• 8(current)
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?
Don't know what to make of the pull request. I know the modded XBMC was packaged with firmware three weeks ago, at the earliest as far as I can tell. RK3288 devices were not even shipping at that point. I was in close contact with the factory and mine shipped the 28th of August, with the first batch.

watch gallery

Literally the very first RK3288 firmware updates included the modded XBMC version. That's just ... strange.

Only firmwares packaged after 08/27/14 contain the modded XBMC. This leads me to believe the modded XBMC build compiled 08/22/14 is the first and only one distributed by the factory.

Honestly surprised it hasn't popped up elsewhere yet.
(2014-09-17, 11:30)nickr Wrote: Then again, Occam says to never ascribe to conspiracy that which may be explicable by fuckup (or ignorance for that matter).

It would be a fuckup if they just helped one or two factories to screw the others.... so my conclusion is if Rockchip was at the center of this... all factories will have access to the forked release.
If not then it's not Rockchip.

For now I'm just assuming it's a prototype hack for demo/review purposes as I won't believe they would dumb enough to think they can screw with customers like this and still be in business next year..
Like congratulation with your purchase enjoy running xbmc/Kodi but don't upgrade @xbmc cause all important features won't work anymore...
I can see your logic but I still think Rockchip is in on this. You and others have even alluded to how doubtful it would be that they pulled it off without Rockchip's assistance. I'm only speculating their involvement due to the ridiculously early stage of release.

If it were a year or even six months from now, I'd be apt to say sure, they probably had time with final RK3288 release and hacked something together. But this is practically something they had ready for launch. No way they weren't working with someone with intimate knowledge of XBMC also. Too much to all be a coincidence.

...you just gave me an idea to put that prototype theory to a test. I'm going to update the built-in XBMC with 13.2 stable official and see what happens. I guess the mods would be lost or broken but who knows. (update didn't take, of course. New versions have to come from their fork which they say they'll be releasing any day now.)
SDK for RK3288 can be found online (Orion R28_SDK doc.tar.gz +5GB) and has been for some time, so if your suspicion is based on access to detailed SDK data.... think again.
unpacked it's RK3288_R-BOX_ANDROID4.4.2-SDK_V1.0.0

And here is the nitty gritty http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/09/16/h...elink-r89/

And lo and behold it has xbmc-13.1-Gotham-4K-video-2160P-output.apk size 55.8MB found a download link but don't know if I can post that.
let's hope for good news

i don't want anymore a closed mediaplayer
well you said your ordered a Tronsmart second batch..Big Grin
(2014-09-17, 13:54)Willem55 Wrote: SDK for RK3288 can be found online (Orion R28_SDK doc.tar.gz +5GB) and has been for some time, so if your suspicion is based on access to detailed SDK data.... think again.
unpacked it's RK3288_R-BOX_ANDROID4.4.2-SDK_V1.0.0

And here is the nitty gritty http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/09/16/h...elink-r89/

And lo and behold it has xbmc-13.1-Gotham-4K-video-2160P-output.apk size 55.8MB

I'm aware. That SDK has been out for a while. It also compiles to an old version that's already outdated and has been updated by newer firmware.

That's also not going to be the modded xbmc (I don't think that's what you were indicating).

The modded version is here on the factory's sendspace: https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/ftdmw8
It's not the modded xbmc your testing with but is it a modded xbmc also...doing 4K with HW?
(2014-09-17, 14:30)Willem55 Wrote: It's not the modded xbmc your testing with but is it a modded xbmc also...doing 4K with HW?

...nope. Nobody testing those boxes has posted anything and they have a good bunch of beta testers in their group. They even sent out their boxes to users over at freaktab free of cost for testing.

The modded build we're looking at here is more advanced. Early reports concerning that other one were not good.
(2014-09-17, 14:06)Willem55 Wrote: well you said your ordered a Tronsmart second batch..Big Grin

Huh
i prefer a standalone software like open elec instead of os + xbmc **

and my preference goes for passive cooling solution

on freaktab i saw that the most waited is beelink but imho have a terrible design

**=for what i read and unsterdand in this 3ad last news are not good news

sorry for ot
tl:dr:
Wait one or two month before buying ? Wait for more reviews to select the best ones from the list in post #1? Also, what manufacturer is going to bring the most updates? These little boxes sound sooo good and im currently setting up a new (my first) home entertainment system but i´m even more confused after reading something about these new 4k Android boxes :/
argh forum lost my reply

1e2) Good idea i agree ( usually i wait for rev B Big Grin)

3) This is the problem discussed in last posts

i want a device that i can update when i want i don't want to wait for manufacturer

this is the problem with chinese manufactuer

Hdx for example,and many of them disappear some months after launch and sell

4) rk3288 is soc with mp functions, nuc or htpc are general purpose cpu and i stop here cause we are ot
I think I'm done requesting the source. It doesn't appear they will release the sources as they have now begun to completely ignore my requests for release.

What steps should be taken to deal with the license breach at this point?
Ugoos sent out the modded XBMC with their latest UT3 firmware update dated 09/12/14. Nagrace and Ugoos are both using the same firmwares.

That makes the current list of brands with confirmed firmwares packaging the modded XBMC:

Bluetimes
Cloudnetgo
ChuangSiqi
Nagrace
Ugoos
Cloudsto/Rikomagic

First ones to distribute it were Bluetimes then Cloudnetgo. All the major brands have picked it up now. I haven't touched Minix firmwares but I wouldn't doubt they are now on the kick as well.

This means anyone buying from any of these brands and receiving the modified XBMC can now request it as an end user. I no longer have to go at it alone and hope someone will take it up with each of the other brands; not only on principle, but also on the chance that someone may be successful in securing the sources.

The above list is being updated as the non-compliant distributions are confirmed. It's literally growing by the hour.
And none of them probably has access to the source code.
I now predict that all other brands will also run with this xbmc_whatever.apk. if the effort of the few who want to have a compliant release is not supported ASAP.

I think it's a time to market battle as prices/profits will drop rapidly after a few months so no time to wait on xbmc.

I expect that as soon as the compliant release with the RK3288 fully supported becomes available all will use that.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?4