• 2(current)
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?
(2014-09-03, 10:44)nero12 Wrote: Some info i found:

The Orion R28 will come in three forms. The Pro, the Meta and the Telos. The first comes with 2GB of RAM, 8GB of internal storage and 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi. The Pro also comes with 2GB of RAM but has 16GB of storage plus 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi. The Telos model won’t initially be available, but when it is released it will feature 4GB of RAM along with 32GB of internal storage and 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi.

Apparently there is a bug in this first batch. and i guess thats why they want to sell to only developers.

Just ordered one of these.

I've ordered one of the Meta boxes from the first batch, although I'm not aware of any specific bugs yet.

Geekbuying say that they have resolved an issue that they had with WiFi strength and access to channel 13 but apart from that, they seem confident to have shipped them all out yesterday and today without any mention of bugs.

The only thing that I have read about RK3288 although not confirmed is that rather than the A17 that Rockchip are marketing it as, it's supposedly only an A12 because it doesn't actually support big.LITTLE processing.
(2014-09-03, 12:07)Hedda Wrote: Cloud Media (a company previously known as Syabas of Popcorn Hour fame/infame) have announced "OpenHour Chameleon"

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/09/02/c...m-sd-card/
http://www.cloudmedia.com/openhour/
http://wiki.openhourlab.com/index.php/Main_Page
http://forum.openhourlab.com/

OpenHour will be a RK3288 based media player that boots from SD card and will support both Android and Ubuntu Linux

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=203521

Regarding XBMC their wiki says "Note: Custom XBMC with H.265 RK3288 hardware playback support will be available soon"

http://wiki.openhourlab.com/index.php/Se...Using_XBMC

I'm hanging on for the Openhour. I like the idea of the OS being on SD card so I could have a Linux build for XBMC and a droid one for emulation.
10bit MKV files / Openhour

I had submitted a 10Bit (Hi10p) MKV file to the folks at OpenHour. This is a very big deal in the Anime community.
They report that their unit will indeed play back 10Bit MKV files smoothly.

from support:

RE: 10Bit MKV files
Hi,

We tried downloading other 10-bit MKV anime from other sources and they played well with both the default and XBMC player.

We notice that the MKV you provided has huge ref frame of 16. Usually a well encoded file should have not more than 5 ref frame.

This is very promising.... I must be a bit skeptical however as this is a new direction for the PopcornHour/Syabas/Opencloud people. The initial launches of hardware in the past have been problematic to say the least... I will credit them however for being the first people to deliver a box which could actually decode MKV files. (PopcornHour 100)
First born Atomic Generation.
Yep I bought a Popcorn Hour A100 from them back in 2007. It only died last year as the result of a lightning strike. I won't be buying any of the first batch of the Openhour. I want to wait and see how many different builds become available when the user base gets their hands on them.
(2014-09-08, 14:52)Wingfat Wrote: 10bit MKV files / Openhour

I had submitted a 10Bit (Hi10p) MKV file to the folks at OpenHour. This is a very big deal in the Anime community.
They report that their unit will indeed play back 10Bit MKV files smoothly.

from support:

RE: 10Bit MKV files
Hi,

We tried downloading other 10-bit MKV anime from other sources and they played well with both the default and XBMC player.

We notice that the MKV you provided has huge ref frame of 16. Usually a well encoded file should have not more than 5 ref frame.

This is very promising.... I must be a bit skeptical however as this is a new direction for the PopcornHour/Syabas/Opencloud people. The initial launches of hardware in the past have been problematic to say the least... I will credit them however for being the first people to deliver a box which could actually decode MKV files. (PopcornHour 100)
I think you should have been more clear when asking, as according so Rockchip RK3288 specification only 10-bit HEVC (H.265) is supported, (not 10-bit H.264), and almost all those I heard of in the Anime community are encoding with non-standard 10-bit H.264

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Hi10P

Sorry but I do not believe that you will ever get an Android box to hardware encode 10-bit H.264 using its VPU.

