• 57(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
(2017-05-31, 16:25)S.Singh Wrote: Hi Matt,
I tried your script last night...as usual it worked like a charm..Thanks Man Smile just a curious question : I was able to install refind script from Rod's website before but couldn't make Refind as my default boot loader; what command did you use? It was so painful to go pick manually every time boot from file & select refind boot loader until you saved me from this trouble.

Thank you!Angel

one of the limitations of the UEFI firmware on Chromebooks/boxes is that it only boots the default UEFI boot target/path, since it doesn't support NVRAM for the saving of settings etc. So your bootloader has to be /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi on the EFI System partition. So instead of installing rEFInd to /EFI/refind/refindx64.efi, I install it to /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi (with the required files in the /EFI/BOOT directory as well)
(2017-05-30, 08:38)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-05-22, 01:04)shamel Wrote: Hi Matt, thanks for your effort

I tried to follow these steps to dual boot
But it seems that the script install-refind.sh is deleted from your website & no longer available
https://mrchromebox.tech/install-refind.sh

Can you direct me how to proceed ?

Thanks

(2017-05-29, 22:53)S.Singh Wrote: Hi Matt,
I am also dealing with similar issue as Shamel. Can you please help us with Refind script?

Regards,

I couldn't find the old script so had to write a new one. Go ahead and try it and LMK how it goes

Hi Matt
Thank you so much
It worked for me Smile
Hello,
i have an old CN60 completely unused. I just need a computestick replacement...so i update the ram to 8gb and waiting for a new ssd (60gb Kingston).
I already tried to use windows few years ago with success. I read that now there is a new Bios...but didn't understand how to update it Sad
I try to check on mrchromebox.tech but don't understand how to do it!
Can u help me please?
thanks!
hello,
i just updated to last uefi version and updated with 8gb and 64gb ssd.
Running windows 10 and all works prefectly (exept for fan speed!)
Thanks Smile
Hi all. .We are discontinuing the usage of Chromebox for meetings and have CN62 model. I want to install windows 10 on it to use in conference rooms. Is this possible? I have tried searching but mostly all guides are for older versions of chromeboxes. I would want video/audio and wifi to work once windows 10 is installed. If you can point me in the right direction, i would greatly appreciate it. TIA.
(2017-08-25, 20:28)nrupalp Wrote: Hi all. .We are discontinuing the usage of Chromebox for meetings and have CN62 model. I want to install windows 10 on it to use in conference rooms. Is this possible? I have tried searching but mostly all guides are for older versions of chromeboxes. I would want video/audio and wifi to work once windows 10 is installed. If you can point me in the right direction, i would greatly appreciate it. TIA.

exact same instructions for the CN62 as the CN60 -- flash my UEFI firmware, install Windows from USB, install Speedfan and set to autorun at startup w/auto sped control. Done.
(2017-08-25, 23:06)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-08-25, 20:28)nrupalp Wrote: Hi all. .We are discontinuing the usage of Chromebox for meetings and have CN62 model. I want to install windows 10 on it to use in conference rooms. Is this possible? I have tried searching but mostly all guides are for older versions of chromeboxes. I would want video/audio and wifi to work once windows 10 is installed. If you can point me in the right direction, i would greatly appreciate it. TIA.

exact same instructions for the CN62 as the CN60 -- flash my UEFI firmware, install Windows from USB, install Speedfan and set to autorun at startup w/auto sped control. Done.

Sweet! I'll give it a shot. I'll need to upgrade the HD that's in the CB, correct? Or, can I install windows on a flash drive?
I got to the point where I got CB to boot from windows 10 install flash drive. I have another flash drive plugged in which i want to install Win 10 on but that doesn't show in "Where do you want to install Windows?" drive list. Can someone please give me a hand?
(2017-08-26, 16:27)nrupalp Wrote: I got to the point where I got CB to boot from windows 10 install flash drive. I have another flash drive plugged in which i want to install Win 10 on but that doesn't show in "Where do you want to install Windows?" drive list. Can someone please give me a hand?

