: I guess for explicitly waking the VDR for watching LiveTV I'd need a plugin able to issue commands to the system...

Just for the background: there are two TVs in our house, one in the parent's room, also housing the vdr, one in the livingroom dedicated to all-family-movies and the like, connected to the raspberry. It's no big thing to go and start the vdr manually whenever we want to watch kid's shows on tv in the livingroom.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feature "Wake remote server" - Explanation available?0