• 10(current)
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?
You should take a break and know who your friends are...
It's frustrating, I know, and a lot of us would like to ring some necks, but there's honestly no point in getting really worked up about it. Keeping a cool head about it is the best way forward. It happens a lot with these companies, but some of them eventually come around with enough prodding and poking. If this can't be cleared up in a couple of days then maybe we'll see about putting some people up on the wall of shame.

So far, everyone who got put up on our wall of shame page has come around: http://xbmc.org/known-list-of-gpl-violators/

I also wouldn't worry about the occasional user over at freaktab not understanding the GPL. For a lot of people the entire idea of open source software is still a very foreign concept. All they know is they have a device and they want to install software on it. Calm and rational explanation is the best way to get through to those people. Once they understand that it's in their own best interest that companies comply with open source requirements, then things normally fall into place. Sometimes they never understand, but that's life.

In any case, thanks for looking into it, shomari. Try to not let it bother you too much, but still put the pressure on when they give you the run around. We'll get through to them eventually :)
...fair enough. Always good advice.

I'm off this. I've been on this issue for three days straight and the furiously unforgiving combination of bullshit and stupidity that has marked this period has me at my wit's end.

Not saying anyone here is a part of that but I'm sure you get the gist.

Yes, Ned. You're in a much better position to approach this in a calm, level headed fashion. Plenty other separate contradictions (like the 'personalities' at freaktab) and matters are at play with the way some of my posts were relayed.

If I in any way cast a pall upon the work to secure the sources, I offer my sincere apologies.
so finally
there isn't a box really open

never ending story

nuc it's just a little bit expensive but it's open
Does anyone know if this RK3288 chip support DTS-HD and true HD ?
(2014-09-18, 19:27)Roby77 Wrote: so finally

never ending story

So, we´re better off skipping these new Android boxes? ALL ofthem?
(2014-09-18, 19:56)nero12 Wrote: Does anyone know if this RK3288 chip support DTS-HD and true HD ?

Similarly, does anyone know if it works at 24/25/50 Hz frame rates.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-18, 20:41)Kapsville Wrote:

never ending story

For now (imho) YES

but let's wait and see

(2014-09-18, 21:50)nickr Wrote:
(2014-09-18, 19:56)nero12 Wrote: Does anyone know if this RK3288 chip support DTS-HD and true HD ?

do you mean autoframerate ?
Yes, android is infamous for working only at 30/60.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I've been reading all about this and didn't quite get it at first but now have a handle on it I think.

Some of the suggestions talk of exposing.blacklists of these companies etc.

Unfortunately that is not likely to work.

As was alluded to earlier, the Chinese companies don't give a toss about GPL and the like because they operate within different commercial parameters.

I was talking to somebody that works at GCHQ and they were saying that terrorism isn't the top priority of surveillance.

The Chinese were because they are putting concerted effort into stealing as much intellectual property as possible in order to develop and distribute their products to the masses across the globe.

We have seen dirty tricks on many occasions and Rockchip has been part of the process.

So lets look at this from an end users viewpoint.

They want an immediate out of the box experience.

So far, with just about every chinese android device, this this just doesn't happen.

In come the devs like Bob etc at Greaktab to improve the ROMS.

Chinese companies are happy with this because it helps them improve the quality.

So, what is the one product that everybody wants working perfectly more than most?

XBMC.

So an end user isn't going to care about whether a modded version complies with the law, as most are already crossing their fingers that when they order a product from China, it will; have a devalued paperwork attached to reduce or eliminate VAT and Customs fees.

So by being willing to break the laws of their own country, they are hardly going to complain when they get what they want, however it comes.

It terms of getting take down notices in supply sites, good luck with that because Ebay for one is quite happy to sell fake junk (USB drives being a classic). It ain't going to happen.

Now we know from experience that getting sources and the like out of Rockchip can be like getting dung out of a rocking horse, so in general that can be seen as a given.

But, from a business perspective, it is not in Rockchips interest (or at least you would not think so) to sell their brand new product that doesn't live up to it's claims, especially with the number one app that will be used, XBMC.

Perhaps the modded version of an old 13 alpha is simply a prototype that is being supplied to users who will be happy because it may just work as they wish for most of the functionality that they will use.

We may well soon see a more mature Kodi release.

So, how do you get through to Rockchip?

You abandon support for their new baby en mass, especially devs.

Devs like Bob are still relied on to improve functionality.

Take that away altogether and suddenly the new baby might not seem so attractive.

However, as I have seen, being one of the early testers of the Tronsmart R28, it has been, on the whole a very stable release, which indicates that products coming out of the factories are, at last living up to more of the expectation.

Of all the comments that I have seen from fellow testers (setting aside the abysmal remote control) the greatest frustration is not having an XBMC that can play anything they throw at it.

If, tomorrow they all knew of a modded version that would make that happen, they would all jump on it and care less for the legal position.

We have to be realistic about the current situation right now and know that to just have hope to make a difference, you have to go back to the source, Rockchip.

In terms of the criticism that has been levelled at Freaktab devs such as Bob, to my knowledge (and I know that I may be wrong), in terms of general sources being made available, I've not yet encountered a real problem, so would like to see more evidence of that happening before even thinking about passing any real viewpoint. I have just seen that Bob has stated that he will not include such a modded build until the issue is resolved.