As long as you want to view non-standard formats you are going to have to stick with a powerfull x86-64 PC.
I stumbled across a Datasheet that would seem to confirm the above, see http://dl.radxa.com/rock2/docs/hw/ds/Roc...140516.pdf

H.264 is to Profile 5.2 HP with no mention of 10 bit.
Would the Rockchip have the CPU grunt to do 10bit H264 in software? (I don't think 10bit H264 is widely supported in hardware. 10 bit is more likely to be supported in H265 as it is pretty much part of the basic spec)
This is the file I submitted.... It is definitely H.264 (It plays nicely on my NUC (i5))

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3867...0Akiko.mkv

General
Unique ID : 247672817310906629401531817604558451402 (0xBA540CADCCE1DCBDB1F4D1E359C572CA)
Complete name : /Volumes/DataDrive/jeff/Dropbox/Public/Time of Eve S01E01 - Akiko.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 156 MiB
Duration : 15mn 3s
Overall bit rate : 1 446 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2013-08-18 08:20:47
Writing application : mkvmerge v4.9.1 ('Ich will') built on Jul 11 2011 23:53:15
Writing library : libebml v1.2.1 + libmatroska v1.1.1
Attachment : Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 16 frames
Muxing mode : Header stripping
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Writing library : x264 core 133 r2334 a3ac64b
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=16 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=12 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=16.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=81 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : A_AAC
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 9ms

Text #1
ID : 3
Format : ASS
Codec ID : S_TEXT/ASS
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Sub Station Alpha
Compression mode : Lossless
Title : Yabai
Language : English

Text #2
ID : 4
Title : EnterTheBlog
Default : No

Text #3
ID : 5
Title : Otaku-Legends
Default : No

Menu
00:13:56.000 : :ED
I will hold off any purchase of this OpenHour unit until I get positive feedback from the community. There seems to be a difference of opinion between OpenHour and the XBMC Hi10p Wiki. I have not come across any H.265 encoded anime files that I know of... OpenElec (4.07) on an i5 NUC has played every anime file thrown at it... 8.9TB!
(2014-09-03, 23:42)clon74 Wrote: Hedda, as you see in the last three post of http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=203521 Open Hour has not proven its partnership with XBMC, and many users complain about firmware release dates, I'll wait for the second batch of Tronsmart Orion R28

What users complain about firmware release dates? box isn't even on the market.... there are no users until mid October..
The complaints are about the previous generation Popcorn Hour devices from OpenMedia/Sybas not getting proper support, while true they've had a lot of bugs what I'm not sure is how much you can blame OpenMedia/Sybas as much of what can be done will be limited by the quality and features of the firmware and SDK they got from Sigma Designs who was the SoC manufacturer. Perhaps the only thing they are to blame for is a poor choice in SoC vendor and sticking with them for so long, and perhaps they see Rockchip as allowing them to offer a better quality product hence the switch.
(2014-09-09, 05:49)Wingfat Wrote: I will hold off any purchase of this OpenHour unit until I get positive feedback from the community.

Not to mention seeing release of their source if they are really producing a custom xbmc.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@nickr They are not producing a custom xbmc... if you read their WiKi they ask users to download the APK from the xbmc.org download site.
Rockchip is working with xbmc developers to get the most out of their SoC when using xbmc... if they do that in a branch who cares.. it will only be temporarily.. there are to many RK3288 based players hitting the market and wanting to run xbmc/Kodi.

@jjd-uk popcornhour was never perfect just better than the rest.. most FW upgrades, active community and support.
They still believe the picture quality of their Sigma line is superior to any android based solution in the market.
(2014-09-09, 14:28)Willem55 Wrote: @nickr They are not producing a custom xbmc... if you read their WiKi they ask users to download the APK from the xbmc.org download site.
Rockchip is working with xbmc developers to get the most out of their SoC when using xbmc... if they do that in a branch who cares.. it will only be temporarily.. there are to many RK3288 based players hitting the market and wanting to run xbmc/Kodi.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1786298

Quote:I represent Cloud Media and I am happy to answer your questions here.

Native Kodi or Cloud Media's own fork?
Currently H.265 hardware support is fork from XBMC.

So where is the source for the custom fork? If the fork is distributed, the source MUSt be made available. No ifs, no buts, no next years.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
piece of selective copying... here is the complete quote:

- Native Kodi or Cloud Media's own fork?
Currently H.265 hardware support is fork from XBMC. Eventually the RK3288 native playback might merge into Kodi main branch but for faster support, we might release a fork version for users when it is ready.

Question is where is the H.265 hardware support development from xbmc for RK3288 SoC?
If nowhere then a fork from Rockchip and a few xbmc developers is a good thing..
And why assume the code won't be made available, anybody say it would not?

I think the term fork is a development version control classification and not some commercial attempt to exclude competition.
A Chip manufacturer would have no benefit from that as all systems with their SoC could do hardware decoding... what is there to exclude?
You think their customers like openhour, tronsmart or any of the others would go for that?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?4