• 17(current)
Dolby atmos
Lol - we are no "money gathering company" :-) But thanks very much. this post restored my trust in humanity :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-06-24, 10:42)KILLERNADS Wrote:
(2015-06-23, 17:43)uNiversal Wrote: Kodi would show truehd flag, receiver would show atmos. I think that's already been explained earlier.

And yes you need kodi not xbmc, v14.2 or newer. ANd yes you want to place kittens and babies into protective custody, insure the house and wear a blast suit.

Okay excellent, thank you. Not sure where you were going with the end bit there but looks like an update is due! Big Grin

PS:- Hopefully we can get updates soon that will show Atmos and DTS:X flags in Kodi?
The problem is that Atmos is not ''tagged'' in the stream. But think that it must SOMEHOW be possible to make it manually possible to show that the movies is in Atmos.......
Don't dream your life, live your dream
WinkMake sure to donate if you are truly happy. http://kodi.tv/contribute/donate/

Just did Wink
(2015-10-15, 12:46)THX-UltraII Wrote:
(2015-06-24, 10:42)KILLERNADS Wrote:
(2015-06-23, 17:43)uNiversal Wrote: Kodi would show truehd flag, receiver would show atmos. I think that's already been explained earlier.

And yes you need kodi not xbmc, v14.2 or newer. ANd yes you want to place kittens and babies into protective custody, insure the house and wear a blast suit.

Okay excellent, thank you. Not sure where you were going with the end bit there but looks like an update is due! Big Grin

PS:- Hopefully we can get updates soon that will show Atmos and DTS:X flags in Kodi?
The problem is that Atmos is not ''tagged'' in the stream. But think that it must SOMEHOW be possible to make it manually possible to show that the movies is in Atmos.......

If ffmpeg did it then Kodi could as well, this has been explained several times in this thread.
hi I have my HTPC running kodi hooked up to my pioneer slx58, running 5.2.4 atmos setup, the atmos speakers (4 ceiling ) work fine when playing Transformers through my blu ray player, (and receiver dsplays atmos), I have backed my disc up into mkv via makemkv and ripped the dolby true atmos hd audio file. However when viewing the receiver is showing PCM (and showing true hd only on kodi info), and there is nothing at all coming out of my ceiling speakers. My understanding was kodi could decode atmos, can anyone advise?, do I need to run an add on ?.. thanks
It can - but not on ancient version that are wrongly configured.

Upgrade to 6.0.0 and enable Passthrough. Kodi will tell you TrueHD, but your AVR will tell Atmos. Why? Read this thread. One does not come as the last one and ignoring everything that was written before that.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
thanks , ive now sussed it with some messing about in kodi, and applying the info from this thread, receiver now displaying atmos and the speakers are working so im a happy bunny.. thanks
(2015-11-03, 21:18)fritsch Wrote: It can - but not on ancient version that are wrongly configured.

Upgrade to 6.0.0 and enable Passthrough. Kodi will tell you TrueHD, but your AVR will tell Atmos. Why? Read this thread. One does not come as the last one and ignoring everything that was written before that.

I am about to buy a new media box to replace my old 2011 Boxee Box. I am looking at the NVIDIA Shield. I was reading the NVIDIA forum and it said that Dolby Atmos Passthrough needs to be implemented by the apps. So my question to you: will Kodi passthrough Dolby Atmos sound with running on a NVIDIA Shield?

Thank you!
Nobody knows as of now. Work has started - but not finished. Also I don't know of Atmos at all - I only saw TrueHD / DTS-HD in the api. But as Atmos is sent the same way when bitstreaming - chances are there.

I think this question no one can answer for now, besides koying - when he is finished ;-)
(2015-11-03, 21:05)breers Wrote: hi I have my HTPC running kodi hooked up to my pioneer slx58, running 5.2.4 atmos setup, the atmos speakers (4 ceiling ) work fine when playing Transformers through my blu ray player, (and receiver dsplays atmos), I have backed my disc up into mkv via makemkv and ripped the dolby true atmos hd audio file. However when viewing the receiver is showing PCM (and showing true hd only on kodi info), and there is nothing at all coming out of my ceiling speakers. My understanding was kodi could decode atmos, can anyone advise?, do I need to run an add on ?.. thanks

This may be a dumb question, but are you sure that makemkv is doing a true passtru and not affecting the encoding.

Because, If you search thru the various forums there were issues reported by others. One of the member in another forum mentioned that they ripped the same Transformer movie into mkv and tried to play it in oppo and it didn't recognize the 'dolby atmos' encoding and the thread is 'Unable to rip Dolby TrueHD from Dolby Atmos BD using MakeMKV - help please!'
Provided you are using a recent version of MakeMKV, it should work fine - I've had no issues, although I don't have that particular disk. It must be bitstream you pass to reciever/processor - Kodi cannot decode Atmos.
Any updates on the atmos tagging? Tried to implement the workaround mods but can't find variables.xml. is that file skin specific? I use confluence and would prefer to keep using it. If must use another skin, for which skins wil the code changes work?

Jim

By the way - for those intrested, I successfully Bitstream truehd, atmos and dtsMA from openelec 6 to my marantz 7702mk2 with no problem. Using a self built htpc based on asrock n3700.
(2015-12-12, 17:45)zigzag930 Wrote: Any updates on the atmos tagging? Tried to implement the workaround mods but can't find variables.xml. is that file skin specific? I use confluence and would prefer to keep using it. If must use another skin, for which skins wil the code changes work?

Jim

By the way - for those intrested, I successfully Bitstream truehd, atmos and dtsMA from openelec 6 to my marantz 7702mk2 with no problem. Using a self built htpc based on asrock n3700.

I'm looking at rebuilding my system to support Dolby Atmos. Would you mind sharing all of your hardware specs? Thanks!
Ultimachi,

Very simple h/w specs. I use a ASRock N3700-ITX motherboard, installed in a basic ITX chassis. The motherboard received (2) 4Gb RAM modules (for parallel memory access). Instead of a HDD or SSD, I installed openelec 6.0 onto a 16GB mini USB stick and plugged it into one of the 6 USB ports on the back of the ITX. For IR remote, I purchased a Lenovo IR and remote control which is MCE5 compatible.

This powerful little HTPC is fed to a Marantz AV7702mk2 processor and JVC DILA projector.

Cost was approx $150 for all the HTPC stuff. I do have a strange issue with the ASRock board, when booting into ROM configuration, but that does not effect anything as far as the KODI application is concerned. Pretty much all BIOS is set to factory anyway.
(2015-12-30, 03:59)ultimachi Wrote:
(2015-12-12, 17:45)zigzag930 Wrote: Any updates on the atmos tagging? Tried to implement the workaround mods but can't find variables.xml. is that file skin specific? I use confluence and would prefer to keep using it. If must use another skin, for which skins wil the code changes work?

Jim

I'm looking at rebuilding my system to support Dolby Atmos. Would you mind sharing all of your hardware specs? Thanks!

As long as you can bitstream Dolby TrueHD, you should be good to go. The rest is up to the media software and AV equipment.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby atmos3