You simply can't do that with Windows. There are ways to install/run Windows from a removable drive (see: Windows to Go), but you can't simply boot the USB installer and install to one. Other forums are better suited to guide you in that endeavor though, as there's nothing Chromebox-specific about it
I am having two very strange issues after a fresh install of windows 10:
- Whenever I put the PC to sleep, it shuts down completely. Windows then complains that the computer shut down unexpectedly
- I get the following warnings in the event log for the Broadcom AR946x adapter, multiple times a second:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Endpoint
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

BusBig Grinevice:Function: 0x2:0x0:0x0
Vendor IDBig Grinevice ID: 0x168C:0x34
Class Code: 0x18000

The details view of this entry contains further information.

I have the latest coreboot in UEFI mode.
Hey guys,

Firstly, Windows 10 works great on the ASUS Chromebox CN60. However, I have an issue when booting to Windows when a USB hard drive is connected. It simply displays the total RAM and freezes. If I enter the BIOS without the drive and plug in the drive while in the BIOS, the computer freezes.USB keyboard and mouse works fine to rule out the ports. The same USB drive works fine when is has cleared the boot screen (the rabbit) again ruling out the ports or the USB drive.

Just to be clear, Windows is installed and booting from the SSD inside the Chromebox. This USB drive is USB 3.0 and powered. As long as the boot screen(rabbit) is cleared, I can plug in the drive with no issues regardless of whether Windows itself has started. It freezes during boot, if the drive is plugged in before boot or in the BIOS( basically anytime before the rabbit). Is this normal behavior? Any suggestions?

Thank you.
(2017-09-22, 17:26)letchu22 Wrote: Hey guys,

Firstly, Windows 10 works great on the ASUS Chromebox CN60. However, I have an issue when booting to Windows when a USB hard drive is connected. It simply displays the total RAM and freezes. If I enter the BIOS without the drive and plug in the drive while in the BIOS, the computer freezes.USB keyboard and mouse works fine to rule out the ports. The same USB drive works fine when is has cleared the boot screen (the rabbit) again ruling out the ports or the USB drive.

Just to be clear, Windows is installed and booting from the SSD inside the Chromebox. This USB drive is USB 3.0 and powered. As long as the boot screen(rabbit) is cleared, I can plug in the drive with no issues regardless of whether Windows itself has started. It freezes during boot, if the drive is plugged in before boot or in the BIOS( basically anytime before the rabbit). Is this normal behavior? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

no, not normal behavior. The UEFI firmware scans for all available boot devices, with external devices getting the highest priority, Normally, if any external devices are found but not UEFI boot capable, then they are skipped. It would appear that your USB device is giving the firmware some trouble when it's being initialized/scanned. It could be a bug in your USB device's firmware, it could be a bug in the Chromebox firmware - hard to say. One thing you might try is using a USB hub in between the two as a buffer and see if that mitigates the issue.
I have an ancient HP Chromebox that I've successfully managed to have tri-booted, with Win10 on an external usb3 drive, and openelec and chrome on the internal.
Would the new UEFI bios allow me to tell it to boot directly from the USB drive everytime?

My goal, if this works, is to upgrade the m.2 to a 32G, and upgrade the mem, and run it as a torrenting device.
(2017-09-25, 04:01)mrmarkfr Wrote: I have an ancient HP Chromebox that I've successfully managed to have tri-booted, with Win10 on an external usb3 drive, and openelec and chrome on the internal.
Would the new UEFI bios allow me to tell it to boot directly from the USB drive everytime?

My goal, if this works, is to upgrade the m.2 to a 32G, and upgrade the mem, and run it as a torrenting device.

you can't run ChromeOS with the UEFI firmware, so that's a non-starter. But you can run ChromiumOS (or one of its derivatives, like CloudReady) and the UEFI firmware will automatically boot from UEFI-capable external devices
Perfect, thanks!! I'm not interested in keeping Chrome, was more curious if I would be able to boot from the external drive automatically, instead of having to go through Seabios, and hitting escape
  • 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4