Req Chromecast
Wink 
Is the a way to play content from XBMC ( KODI ) to CHromecast ?
I Know you can stream the entire desktop to chromecast but it stutters on the TV.
The is an Chromecast App called Videostream for Google Chromecast that works perfect but i can't acces it directly so it is to difficult.
Is there somebuddy able to ready somthing for XBMC lovers with a Chromecast.

Regards Big Grin

P.s. The request is for a Windows 8 pc.
I know the are more people asking but my request i for a Kodi version for Chromecast this is the Dream.
Then i don't need my Raspberry any more.
This is not possible and won't be until google decides to Open it up for 3rd party usage (which they simply don't do atm)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Sorry memphiz but that is so not true it isn't even funny.

All it takes is a bit of discovery code to find the CCast and to create a player to load it in...
yes you need to get it whitelisted but thats not a problem for anyone else.

Even Plex supports CCast now!
it is true.
read the facts

Plex is not opensource. We are and only use opensource code.

If you want to create a CCast library, go ahead and provide us one. So far none of us are interested in doing that afaik
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Just use plex then...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
besides that, use the search function next time
many times asked, always same answer.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Last statement - i never said i am funny ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-09-02, 10:44)Asphyx Wrote: Sorry memphiz but that is so not true it isn't even funny.

All it takes is a bit of discovery code to find the CCast and to create a player to load it in...
yes you need to get it whitelisted but thats not a problem for anyone else.

Even Plex supports CCast now!

I think Memphiz was talking about the ability to have XBMC on the Chromecast itself, as OP didn't want to cast their entire screen. If you just want the video from XBMC to play on Chromecast, and not the XBMC GUI, then that is very different and is indeed possible. As far as I know, no one on the team is currently interested, or is interested but doesn't have the free time, to add this. At least not "natively" from within XBMC itself.
(2014-09-02, 13:32)Ned Scott Wrote: I think Memphiz was talking about the ability to have XBMC on the Chromecast itself, as OP didn't want to cast their entire screen. If you just want the video from XBMC to play on Chromecast, and not the XBMC GUI, then that is very different and is indeed possible. As far as I know, no one on the team is currently interested, or is interested but doesn't have the free time, to add this. At least not "natively" from within XBMC itself.

Thank you Ned! (for not giving snarky idiotic and uninformed answers like the others did and do often whenever a feature request is made)
I agree the GUI would be difficult and maybe even impossible...
But Playing back content to a CCast is not that difficult...I do Understand that it might not be a priority for the Devs wih the new Kodi taking front stage,
But I also think at some point The project should work towards some support for this type of functionality not just for CCast but any DLNA Target on the Network.

A Simple button built into the player that lets you transfer content to a device on another TV would be a very good feature these days, It puts Kodi into the realm of WHOLE HOUSE DVR without the cost of having an HTPC on every TV.
The snarky comments are probably due to you saying something is easy when it's not, thus revealing your lack of technical knowledge. Now admittedly I don't have a great deal of knowledge in this area either, but from what I know Chromecast is not much more than Chrome browser (hence name) on a stick, and as such only supports a very limited set of file & media types.

Plex most likely get round this because their server application can transcoded non-supported formats into supported ones. XBMC currently has no such transcoding ability so can only send or playback files in their native format, so because of that supporting Chromecast is out of question for us at the current time. You could however setup something similar to Chromecast with a proper Android stick running XBMC which could then act as a UPnP/DLNA target.
(2014-09-03, 06:11)Asphyx Wrote: But Playing back content to a CCast is not that difficult...
unless your meda is not formatted such that chromecast can play it
Quote:I do Understand that it might not be a priority for the Devs wih the new Kodi taking front stage,
But I also think at some point The project should work towards some support for this type of functionality not just for CCast but any DLNA Target on the Network.
in any item in your library choose context menu, play using and choose your dlna device. Of course the retarded implementation of your TV manufacturer must support what you are sending - similar issue to chromecast
Quote:A Simple button built into the player that lets you transfer content to a device on another TV would be a very good feature these days, It puts Kodi into the realm of WHOLE HOUSE DVR without the cost of having an HTPC on every TV.
See above, but of course XBMC is not a DigitalVideoRecorder. It is a media player, with the ability to access various PVR (ie DVR) back ends.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-03, 09:39)jjd-uk Wrote: The snarky comments are probably due to you saying something is easy when it's not, thus revealing your lack of technical knowledge.
I work in broadcasting and deal with media on a level far beyond anything XBMC does which in it's most difficult of operations scrapes media and enters information into a database. It's a great GUI for playing media and I don't see why it limits playback to itself when it is quite easy to send media to other devices.
As for transcoding thats about the easiest thing to do these days, All it takes is FFMPEG and tell it to send an H.264 AAC stream which is compatible with just about EVERY device created after 1999 including Smart TVs

Pick the right transcode format and no problem with sending video to any device.

