• 6(current)
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?
amc-h265 support seems to be added here:
https://github.com/jstebbins/xbmc/commit...27339b69bd
(2014-09-16, 11:20)Willem55 Wrote: did you compare advancedsettings.xml between factory and public release...?
If no difference then they must produce the source code of their release.
Can't believe they done it without the Chip manufacture...

There is no advancedsettings.xml in any of the test builds. The modded version doesn't have one (at least not in a conspicuous/expected location) and neither does the nightly Kodi.

With RK3288, at least for me, advancedsettings.xml causes more issues than it eases. Thus I do not use advancedsettings.xml on RK3288. It's safe to eliminate that variable as a potential cause for now.

(2014-09-16, 11:20)Willem55 Wrote: Official 13.2 stable shows kodi 14.0 in the right bottom corner?

...that's the default XBMC RSS ticker for your eagle eyes.

(2014-09-16, 11:30)csgabe Wrote: amc-h265 support seems to be added here:

This may be it; the modded build shows mediacodec as the running decoder, as shown in the screens.

Question is why would they distribute it with a 13.0 alpha version rather than Kodi? (or latest stable, rather.)
(2014-09-16, 11:27)shomari Wrote:
(2014-09-16, 11:08)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2014-09-16, 10:20)shomari Wrote: Both factory version XBMC and public version Kodi were set up as 1:1 as possible before testing. There were minimal differences, mostly due to build versions - the factory modded distribution is 13 alpha-x while Kodi is of course much newer.

I'm curious what is shown in Settings -> Video -> Acceleration on the factory build, could you grab a screenshot?

So that build is not even based on an official Gotham v13 release as sometime during the development cycle the hardware acceleration settings were split off into their own separate tab on the Video settings menu (below Playback and above File Lists). So that factory build would appear to be based on either one of our Alpha builds or perhaps even a nightly development build, and is certainly not something that should be distributed to customers as it could contain a quite a number of unfixed bugs.
(2014-09-16, 11:36)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2014-09-16, 11:27)shomari Wrote:
(2014-09-16, 11:08)jjd-uk Wrote: I'm curious what is shown in Settings -> Video -> Acceleration on the factory build, could you grab a screenshot?

So that build is not even based on an official Gotham v13 release as sometime during the development cycle the hardware acceleration settings were split off into their own separate tab on the Video settings menu (below Playback and above File Lists). So that factory build would appear to be based on either one of our Alpha builds or perhaps even a nightly development build, and is certainly not something that should be distributed to customers as it could contain a quite a number of unfixed bugs.

Yes. It is an alpha 12 build of 13.0

...very strange.
Compiled 22/08/2014 Huh and they've released their build based an an Alpha from February Confused Somebody is clearly not good at keeping up to date.
Yeah maybe we don't really want that source after all EVEN THOUGH THE BASTARDS SHOULD PROVIDE IT.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I contacted the factory with a request for release of the source code re: modded XBMC build. I'll post any relevant responses here.
Here's the response from the factory:

We're very sorry for that currently the our custom XBMC couldn't be released, maybe it will release in the future. As it designed according to our software.
If you have any other question, feel free to contact us.

Wow! That's infuriating. Sad, because this now marks the first negative encounter I've had with them since the RK3288 chip hit market. I'm sorry I was unable to get them to release their sources, but that doesn't mean I won't keep trying.
I suggest you send them this

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html...stedPublic

highlighting

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

So legally they have no option but to release the source now they are distributing to customers, which should be very easy for them if they are a competent company as the source code should be held on a software version control system such as Github. Although going by the fact it's a Gotham alpha perhaps they are not professional in their development and forked on Github, so perhaps pur source has been downloaded and hacked about on some chinese engineers laptop.
(2014-09-16, 12:53)jjd-uk Wrote: I suggest you send them this

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html...stedPublic

highlighting

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

So legally they have no option but to release the source now they are distributing to customers, which should be very easy for them if they are a competent company as the source code should be held on a software version control system such as Github. Although going by the fact it's a Gotham alpha perhaps they are not professional in their development and forked on Github, so perhaps pur source has been downloaded and hacked about on some chinese engineers laptop.

I will; but I doubt they will oblige. They are very well versed in all of these intricacies. I've dealt with them for a while and never had a problem until now with this recent episode. I'm not at all happy about this and really hope I can persuade them to do the right thing.

Still following up with them. They have a copy of the GPL license agreement. I'll post their responses here as I get them.
Maybe now is a good time to start supporting the Rockchip initiative to work with xbmc developers who are also part of the development team as the chance they don't stick to the rules is minimal.
love to see HW decoding of hevc, framerate sync1080 50/60/24p and HD audio bitstream sorted...
(2014-09-16, 11:30)csgabe Wrote: amc-h265 support seems to be added here:

This is from my pull request. As noted in the pull request comments, mediacodec playback isn't working. It returns an IllegalStateException during configure. From what I've read, this exception happens when all attributes are not initialized before calling configure. So I'm wondering if there is some new attribute that must be set for hevc. Haven't found any hints yet though.

But StageFright accelerated playback works fine (also part of my pull request). Testing done on a Measy BS4.

Pull request is here https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5374
HEVC hardware accelerated playback [amc-hevc] w/ mediacodec

Here you can get an idea of what core utilization looks like with HW accelerated HEVC 720p playback.

The difficulty is in enforcing copyright law at all in China.They simply don't bother with it.

Perhaps you should talk to your local law enforcement agencies about an import ban on these machines. After all, if I got a Bluray of some Warner Bros movie, made a whole lot of copies of it in breach of the licensing I obtained from WB (ie licensed for private use only) and then tried to export those copies to the US for sale, they'd be stopped at the border.

Is there a difference here? Chinese company acts in breach of the copyright licence (GPL2) and then exports for a profit.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I wouldn't go that far on a copyright enforcement claim myself. I don't care for copyright as an enforcement mechanism and unfortunately that's the route with the most, or any, teeth in this situation.

I think community pressure and subtle (or not so subtle) persuasion from different avenues and perspectives is my preferred method.

To be clear, I have an affinity for open source and the Kodi team has my full support on this in any way I can help. I will continue to try the 'nudge method' to try and get them to release the sources, but at this point similar cases in recent and distant history don't provide for a positive outlook.

I feel really bad I've done business with them at this point; and that's only because of this issue.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?4