Display captions for pictures
Picasa and Windows Explorer and other programs can all add captions/subtitles to pictures.

It'd be great if when XBMC displays pictures, it could read the IPTC metadata for these captions and display them like Picasa, and Google+ and other photo viewers do.
Couldn't agree more, it's very difficult to find a good photo viewer which shows the description or caption of a photo. I think this should be a basic requirement of all viewers in this age of digital photography where fewer and fewer people print and annote their snaps by writing on the back. I have seen somewhere in the forums a method of achieving this by amending the slideshow.exe file, but I couldn't get this to work. It would be useful to be able to select the field for display e.g. description or caption and be able to toggle the caption on or off. Here's hoping this becomes a standard feature in future releases.
This can be easily achieved by adding a label control to the skin you're using.
For confluence, add the following to "addons/skin.confluence/720p/SlideShow.xml" (anywhere within the <controls> tag):[/php]

Code:
<!-- Picture infos -->
<control type="label">
  <description>caption</description>
  <posx>25</posx>
  <posy>50r</posy>
  <width>1000</width>
  <height>25</height>
  <align>left</align>
  <font>font13</font>
  <textcolor>white</textcolor>
  <shadowcolor>black</shadowcolor>
  <label>$INFO[slideshow.exifdescription]</label>
</control>

See http://kodi.wiki/view/InfoLabels#Slideshow for a list of accessible data
Thanks for this cfetzer,

...after a tortuous struggle with windows 8 file properties I finally managed to change slideshow.xml as you suggested and it worked. I wanted to display captions I have added in Picasa so I changed "slideshow.exifdescription" to "slideshow.caption" and that worked. So great for Kodi running on W8. However I would also like to have it on Android version as well. Any suggestions of where slideshow.xml is in the android version?

Many thanks again.
You can actually copy your skin.confluence folder from Windows and put it in the addons folder (in the xbmc folder that is parent to the userdata folder (wiki)).
Thanks Ned,

It worked a treat. You get by with a little help from your XMBC/KODI friends.
Hi,

So I have succeeded with your good help in getting Picasa captions displayed in XBMC/KODI for both Windows and Android variants. However I am still struggling to get the same working in Raspberry Pi (either OPENElec or RaspBMC). Whenever I try to replace slideshow.xml in either it doesn't change, even if I set the file manager to allow file deletion / replace. Also if I view the SD card in either windows or linux, the file structures containing skin.confluence are missing. Any suggestions?

Many thanks
On openelec confluence is in the read-only filesystem. However you can copy the whole skin from /usr/share/xbmc/addons to ~/.xbmc/addons/

Once copied it will be editable and will be given precedence over what is in /usr.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks nickr - worked a treat.

By the way where' the plus button?
No problems. You need to have posted 10x before you get the plus button. Your thanks are sufficient.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi again,

I (perhaps foolishly) updated my RaspPi Openelec to the current version, (Has Krypton KODI) and the slideshow mod I did as nickr suggested no longer works. Any suggestions to make the captions happen on this version of OpenElec?

Thanks
Hi,

Just to clarify, re problems adding captions above, I am now running LibreElec 8.1.1. I have put the copies of skin directories (which are working on windows) in the add-ons directory of my profile directory. I think this should have worked -but it doesn't. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Could you explain to in novice language how this is done. Windows Media Centre WAS the only Slideshow Viewer where you could see your captions and Picasa is the only other one but this is no longer supported and is not part of a Media Centre programme. Kodi can show captions in slideshow mode if you hit the 'i' key but it is a bit of a take over bid as you have all the EXIF information to the right. Wouldn't it be great if we had a simple add on that could control what information was seen and how it is displayed basically all I am interested is the caption without the file extension or date. I am quite happy with the font size and colour and position but it would be great if we had a simple add on that would let us control the font size, colour, position, background and transparency. A white font is usually good unless the picture in the background is white. Also it could be an additional to view the date but I would like to also be able to choose the date format, here in the UK it dd/mm/yy. It beggars belief that designers of Slideshow Programmers seem think NOBODY wants to know what they are looking at!!!!
Hi,

I agree : Kodi miss displaying picture captions. I hope this feature will be added next.

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Display captions for pictures1