Having seen the images previously posted with the hardware acceleration featured shown in XBMC settings, and out of sheer curiosity I downloaded a couple of the supposed modded ROM's, one of which was called xbmc-rk3288-265.

Not only was there no hardware acceleration setting in either of them, there was nothing that listed DTS or Dolby support that I had seen in the Kodi Helix Alpha nightly builds.
(2014-09-19, 03:10)Bluesmanuk Wrote: I've been reading all about this and didn't quite get it at first but now have a handle on it I think.

Having seen the images previously posted with the hardware acceleration featured shown in XBMC settings, and out of sheer curiosity I downloaded a couple of the supposed modded ROM's, one of which was called xbmc-rk3288-265.

Not only was there no hardware acceleration setting in either of them, there was nothing that listed DTS or Dolby support that I had seen in the Kodi Helix Alpha nightly builds.

Keep reading. As I said in the freaktab forums and it ultimately came true in less than a day with Nagrace, I will say again about the non-compliant XBMC - too many users have not yet seen it, and among those that have, you included (by evidence of your post above) have no idea what it is that makes the modded XBMC different, and non-compliant.

All of that will eventually be understood by everyone in due time as others with distinct manners, expressions and ways of explaining things jump into the fray. Of course there's always the question of legitimacy and perceived legitimacy, where one person says one thing, another says the exact same thing, but only the one that follows is credited with veracity due to popularity, standing or other factors not related to fact.

I simply had the unfortunate circumstance of being one of the early adopters involved in testing the RK3288 devices and sharing my findings to a mixed crowd; among which some are not technically inclined and unable to understand what it is about the build that makes it differential.

Differential doesn't mean better or worse. A feature is a feature, just that.

As far as freaktab, you won't see me there anymore. This is the third such circumstance where I've been cursed out and maligned over a discovery concerning android development in that community. I'm done with it. I should have stayed away the first time it happened.
(2014-09-19, 04:19)shomari Wrote:
(2014-09-19, 03:10)Bluesmanuk Wrote: I've been reading all about this and didn't quite get it at first but now have a handle on it I think.

Keep reading. As I said in the freaktab forums and it ultimately came true in less than a day with Nagrace, I will say again about the non-compliant XBMC - too many users have not yet seen it, and among those that have, you included (by evidence of your post above) have no idea what it is that makes the modded XBMC different, and non-compliant.

All of that will eventually be understood by everyone in due time as others with distinct manners, expressions and ways of explaining things jump into the fray. Of course there's always the question of legitimacy and perceived legitimacy, where one person says one thing, another says the exact same thing, but only the one that follows is credited with veracity due to popularity, standing or other factors not related to fact.

I simply had the unfortunate circumstance of being one of the early adopters involved in testing the RK3288 devices and sharing my findings to a mixed crowd; among which some are not technically inclined and unable to understand what it is about the build that makes it differential.

As far as freaktab, you won't see me there anymore. This is the third such circumstance where I've been cursed out and maligned over a discovery concerning android development in that community. I'm done with it. I should have stayed away the first time it happened.

I would not worry too much about feeling maligned, as sometimes things can get a little heated.

Bob has essentially covered the discussion earlier in what I see as a calming manner and I do think that many will be grateful that you have not only identified these things but have made some effort to find out more.

I'd be sad not to see you post there any more.
(2014-09-19, 05:27)Bluesmanuk Wrote:
(2014-09-19, 04:19)shomari Wrote:

I would not worry too much about feeling maligned, as sometimes things can get a little heated.

Bob has essentially covered the discussion earlier in what I see as a calming manner and I do think that many will be grateful that you have not only identified these things but have made some effort to find out more.

I'd be sad not to see you post there any more.

There's a bigger issue at play, and for better or for worse sometimes certain people have to remove themselves from a situation in order for it to advance. I have a custom ROM to post and that's it, only because I'd be damned if I did all this testing for nothing. Especially when other users can take advantage of the help.

Not a single person posted in the thread I made about the XBMC HEVC hardware acceleration. It's been there three days in the sparse RK3288 section. If a dialogue hasn't happened and certain users claim to not understand the issue because of it, I don't see how I am to blame as was posted by some users there. I tried to facilitate a dialogue and the only place where that has resulted in any nominal form of success has been here, not there.

(2014-09-18, 22:21)Roby77 Wrote:
(2014-09-18, 20:41)Kapsville Wrote:

never ending story

For now (imho) YES

but let's wait and see

(2014-09-18, 21:50)nickr Wrote:

do you mean autoframerate ?

The way audio and video are handled in RK3288 firmware is (finally) very varied and advanced compared to earlier generations such as RK3188/RK3066. I stated earlier in this thread I'd like to engage in more multimedia testing myself, which eventually led to the fork melodrama and things deviated from there. But from what I have seen at least 1080p24 sync is possible.

DTS/-HD bitstreaming seems a work in progress that's at least been attempted but I haven't tested the boxes on the proper equipment yet.

There are two different audio configurations I've come across with RK3288 and I haven't comprehensively tested them. It at least appears at this point that users will have much more options than the typical 2ch pcm these boxes are [were] ultimately known for.
DTS is certainly working nicely in the Kodi Alphas that I have tried.

HDMI bitstream seems, from what I have read so far, be a non starter at the moment.
...and those audio configs are in the proprietary kernel builds made by RK so we're stuck with what they give us.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?4