• 20(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
(2015-03-29, 19:42)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 19:34)fma965 Wrote: That's not correct, i tried both standalone and dual and neither would boot windows with the MEI driver. on my HP Chromebox

I haven't tested with Win8, only 8.1/10, but both of them work fine with/require the MEI driver - though obviously I'm not bundling it with the OS install.

well that driver stops my system booting on windows 8.
As far as I'm concerned I use dual boot, thanks to Matt's patched legacy bios, btw thx thx thx !
(2015-03-29, 19:49)fma965 Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 19:42)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 19:34)fma965 Wrote: That's not correct, i tried both standalone and dual and neither would boot windows with the MEI driver. on my HP Chromebox

I haven't tested with Win8, only 8.1/10, but both of them work fine with/require the MEI driver - though obviously I'm not bundling it with the OS install.

well that driver stops my system booting on windows 8.

Also by fine you mean without HDMI audio right?
(2015-03-29, 20:11)fma965 Wrote: Also by fine you mean without HDMI audio right?

correct
DISM is included in windows 7 and above right?

OK my script is almost done.
This is what I get after following the guide on the previous post. : https://www.dropbox.com/s/46oj1cbgpugj0j...7.jpg?dl=0

I'm currently running a standalone openelec and I'm trying to hit Ctrl - L to boot from usb when the chromebox starts.. any idea ?
(2015-03-29, 21:50)Netix Wrote: This is what I get after following the guide on the previous post. : https://www.dropbox.com/s/46oj1cbgpugj0j...7.jpg?dl=0

I'm currently running a standalone openelec and I'm trying to hit Ctrl - L to boot from usb when the chromebox starts.. any idea ?

if your standalone you dont need to press CTRL + L, to boot from USB press ESC
If your USB isn't detected make sure the partition is marked as active.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK so my script does the following things

downloads the 3 drivers from gigabyte (optionally 4 if you say you using asus)
extracts them
extracts the double compressed one
mounts the wim, requires wim in source folder of script
adds the drivers 346 without MEI driver
unmounts wim
dism applies image to drive letter selected
bootrec to drive letter selected

The only thing you need to do is have 1 partition on the USB and mark the first partition as ACTIVE
(2015-03-29, 21:51)fma965 Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 21:50)Netix Wrote: This is what I get after following the guide on the previous post. : https://www.dropbox.com/s/46oj1cbgpugj0j...7.jpg?dl=0

If the chromebox boot directly into openelec and doesn't ask which boot drive to select, i guess it's because the usb drive isn't recognize ?
(2015-03-29, 22:00)Netix Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 21:51)fma965 Wrote:

If the chromebox boot directly into openelec and doesn't ask which boot drive to select, i guess it's because the usb drive isn't recognize ?

yeah check the partition is active and it has the bootmgr files if windows, also if windows then you may be better off waiting for my script, which should make it pretty much 1 click plus a few steps, if my test works then it's ready for release
(2015-03-29, 22:04)fma965 Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 22:00)Netix Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 21:51)fma965 Wrote: if your standalone you dont need to press CTRL + L, to boot from USB press ESC

yeah check the partition is active and it has the bootmgr files if windows, also if windows then you may be better off waiting for my script, which should make it pretty much 1 click plus a few steps, if my test works then it's ready for release

I'll wait for your script then. The partition is active but doesn't seem to boot. Thank you for the time you put into this fma Smile
(2015-03-29, 22:07)Netix Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 22:04)fma965 Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 22:00)Netix Wrote: If the chromebox boot directly into openelec and doesn't ask which boot drive to select, i guess it's because the usb drive isn't recognize ?

I'll wait for your script then. The partition is active but doesn't seem to boot. Thank you for the time you put into this fma Smile

OK, my test worked Smile so i think i'm good to release, Credits are in the script to everyone who helped, the script is probably extremely messy but it works. Give me about 5mins and i should have it up
Here is my script I have been working on to make installing windows 8 with working HDMI extremely painless

REQUIRES WINDOWS 7, 8, 8.1 OR 10 (TP) (XP/VISTA NOT SUPPORTED)

Download Link = http://cyanlabs.net/mydownloads.php?acti...cat&cid=15

Prepares in around 30mins to a USB3.0 SSD most of which is just download speed and injecting drivers

It automatically does the following things

1. Downloads and extracts the drivers from gigabyte's website (can choose mirror)
2. Mounts the WIM file (requires a install.wim file from the Windows 8 ISO put it in the source folder in the script folder)
3. Adds the drivers, optionally adds the asus required ones as well
4. Unmounts the WIM file
5. Applys WIM file to USB Drive (chosen letter)
6. Adds boot files

The only thing you need to do is make sure the install.wim file is in the source folder, have a internet connection and have 1 partition on your USB drive and have it as active

Making 1 partition and making it active
Load CMD then type "DISKPART"
Next type "list disk"
Find your disk then type "sel disk X" where X is your disk number
Type "clean" (will wipe everything)
Type "CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY'
Type format quick fs=ntfs label="OS"
Type "assign"
Type "ACTIVE"
Type "Exit"

PLEASE NOTE AT THIS POINT
It looks like it may have froze but has most likely not. Just be patient.

It may also take a while to get past "Getting devices ready 9%" again just wait!

I think i will move this to a new thread once i get some confirmation from people that it works Smile
(2015-03-29, 22:22)fma965 Wrote: Here is my script I have been working on to make installing windows 8 with working HDMI extremely painless

This is what I got.. the usb drive is empty after the process :

(2015-03-30, 00:00)Netix Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 22:22)fma965 Wrote: Here is my script I have been working on to make installing windows 8 with working HDMI extremely painless

This is what I got.. the usb drive is empty after the process :

When asked for the drive letter don't add the colon. e.g. F not F:
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4