• 5(current)
WIP 3dLUT support
(2015-06-22, 19:06)sat4all Wrote: @lmyllari

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2035227
https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/tree/EGL
Thanks! Excellent work (again) by FernetMenta and fritsch Smile

The code conflicts a bit due to the way I set up the output stage, I'll see if they are interested in my approach or if I should rework it.
Glad that i mentioned it early, maybe it will save you time.

cheers
LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman / i1D3 OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E
Thanks sat4all, it was good timing.

FernetMenta and fritsch are getting some amazing performance. We are in touch and I'm hoping to get the output stage with dithering merged into their EGL work. This would help eliminate banding for anyone using PC output levels and make it easy to continue adding 3dlut support.

I'll take the 3dlut code, bring it to my EGL branch and start adding user controls. It should then be easy to make OpenELEC test builds based on fritsch's EGL work - or maybe I can talk him into including it in his test builds soon. Tongue
So it's happening... ShockedBig Grin
LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman / i1D3 OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E
Thumbs Up 
Hi Imyllari
I'm newbees with kodi and openelec.
I always calibrate my devices (I have a I1pro) and I happy to know that it will be possible do it directly on my chromebox with openelec.
I will probaly ask you some stupid question but :
1- how can I made my profil with dispcalGui with openelec ?
2- have you any built version of your work for trying it, because I don't know how to built it ?
thanks in advance
Hi InNursery,

there's no test builds yet. I'll post links and instructions when it's at that stage.

I'm not planning anything for profile creation at the moment. If it becomes an issue, the solution is likely to write instructions for using a Ubuntu live usb drive to run dispcalGUI.

Maybe someone else would like to tackle writing a dispcalGUI add-on. It might not be that difficult considering that it's written in Python.
thanks Imyllari, I will continue to follow your work.
I have made the first OE test build based on fritsch's EGL builds. It supports only madvr format 3dlut files for now (I'll add ICC display profile support back later).

This is very much work-in-progress. I don't recommend updating your system to this build - I am running this off a USB stick myself.
That said, all the new code should be disabled if you don't enable color management in the settings.

How to use this:
  • place your 3dlut file/files on a drive you can access in Kodi
  • go to system->settings->system, set settings level to expert
  • go to video settings, make sure dithering is on, set color management to 3dlut
  • select your 3dlut file under "3D LUT"
  • during playback you'll see a new osd button that can be used to turn off color management or select a different 3dlut - note that changes will only be applied after you stop the video playback and start again

Known issues:
  • setting changes are not applied during video playback
  • trying to enable cms without providing a 3dlut file will likely lead to blank video
  • video osd button layout is off (edit: button only in Confluence)
  • no real icon for cms in osd (would somebody like to make one please?)
  • 3dlut loading slows down playback start

The build is available here. [EDIT: please see the next messages for a fixed build]

If you are brave enough to try this, please share before and after measurements (preferably with a reference measurement if you use the same 3dlut on another system).
There is still something slightly inaccurate somewhere. I have a very high quality profile of my plasma that corrects the near black response to light up from level 17 and fixes slight colorations in the grayscale but both issues remain with this build. The 3dlut is getting applied though, I see a difference between different 3dluts.

I wish we had a pattern generator in Kodi.
I found the issue with texture coordinates used to look up the corrected color values. I am now getting very nice near black response and grayscale maps 1:1 with the 3dlut. Didn't measure it yet, but looks very good.

Fixed build is available here. Please give it a try, but keep in mind the known issues listed above.
My 3D LUT Calibration Targets:
  • 35 fL max light output
  • BT.1886 Gamma
  • REC.709

3D LUT OFF

3000 patch point 3D LUT ON

One small problem: The color management osd botton doesn't work with aeon nox skin.

Thanks! Excellent work
wow, you get color deltaE or 0,4? cool!
sat4all, thank you for the measurements! Nice tv Smile

I added a note to known issues about the osd button - it's in Confluence only for now.
thank you guys!
So the plan is to have a chooser for the LUT from the playback OSD? I.e. if one had both a projector and a plasma, what do you see happening?
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3dLUT support3