• 4(current)
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?
(2014-09-12, 08:19)Milhouse Wrote:
(2014-09-12, 07:56)Willem55 Wrote: As for the words like "eventually" and "we might" only proves nobody is making promises they might not be able to keep eventuallyWink... again truth..

Sure, not making promises - just dangling that carrot. Smile

I honestly think it's a bit of a shambles, that Syabas don't know (or are unable to say) what they'll be delivering at this stage of the game, considering they're expecting to ship product next month (October).

(2014-09-12, 07:56)Willem55 Wrote: What surprises me is that other companies have already shipped and no posts about them have been made here by users.

Yes, surprising. Maybe because Syabas are one of the better known vendors. Or because none of the other vendors have track records - good or bad - that can be commented on, or made specific (and somewhat fanciful) claims with regard to XBMC/Kodi?

Oh and for the record, I don't hate Syabas - I'm just highly sceptical of their ability to deliver, born out of first-hand experience, and I have no problem with sharing! I'd be happy to be proven wrong though! Smile

Mega Quote but "Let the future tell the truth"
I'm happy with todays truth.. always..

But we are regurgitating opinions here... let's read from users who actually own a RK3288 based player and their experience with xbmc/Kodi.
@ Willem

As you can tell if you dug around I have been a member of NMT since the A100. "I" have personally seen the concern people bring up with their past products since the A100. Their products that I have used/seen in person did put out great picture also..

The big thing here is even though you didn't have or see any of these issue a good amount of users brought up doesn't mean it didn't happen. You just have to accept it. A lot of us while being negative probably would like to see them have a successful launch but would rather wait and see how it goes after release..

And Welcome to the Kodi forums!

(2014-09-12, 07:56)Willem55 Wrote: This thread's topic is about Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience
Yes as the original poster I know that my purpose with this thread was to specifically ask about people experience with XBMC/Kodi on Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players, and not to talk about experience with other boxes that not have RK3288, nor to discuss speculations about boxes that are not yet available.

So unless you used one already and can post a review or just want to add a +1 because you also want to know about other peoples experiences with XBMC/Kodi for Android on Rockchip RK3288 then you are off-topic in this thread, please start your own separate thread if you want to discuss something else!

(2014-08-25, 16:59)Hedda Wrote: I am wondering if anyone got an Android media player based Rockchip RK3288 SoC and how your experience with it so far?
I have an RK3288 based device [tv box] running Kodi and it works very well. Not much difference at all between any of the RK generations (except obvious hardware potential) as far as running Kodi goes; proper firmware is the main factor in a smooth experience.

Not many users have RK3288 devices yet. The floodgates are opening as we speak, each and every day ebay and the other sites are spawning new clones at very competitive prices. You'll be hearing from many RK3288 users here soon, I'm sure.

BTW, as to the list in the first post - the MK902ii, CS918ii, Bluetimes QPRO, Measy B4S and Cloudnetgo CR12/13/16 all use the same PCBa - they're pretty much identical except for the case, and share ROM/kernel compatibility.

I'll add the RK3288 absolutely devours 1080p video in Kodi, which should make it ideal for at least a good chunk of end users, as I presume most users have 1080p or lower video libraries/content for now.

Haven't tested passthrough, I use SPDIF over optical. I still (since the RK3066 days) only enable mediacodec for HW acceleration and it does very well.

Here's a quick look at CPU utilization, playback w/ a few 1080p test files:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q4gGcObbHQ

I do want to engage in more multimedia tests in Kodi so if anyone has any ideas, please share.
I see HDMI passthrough option in your video. I wonder if this can bitstream HD audio.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Audio HDMI pasthrough yes/no makes me wonder what it does with the formats my AVR doesn't have a codec for.. like AAC and WMAPro as I like to receive those as LPCM 5.1.
(2014-09-15, 14:25)Willem55 Wrote: Audio HDMI pasthrough yes/no makes me wonder what it does with the formats my AVR doesn't have a codec for.. like AAC and WMAPro as I like to receive those as LPCM 5.1.
That is only marketing people causing confusing you there, as a little know fact is that there are actually no receivers in the world that support pass-through for AAC, WMA, or FLAC. If you look in the fine print of your receiver I think that you will find that it actually only supports decoding those codecs when it is playing those files itself from the network or of USB storage, but that is not using XBMC at all and instead using the receivers integrated player.

So to clarify, no receivers does natively decode AAC or WMA Pro in passthrough, and they will likely shows up as LPCM if played through XBMC. This is not a XBMC limitation, AAC passthrough have never worked in XBMC or any other player out there, even though the option used to be aviable in the settings before this little fact was found out.

If your receiver really does support AAC or WMAPro passthrough then is the only such receiver ever actually discovered out in the wild.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152691
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148704
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187484
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=186136

Conclusion, when you play other formats than the common Dolby Digital, TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, or PCM/LPCM from XBMC then they will transcoded in software by XBMC to LPCM or AC3 (Dolby Digital) which is what your receiver can support.
+1e6 on that, I also looked around for the mythical receiver that decodes AAC in passthrough. Does not and has never existed.
I know all that.... point is when HDMI audio is set to passthrough it would be user friendly if Dolby Digital, TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD where mentioned as being passed through. or AAC, WMA and FLAC excluded.
As for the decoded formats it's important to know if they are still multi channel and at the same bitrate.
Could be sort of a deal breaker..I think.
(2014-09-15, 17:52)RockerC Wrote: That is only marketing people causing confusing you there, as a little know fact is that there are actually no receivers in the world that support pass-through for AAC, WMA, or FLAC. If you look in the fine print of your receiver I think that you will find that it actually only supports decoding those codecs when it is playing those files itself from the network or of USB storage, but that is not using XBMC at all and instead using the receivers integrated player.

So to clarify, no receivers does natively decode AAC or WMA Pro in passthrough, and they will likely shows up as LPCM if played through XBMC. This is not a XBMC limitation, AAC passthrough have never worked in XBMC or any other player out there, even though the option used to be aviable in the settings before this little fact was found out.
Uh... Pioneer receivers have had WMA9 Pro decoding for a number of years. I'm not sure if they'll accept it over HDMI, but they definitely do over SPDIF.

Edit: fix typo
I'm a bit confused some publications talk about RK3288 Cortex-A17 others about RK3288 Cortex-A12 are there 2 flavors or is one a "mistake"?
(2014-09-15, 21:55)Willem55 Wrote: I'm a bit confused some publications talk about RK3288 Cortex-A17 others about RK3288 Cortex-A12 are there 2 flavors or is one a "mistake"?

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/01/10/r...omparison/

Sounds like it's Cortex-A12 and that anyone mentioning Cortex-A17 is mistaken. The Cortex-A17 is just an updated Cortex-A12 with the addition of big.LITTLE support, something which is likely to be off little benefit on a mains powered device (and where all four cores are identical).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I've done various checks and all point towards the RK3288 having Cortex-A12 design, not A-17. It's been discussed ad nauseum over at freaktab.

I've set on them being A-12, which is not necessarily a bad thing, when looked at in a practical sense.
If this is all true then does it make the GPU a Mali T624 and not a Mali T764?

• 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?4