• 19(current)
Dolby atmos
Alright, so let's review the final verdict here.

Some people, in this thead no less, say Kodi can output Atmos and some say it can't. Some claim it to be working right off-the-box if you tick the TrueHD checkbox in the settings and some say you need DSPlayer with LAV-filters.
Some people even claim their AVR display the Dolby Atmos-logo during playback and, well.. Some do not.

I for one face a similar situation; I've downloaded the Atmos samples from demo-world.eu and tried to no avail getting Atmos displayed on the receiver. I end up with "Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Surround", which kinda matches Atmos since it's embedded in the TrueHD-stream. Atmos logo or not, I can't say for sure if I'm hearing true Atmos or if I'm just hearing the standard locked channels that we're used to from good 'ol DD / DTS. Does anyone more sound savvy than me have an answer to it? Am I really hearing the real McCoy here and have just been pulling my hair in vain from not seeing the logo on the receiver? Smile
Our passthrough code for TrueHD also submits the Atmos bits. This works on AVRs supporting it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Final? No such thing.. but the "current" verdict:

Yes Atmos pass thru works with Kodi (at least 15+ versions, maybe earlier). HOWEVER, hardware may limit the software, so there are case where you will not be able to bitstream Atmos because your h/w will not support that capability.

I have an intel SBC (2015 vintage) and I do know that Atmos pass thru VIA HDMI works great. The Atoms indicator on my processor is on for Atmos encoded movies. I have over 20 of them and they all work. I run openelec 6.0 on N3700ITX hardware, bit streaming to Marantz processor. I had to replace my Kodi box as my older h/w did not have the ability to do the HD audio via HDMI, (it only supported lossy DD and DTS)

So to recap, your processor must support Atmos, you must BITSTREAM from your kodi, your hardware must support HD audio over HDMI and all your settings in Kodi must be correct.
If you see Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Surround at the display your receiver uses the 7.1 signal from the stream not the Atmos information. The +Dolby Surround indicates the receiver use the Dolby upxmixer.
If you have an Atmos file and bitstream your receiver should show Dolby Atmos on the display.

I own a Denon x5200w and i play my files with Kodi 16. I always have Dolby Atmos in the display. So i can confirm it works fine. If you don't have Atmos in the display it could be a wrong receiver configuration
or your hardware is not capable to bitstream or a wrong configuration in your hardware/software.
We send full IEC frames and just "copy" this extradata into the payload. We cannot decode it, but we can passthrough it. Everything kodi sends out is untouched and keeps the atmos bits in place.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-02-29, 15:44)zigzag930 Wrote: Final? No such thing.. but the "current" verdict:

Yes Atmos pass thru works with Kodi (at least 15+ versions, maybe earlier). HOWEVER, hardware may limit the software, so there are case where you will not be able to bitstream Atmos because your h/w will not support that capability.

I have an intel SBC (2015 vintage) and I do know that Atmos pass thru VIA HDMI works great. The Atoms indicator on my processor is on for Atmos encoded movies. I have over 20 of them and they all work. I run openelec 6.0 on N3700ITX hardware, bit streaming to Marantz processor. I had to replace my Kodi box as my older h/w did not have the ability to do the HD audio via HDMI, (it only supported lossy DD and DTS)

So to recap, your processor must support Atmos, you must BITSTREAM from your kodi, your hardware must support HD audio over HDMI and all your settings in Kodi must be correct.

Aha, interesting!
Lovely reply, it gave me alot of useful tidbits =)

I'm a bit confused though, I thought bitstreaming was equivalent with pass-through. In that case the computer feeding the source material to the AVR shouldn't really matter, as long as the HDMI cable supports it, right?
I can imagine most users use the built-in soundcard on their motherboard to pass the audio along. I am, anyway, and by looking at the properties for the audio device in Windows I can see a bunch of formats available under the Supported Formats section. Even Dolby TrueHD - which is making this even weirder. I'd dare rule out the HDMI cable being the culprit in that case.
Granted, the laptop is quite old but I'll try with a newer one tonight (along with a new HDMI cable to be sure) and report back. Thanks for the quick replies guys Big Grin <3
(2016-02-29, 17:25)LordWoot Wrote: Aha, interesting!

