• 5(current)
Cloud Media 4K XBMC Player
Hi,

I have a HDI Dune Prime 3 which I still love and use, I also have Popcorn A-410 and by far the best picture I have seen from a media player with Sigma VXP processing since buying it in Feb 2014 popcorn have released 4 firmware updates.

I was looking for small passive cooled box that can do XBMC and was looking at the Nuc with passive cooled case.

Thanks
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
better to go with nuc and open elec

i don't trust anymore syabas
As I understand it the box comes without XBMC/Kodi but with an advise to download the APK.

There also is a statement that Rockchip who build the SoC is working with XBMC developers to enable the hardware features... I dont see any exclusive forks.. just a way to expedite RK3288 support in XBMC.

Openhour claims a open system where all is running of a SD card no internal NAND with code or OS.... feel free to load your own.

I'm a bit amazed about all the negativity in this thread.

In the media player market Syabas/cloudmedia went through rough times and made their mistakes, but on average IMHO they still have the best product and user support on this market..... and they are still there.
(2014-09-09, 11:32)Willem55 Wrote: In the media player market Syabas/cloudmedia went through rough times and made their mistakes, but on average IMHO they still have the best product and user support on this market..... and they are still there.

They've unfortunately got a bit of a bad reputation in some quarters after some of the bugs on the Popcorn Hour series, and perhaps this accounts for the changes with the release of this product, with them moving to a different SoC vendor. I've often wondered how much control they actually had over getting issues resolved, the impression I got was that they were very much reliant on the SDK and firmware supplied by Sigma Designs for their SoC's.
Just like every other media player manufacturer is dependent on the SoC company for the SDK.... but compared to the competition they did OK so that reputation is relatively fine.
I think it's a smart move to go for a open system and join up with the XBMC community to get the most out of the RockChip 3288.... as Sigma was a bit difficult regarding the mediaplayer market.
I remember Sigma also promising XBMC support a few years ago...... that never happened.
Competition will be heavy as there are a lot more companies making players based on the RK3288 compared to the 2 that now do Sigma SoC...
So far openhour appears to be going for a quality product with a full aluminium heatsink casing, WiKi and user forum up and running a month before shipping the first batch.
(2014-09-09, 14:16)Willem55 Wrote: Just like every other media player manufacturer is dependent on the SoC company for the SDK.... but compared to the competition they did OK so that reputation is relatively fine.
I think it's a smart move to go for a open system and join up with the XBMC community to get the most out of the RockChip 3288.... as Sigma was a bit difficult regarding the mediaplayer market.
I remember Sigma also promising XBMC support a few years ago...... that never happened.
Competition will be heavy as there are a lot more companies making players based on the RK3288 compared to the 2 that now do Sigma SoC...
So far openhour appears to be going for a quality product with a full aluminium heatsink casing, WiKi and user forum up and running a month before shipping the first batch.

And the source for their custom xbmc?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have a C-200 that I bought in 2009, though it hasn't been used now in well over 2 years. The firmware situation turned into a disaster, particularly the jukebox solution once Syabas chose to base it on Adobe Flash just as everyone decided Flash was a technological dead end. This was a feature promised at launch, that took 18 months to appear, only for it to be an absolute turkey (slow, buggy, limited functionality, awful). At that point I knew there was no hope and switched to XBMC - OpenELEC on Revo 3700 hardware that cost less than the C-200 while being vastly more capable - and haven't looked back.

Syabas were always quick to blame Sigma for problems with development and bug fixing (no doubt the jukebox was all Adobes fault), with products never being fully developed (ie. features promised at launch never actually being delivered) before being effectively dropped once the next big thing (C-300) came along. Literally all their products ended up being half-baked - over promised, under delivered.

I can only hope they don't repeat this with Rockchip and Kodi but won't be surprised if they do, their unfortunate reputation is well deserved but it would be great if they can start to change that. I, however, won't be risking my cash hoping they get things right for once - this has already got off to a pretty shaky start!
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Just goes to prove the old adage, never buy a tech product on the promise of future features. It works now or it it never happened.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Indeed. Back then, this was my first foray into the world of media centers, when Syabas were somehow considered Top Dog - yes, very good picture quality but that was about it. I spent ages messing about with YAMJ building the kind of library already possible natively on XBMC, then when Syabas finally delivered their NMJ jukebox effort I knew it was time to cut my losses and move on.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
That only kinda works in today's environment. Most products are still in development when released, so they require firmware/app updates. Key is do you trust the manufacturer behind the product to deliver in a reasonable time? As an example in the media player (Sigma, Reaktek chips) world, I trust Mede8er, but not Cloud Media. In the Android TV world, we don't know yet. Google's history is tainted (Google TV), but they're big, have money and muscle. On the other hand, Cloud Media, Minix, Tronsmart and you name it, big on potential, but I'm not sold on delivery.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-09-09, 14:21)nickr Wrote: And the source for their custom xbmc?

What custom xbmc?
red herring for Rockchip working with some xbmc developers to get the most out of their RK3288 SoC.
If not on android than on Linux.. what's so bad about that?
hey, there's some updates on this device here - Cloud Media Open Hour Chameleon 4K – IFA 2014 Updates
UI looks pretty slick, gotta admit.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-09-09, 14:41)Willem55 Wrote:
(2014-09-09, 14:21)nickr Wrote: And the source for their custom xbmc?

What custom xbmc?
red herring for Rockchip working with some xbmc developers to get the most out of their RK3288 SoC.
If not on android than on Linux.. what's so bad about that?

Post 11

Quote:Currently H.265 hardware support is fork from XBMC.
Remote seems to be really cheap and not backlighted

i hope there will be compatible remot
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cloud Media 4K XBMC Player7