• 21(current)
Dolby atmos
Thanx for quick answers.
Short OT:
I supposed it. I read a lot of Reviews and recensions on Amazon where they said, that it should work with Amlogic 905X Chipset. Can one interchange Firmware of different Brands with same chipset ?
I wouldn't have thought that this Kind of Operation (demuxing, parsing) is handled by FW/Chipset. I thought, that would all happen on App-Level.
In Kodi and AndroidBox i have nothing enabled like "synch Playback" only Auto framerate and sound playthrough HDMI.
Sorry for OT...

What is the conclusion of this thread ? Atmos and DTS:X will Play as bitstream, if the Hardware is right and Decoding and PCM might come someday ?
If you asked me to move some boxes, I would need some basic information like how many there are and how big they are in order to know if they fit in the van, but I don't need to know what's inside them (discounting weight), it's the same with transporting audio packets in that the device must at a minimum be able to recognise the type/size of packets to be able to load them into the appropriate transport.
Oh...and yes with capable hardware Kodi bitstreams Atmos and DTS:X just fine.
(2016-10-11, 19:30)jjd-uk Wrote: If you asked me to move some boxes, I would need some basic information like how many there are and how big they are in order to know if they fit in the van, but I don't need to know what's inside them (discounting weight), it's the same with transporting audio packets in that the device must at a minimum be able to recognise the type/size of packets to be able to load them into the appropriate transport.

Wrong analogy and indeed, you dont have to know what is inside the boxes. You only mustn't drop them and deliver correctly to my door.
How else can it be explained, that my old Xtreamer SideWinder 2- which was built BEFORE HD Sound was an issue- CAN passthrough ALL HD-Sounds ?
It supports even Atmos as bitstream, though it is too slow too demux and decode highbandwidth Video/Audio.
That Xstreamer firmware supports TrueHD and DTS-HD hence it now also supports bitstreaming of Atmos and DTS:X
(2016-10-11, 19:06)andyw1228 Wrote: Thanx for quick answers.
Short OT:
I supposed it. I read a lot of Reviews and recensions on Amazon where they said, that it should work with Amlogic 905X Chipset. Can one interchange Firmware of different Brands with same chipset ?
I wouldn't have thought that this Kind of Operation (demuxing, parsing) is handled by FW/Chipset. I thought, that would all happen on App-Level.
In Kodi and AndroidBox i have nothing enabled like "synch Playback" only Auto framerate and sound playthrough HDMI.
Sorry for OT...

What is the conclusion of this thread ? Atmos and DTS:X will Play as bitstream, if the Hardware is right and Decoding and PCM might come someday ?
I am not sure there is any point in decoding Atmos or DTS:X to pcm as I am not sure an AVR would understand what to do with the pcm for ceiling channels.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-03-15, 21:03)Giantwinston Wrote:
(2016-03-11, 15:31)rr_7351 Wrote: I second that. It works fine.
However, there are some mild interruptions on almost all Atmos tracks.
I believe I'm not an isolated case. Wink

You are not an isolated case. I'm having interruptions. I can get Atmos to passthrough, display correctly on my AV receiver, and show the little blue led for Atmos. I play an Atmos demo and it works fine (conductor is my favorite for testing). As a test, I then disable passthrough and play the same demo as a 5.1 stream with Dolby Surround Upmixer enabled. It sounds ok, but not quite as definitive through the ceiling speakers as the atmos track sounded, confirming that Atmos is working fine.

My problem is the track always skips, and when it does, the audio gets all messed up. Sounds from the back speakers start playing through the front, the ceiling speakers no longer play audio, the left and right channels get flipped, etc. Very strange stuff. I can stop the track and restart it, and sometimes the sound goes back to normal and sometimes it doesn't.

I though this might be a hardware problem, so I tested the same track with the same HTPC, same cables, same receiver, but this time using JRiver. No issues whatsoever. No skipping, no speaker swapping, etc. no matter how many times I try.
Did anyone tested these interruptions with Krypton yet?
Smile 
No one? Smile
Well, I tried and the sound works fine in Krypton 17. No interruptions any more!
However, you have to disable "Sync playback to display" to make the passthrough working. And that makes the picture unsmooth. Sad
Yes, you need to disable 'Sync playback to display' to get passthrough but you can enable 'Adjust display refresh rate' and you are sync again, but you need a supported display for the refresh rate you want to use.

If you want to tweak the refresh rate you can use Custom resolution utility (Windows only).
I have "adjust display refresh rate" enabled and am running Windows but the movement is not okay. I'm running an old projector so is there a way to tweak it?
I hope the next version of Kodi will be improved. The new GUI is really nice but less useful. Plus, the glitch with passththrough is a way step back. On my Android now the DTS is not available so I had to install the older version again.
I use a JVC X3 and a Philips LCD TV as display. I have a Denon X5200 with Dolby Atmos and never have had any issues with passthrough or audio distortions. If you like you can test the DSPlayer build of Kodi and use madVR as render. You can tweak the refresh rate with this nice guide from a Kodi forum member ashlar. https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173571

What exactly do you mean with movement? Is the picture kind of stuttering in fast pans or what do you mean ?
Thank you for your reply.
Several years ago a had issues with movement. Car movements in movies were not smooth. Looked like some frames were missing.
I had a long talk with Nvidia support and sometimes other drivers helped. Then I figured display refresh rate adjustment in Kodi. Since then everything is perfect. Kodi 16 Jarvis served very well, the thing that bothered me were short sound dropouts when listening to Atmos tracks.

Now I installed Kodi 17. Atmos works fine now but in order to make it work (passtrough!) I had to disable "Sync playback ti display". Now the movement is the same as when wwithout display refresh rate adjustment. Unwatchable! Sad

By the way, are you saying Atmos soundtracks didn't interrupt with versions 16 and earlier?
I have used the latest Kodi 16 with Dolby Atmos and never have had an issue. I always use 'adjust display refresh rate' and the picture and the movement is as good as it can be with a fps of 23,976Hz. In fast panning the picture is always not very 'smooth' because of the 23,976Hz. But i don't have any micro stutter or dropped frames.

Since the early Kodi 17 nighties i have changed to Kodi 17 to keep an eye on the skin development of my favorite skin (Madnox) and i never noticed any difference in the video playback.

If you enable 'adjust display refresh rate' and your display uses the correct frequency there is no need for adjusting the playback. So maybe the reason is your display or your GPU. Maybe the gap between audio/video is too much even 'adjust display refresh rate' is enabled. It seems something is not working the right way and i guess Kodi 17 is not the issue. Since Kodi 17 uses directx 11 not direct x9 like Kodi 16 your GPU and the GPU drivers need to support a certain api level and functions. Also the gpu drivers are known for errors.

Maybe try to tweak your frequency with custom resolution utility if you have a nvidia or amd GPU. The guide i mentioned can give you hints or if you want full control try to use DSPlayer with madVR and the guide.
Well, here's the thing. I checked again and I have KODI 15.1 on my PC and Kodi 16 on my TV. So:
KODI 15.1:
display refresh rate adjustment: ON, Sync playback to display ON or OFF - the movement is fine. Atmos interrupts.
KODI 17:
display refresh rate adjustment: ON, Sync playback to display OFF - the picture drops frames. If ON then no passthrough is possible but at least the movement is OK.

So I doubt my HW is causing this or there is a need to tweak the refresh rate. What do you think?

I wonder why I got the Atmos interruptions with KODI 15. There are no particular audio settings. WASAPI HDMI, enable passthrough and that's it. Or am I missing something? Did you try Atmos with Kodi 15 too?
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby atmos3