I'm a bit confused though, I thought bitstreaming was equivalent with pass-through. In that case the computer feeding the source material to the AVR shouldn't really matter, as long as the HDMI cable supports it, right?
I can imagine most users use the built-in soundcard on their motherboard to pass the audio along. I am, anyway, and by looking at the properties for the audio device in Windows I can see a bunch of formats available under the Supported Formats section. Even Dolby TrueHD - which is making this even weirder. I'd dare rule out the HDMI cable being the culprit in that case.
Granted, the laptop is quite old but I'll try with a newer one tonight (along with a new HDMI cable to be sure) and report back. Thanks for the quick replies guys Big Grin <3

If Windows lists TrueHD then your problem is most likely this:

(2016-02-29, 17:16)_Andy_ Wrote: If you don't have Atmos in the display it could be a wrong receiver configuration
or your hardware is not capable to bitstream or a wrong configuration in your hardware/software.
Since Atmos is nothing more than a TrueHD stream with some extensions then the AVR needs to be told how to handle it, so in the AVR configuration there will usually be something to tell the AVR whether to decode as a normal TrueHD stream or as Atmos.
(2016-02-29, 17:35)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2016-02-29, 17:25)LordWoot Wrote: Aha, interesting!

If Windows lists TrueHD then your problem is most likely this:

(2016-02-29, 17:16)_Andy_ Wrote: If you don't have Atmos in the display it could be a wrong receiver configuration
Since Atmos is nothing more than a TrueHD stream with some extensions then the AVR needs to be told how to handle it, so in the AVR configuration there will usually be something to tell the AVR whether to decode as a normal TrueHD stream or as Atmos.

Problem solved!
Thanks Andy, your train of thought led me right to the culprit Big Grin
It turned out to be an AVR configuration issue, flat and simple.
Apparently the Denon AVR-X2200W refuse to even accept Atmos-encoded bitsteams if an Atmos-enabled speaker hasn't been configured in the setup process. Which, of course, is something we apparently overlooked. The error has been corrected and we can now enjoy true Atmos, as seen by the Atmos-logo in the AVR!

Thanks a bunch everyone!
Now just msg me all your CC details everyone just to keep things correct and above board Smile
I'll do better than that and just upload the images of the Kodi config to imgur and post here:
http://imgur.com/a/oUmkA
(2016-03-03, 17:45)LordWoot Wrote: I'll do better than that and just upload the images of the Kodi config to Imgur and post here:

Change the WASAPI default to the other WASAPI option, usually, that would have the name of your HDMI Audio driver.

I hope this help!!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-03-03, 20:33)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-03-03, 17:45)LordWoot Wrote: I'll do better than that and just upload the images of the Kodi config to Imgur and post here:

Change the WASAPI default to the other WASAPI option, usually, that would have the name of your HDMI Audio driver.

I hope this help!!

Oh, everything's working with the configuration I posted. I uploaded it for Derek's sake as well as for other people who might have run in to the same issue =)
Hi

New to this forum, i have 2 question.
1. what type of hardware require to play dolby atmos, i check ith s812(m8s), not work, but i check with my core i5 laptop then it works with marantz 7009, will it work with core i3 processor 1.3 2gb ram and openelec 6.0.1.

2. what type of hardware need to play 3d movies i try s812, and my laptop, but it play movie but showing horizantly or verticaly same movie side by side ,i mean not working 3d

Thanking you
Lucky Ahuja
(2016-02-29, 17:16)_Andy_ Wrote: If you see Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Surround at the display your receiver uses the 7.1 signal from the stream not the Atmos information. The +Dolby Surround indicates the receiver use the Dolby upxmixer.
If you have an Atmos file and bitstream your receiver should show Dolby Atmos on the display.

I own a Denon x5200w and i play my files with Kodi 16. I always have Dolby Atmos in the display. So i can confirm it works fine. If you don't have Atmos in the display it could be a wrong receiver configuration

I second that. It works fine.
However, there are some mild interruptions on almost all Atmos tracks.
I believe I'm not an isolated case. Wink
(2016-03-11, 15:31)rr_7351 Wrote: I second that. It works fine.
However, there are some mild interruptions on almost all Atmos tracks.
I believe I'm not an isolated case. Wink

You are not an isolated case. I'm having interruptions. I can get Atmos to passthrough, display correctly on my AV receiver, and show the little blue led for Atmos. I play an Atmos demo and it works fine (conductor is my favorite for testing). As a test, I then disable passthrough and play the same demo as a 5.1 stream with Dolby Surround Upmixer enabled. It sounds ok, but not quite as definitive through the ceiling speakers as the atmos track sounded, confirming that Atmos is working fine.

My problem is the track always skips, and when it does, the audio gets all messed up. Sounds from the back speakers start playing through the front, the ceiling speakers no longer play audio, the left and right channels get flipped, etc. Very strange stuff. I can stop the track and restart it, and sometimes the sound goes back to normal and sometimes it doesn't.

I though this might be a hardware problem, so I tested the same track with the same HTPC, same cables, same receiver, but this time using JRiver. No issues whatsoever. No skipping, no speaker swapping, etc. no matter how many times I try.
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby atmos3