Broadcom Crystal HD not working anymore in Kodi
Today I upgraded my Gotham 13.1 installation to Kodi 14.0. Since this is a quite old Atom CPU it has a Broadcom Crystal HD card on board. (The machine is a WeTab running Windows 8.1) Unfortunately Kodi 14.0 doesn't support the HD accelerator card anymore. So I went back to Gotham 13.2 and the card is working again.

Has the support for the card been removed on purpose in Kodi 14.0? Is there a way to enable this again?
Crystal HD support has been remove for Kodi 14.0 Helix

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5105
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Ok, thanks! It is a pity though, but I will continue to use Gotham.

Why the support for Crystal HD has been removed I don't really get. In the other thread someone mentions it is broken, but it isn't....at least not in my case...

It was my one reason for using XBMC as Windows Media Center doesn't use the Broadcom Crystal HD either.
OSMC (wiki) seems to plan on supporting BCHD in their future modified version of Kodi. That might be something to keep an eye on.
But that is not for Windows 8.1...right?
That's right.

Crystal HD support had to be removed because we were getting bug reports we could not fix because no one maintains the upstream drivers/api's we use for Crystal HD anymore. It's possible support maybe added again using the ffmpeg implementation which is still maintained, however it needs someone from the community to step forward and code it as the Team has no interest in using our limited resources & time to do it when even that could become unmaintainable at any time. Unfortunately for users there's lack of any open source dev interest in Crystal HD anymore, so it's probably time to move onto more modern hardware.
I understand. It's not like I paid one cent for the software, so I am very happy with what I can get so far! Smile

Obviously I have moved to more modern hardware. These are just two tablets that I have laying around. If it is possible to use them, why not? Smile
In which case stick with Gotham for those if you've not encountered any bugs, but do so in the knowledge that any bugs you do hit won't be looked at anymore, and also note that over time you may find you won't be able to get addon updates.
I assume BCHD support would be expected to drop from OpenELEC as well?
(2014-09-05, 14:51)whitebelly Wrote: I assume BCHD support would be expected to drop from OpenELEC as well?

for OE5.0 (HELIX) yes.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-09-05, 14:51)whitebelly Wrote: I assume BCHD support would be expected to drop from OpenELEC as well?

Support has already been remove from master.

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/pull/3382
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
So, I stick with XBMC Gotham for my tablets using BCHD. And now (Windows 10) I moved from WMC to Kodi for my other machines. I have found a nice skin for Kodi (Mimic) is it possible to load that for XBMC as well?
Just out of curiousity... no chance of this ever coming back in new Kodi versions? Like Kodi 17 Wink
If you submit it, with the requested changes, why not?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Since there seems to be a problem with the API that can be used for Broadcom Crystal HD. It still seems to be working nice on my quite old tablets!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Broadcom Crystal HD not working anymore in Kodi0