• 5(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
Hi,
I tried the usb 3.0 method, but it gets stuck at the windows logo. Tried to leave it overnight and no luck.
Any ideas?
I ordered a ssd to replace the original. What are the steps for the upgrade?
Thanks
Hi again,
My ssd is here...
Do I just take the old one out, pop the new one in and hit ctrl-l and then esc and then select the win 8 install usb stick?
Thanks, just want to make sure...
(2014-11-07, 18:49)gixie Wrote: Hi again,
My ssd is here...
Do I just take the old one out, pop the new one in and hit ctrl-l and then esc and then select the win 8 install usb stick?
Thanks, just want to make sure...

Assuming you are looking to run Windows8.1 exclusively on your new internal SSD, you'll want to run my EZ Setup Script in ChromeOS first, to flash the custom firmware, which will remove the need to hit CTRL-L on boot (and fix a lot of other issues).
Hi Matt,
Yeah, that's the idea, windows 8.1 only.
My Chromebox is already running your custom firmware, dual boot with OE.
I am not sure I understand what you mean...
Thanks for clearing this for me...
Also, from your experience, would 2 GB of RAM be enough for windows and Kodi?

OK, I think I understand what you mean... Choose standalone setup, right?
(2014-11-07, 19:08)gixie Wrote: Hi Matt,
Yeah, that's the idea, windows 8.1 only.
My Chromebox is already running your custom firmware, dual boot with OE.
I am not sure I understand what you mean...
Thanks for clearing this for me...
Also, from your experience, would 2 GB of RAM be enough for windows and Kodi?

OK, I think I understand what you mean... Choose standalone setup, right?

yes, run standalone setup. The dual boot setup only updates the legacy boot part of the stock firmware, not the entire thing; standalone replaces the stock firmware completely.

I'd throw another 2GB stick of ram in there, it's only $20 or so, and Windows has never been light on memory.
All right, duly noted, will post feedback as soon as I can
What about dual boot, windoze and OE? How would I go about that? Can I do windows on ssd and OE on a USB stick?
(2014-11-07, 20:11)gixie Wrote: What about dual boot, windoze and OE? How would I go about that? Can I do windows on ssd and OE on a USB stick?

you can do it on the ssd or on a USB stick (probably the easier option). With the new standalone firmware, the ChromeBox is just a regular PC now, so you have all the options that go with that.
And assuming I want everything back to stock, do I just put the old ssd in and restart?
(2014-11-08, 00:47)gixie Wrote: And assuming I want everything back to stock, do I just put the old ssd in and restart?

that, and you'll need to re-flash the stock firmware (which you backed up as part of the standalone setup) and use Google's recovery media. All of which is outlined in the wiki
Could somebody please let me know if the chromebox can successfully run dishanywhere.com?

I just want to make sure it works before I put in all the work to get a dual boot. In planning on plugging my sound bar into the chrome box via the audio jack and then just streaming the video to my tv via HDMI. Thanks in advance everyone.

-Clayton
A chromebox is just another PC once you have installed another OS.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi all,
I got it up and running...b
I have a few questions though
Does this box do dual channel memory? I am asking because I want to buy either another 2gb stick or a 4gb...
Is there any progress with the HDMI sound drivers?
Thanks all. The box is running silent, half of the memory is free and the cpu is hovering around 0.8 ghz. My 64gb ssd shows 48.2gb free...
(2014-11-09, 18:46)gixie Wrote: Hi all,
I got it up and running...b
I have a few questions though
Does this box do dual channel memory? I am asking because I want to buy either another 2gb stick or a 4gb...
Is there any progress with the HDMI sound drivers?
Thanks all. The box is running silent, half of the memory is free and the cpu is hovering around 0.8 ghz. My 64gb ssd shows 48.2gb free...

yes, it states dual channel on the wiki page. I recommend 2 matching sticks of whatever size.
no progress on HDMI sound - that ball is in Intel's court, since it's a driver issue, and the Windows drivers are not open source.
Oh bummer, I was hoping to add one of these and be all set...
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6820239853
Do you know of any 2gb stick that would work? I don't feel like buying a pair...
Btw, thanks for your amazing work and support! (How does one add to someone's rep?)
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4