(2014-09-03, 10:12)nickr Wrote: unless your meda is not formatted such that chromecast can play it
Just about everyone maintaining a Video Library these days are using the H264/AAC spec to maintain compatibility with all of their devices including Smart TVs, Phones, and Tablets.

And as I pointed out to the other guy, Transcoding is not all that hard provided you select the right codec combination for proper transfer. (again said H.264/AAC)

(2014-09-03, 10:12)nickr Wrote: in any item in your library choose context menu, play using and choose your dlna device. Of course the retarded implementation of your TV manufacturer must support what you are sending - similar issue to chromecast See above, but of course XBMC is not a DigitalVideoRecorder. It is a media player, with the ability to access various PVR (ie DVR) back ends.

I run my PVR on the same box as my XBMC so for all intents and purposes my XBMC is also my DVR. Those I save get properly renamed and placed into the proper folder in the library so XBMC can scan them as library content.
If it really was the easiest thing to add then someone would have added transcoding by now. We had a developer who was working on transcoding but he had to see to other things in his life/job/etc, and he didn't have enough time for his XBMC/Kodi related projects.

I don't know anything about programming, so maybe it really is easy, but this guy was really smart and if he couldn't get it done in a weekend then I'm inclined to believe that it isn't "that easy". I'd love for someone to prove me wrong, but not a single person has so far.
(2014-09-07, 04:15)Asphyx Wrote:
(2014-09-03, 09:39)jjd-uk Wrote: The snarky comments are probably due to you saying something is easy when it's not, thus revealing your lack of technical knowledge.
I work in broadcasting and deal with media on a level far beyond anything XBMC does which in it's most difficult of operations scrapes media and enters information into a database. It's a great GUI for playing media and I don't see why it limits playback to itself when it is quite easy to send media to other devices.
As for transcoding thats about the easiest thing to do these days, All it takes is FFMPEG and tell it to send an H.264 AAC stream which is compatible with just about EVERY device created after 1999 including Smart TVs

Pick the right transcode format and no problem with sending video to any device.

(2014-09-03, 10:12)nickr Wrote: unless your meda is not formatted such that chromecast can play it
Just about everyone maintaining a Video Library these days are using the H264/AAC spec to maintain compatibility with all of their devices including Smart TVs, Phones, and Tablets.
I don't want aac sound because my amplifier doesn't decode aac. Also I prefer the untranscoded sound that the studio put on the bluray or dvd. Most people on this forum certainly don't use aac sound.
Quote:And as I pointed out to the other guy, Transcoding is not all that hard provided you select the right codec combination for proper transfer. (again said H.264/AAC)
You have a solution for every hardware platform and operating system that XBMC runs on? Solutions for one platform only are a no go.
Quote:
(2014-09-03, 10:12)nickr Wrote: in any item in your library choose context menu, play using and choose your dlna device. Of course the retarded implementation of your TV manufacturer must support what you are sending - similar issue to chromecast See above, but of course XBMC is not a DigitalVideoRecorder. It is a media player, with the ability to access various PVR (ie DVR) back ends.

I run my PVR on the same box as my XBMC so for all intents and purposes my XBMC is also my DVR. Those I save get properly renamed and placed into the proper folder in the library so XBMC can scan them as library content.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-07, 04:15)Asphyx Wrote:

You maybe right that a simple web type stream could easy to do, but my understanding is that if we were to add transcoding we would want to do it properly, which would mean sending the highest quality compatible with the end device. My understanding is this would necessitate communication via UPnP to find out which video and audio types are supported, and to what level, meaning we would also have maintain device profiles that could be manually overidden.

If it so easy then perhaps you know someone in the broadcasting industry that could code it for us, ffmpeg is already built into xbmc as we use it to provide decoders for our internal players, and any such addition would be highly welcome.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromecast1