Can I upgrade while XBMC is still running?
or do i have to use the ftp server of some other dash/app?
actually, you can but some files like textures.xpr for the skin and a few others that will be in use it will not allow to be overwritten.
isn't there a button combination to press just starting the ftp-server. so it will be easier to replace alla xbmc files?

think i read that somewhere (or was it just in one of my dreams Confusedleep: )
white + y while starting.
hey folks -

another suggestion i have been using for almost a year now:

1. i added a bookmark in my files to one of the usual (ftp) places where the new builds are located... or simply to one of your pcs that has the new build...

2. i copy the file to a local spot on the xbox using my files (say for example e:\apps)

3. i wrote a 3 line script in unleashx's menu to update xbmc (basically backup/rename existing folder, extract new zip build, copy back the essential userdata files)

4. reboot and that it... :-)

so the process for me is: copy new build zip to local hd > launch unleashx and run the update script > reboot and you are done!

this whole process takes about a minute or so and can be done completely from your couch and using your tv remote.

while i am here - big kudos for the dev's for their recent xml configuration files restructuring. it made the whole process much much simpler!

thanks,

a.
AnonyOne - Thanks for sharing your 3 line script...
HarshReality Wrote:actually, you can but some files like textures.xpr for the skin and a few others that will be in use it will not allow to be overwritten.
I've never had that problem. I just use FlashFXP and upload everything to E:\Apps\XBMC. Nothing stays in the ftp queue and I don't get any errors about a file that can't be uploaded. I do have to restart the xbox after uploading though as things like the skin will usually be broken until I do.
sabotage Wrote:AnonyOne - Thanks for sharing your 3 line script...

I'll ask nicely - can you post the script/quick and dirty instructions for implementing it in Unleashx.

Thanks for your help, this could be just what I want!

-Geoff
Lightbulb 
Good morning guys,

Pardon the delayed response as I have'nt checked the forum for quite a while.

Below please find the script line which you should ADD to your CONFIG.XML (residing next to your UNLEASHX executable). PLEASE BE CAREFULL WHILE ADDING THIS TO YOUR XML. ALSO, THIS DOES NOT REPLACE YOUR EXISTING XML BUT IS ADDED TO IT IN IT'S MENU SECTION.

This script will add another XBMC menu to your unleashx menu, under which you will find the following items:

"XBMC Unpack" - unzip the latest build file (XBMC.zip) into XBMC-New;
"Switch to New" - switches between your existing XBMC and the New XBMC (EVERYTHING is backed up in XBMC-Old);
"Switch to Old" - reverets back to the Old(er) XBMC if something went wrong for whatever reason or you simply didn't want to hand on to this build;
"Restore UserData" - as the name indicates... restore your UserData from the Old(er) build (configuration, movie and audio DB etc.)

Just to be clear - I have broken the process into 4 "steps" on purpose to enable you get the hang of it at your leisure. I am sure that once you use this for a couple of times you would consolidate steps 1,2 & 4 into one action which will do an automatic "extract + replace +r estore UserData" action.

If you have any further questions don't hestitate to ask.

A.

--- SCRIPT STARTS HERE ---

<List Text="XBMC" Sort="Off" Auto="On">
<list Text="XBMC Unpack" Sort="Off" Batch="True" Auto="On" Icon="D:\media\MS_Dash.png">
<Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="XBMC Installation/Update">XBMC.zip to E:\Apps\XBMC-New</Item>
<Item Action="UnZip" Arg1="E:\Apps\xbmc.zip" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC-New">UnPack XBMC KIoHDD</Item>
<item Action="MessageBox" Arg1="Completed">Done</item>
</list>
<list Text="Switch to NEW" Sort="Off" Batch="True" Auto="On" Icon="D:\media\MS_Dash.png">
<Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="XBMC Installation/Update">XBMC-New to XBMC</Item>
<item Action="rename" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC-Old">rename XBMC into XBMC-Old</item>
<item Action="rename" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC-New" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC">rename XBMC-New into XBMC</item>
</list>
<list Text="Switch to OLD" Sort="Off" Batch="True" Auto="On" Icon="D:\media\MS_Dash.png">
<Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="XBMC Installation/Update">XBMC-Old to XBMC</Item>
<item Action="rename" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC-New">rename XBMC into XBMC-New</item>
<item Action="rename" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC-Old" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC">rename XBMC-Old into XBMC</item>
</list>
<list Text="Restore UserData" Sort="Off" Batch="True" Auto="On" Icon="D:\media\MS_Dash.png">
<Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="XBMC Installation/Update">Restpre UserData from XBMC-Old</Item>
<item Action="copy" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC-Old\UserData\" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC\UserData">copy XBMC UserData</item>
</list>
<Item Action="FileManager">File Explorer</Item>
</List>
Nice. Very nice. I've got to do a bit of tweaking to my own build process, and then like you said, combine elements of these 4 actions, and then my dream of a 1-click upgrade will be complete!

Thanks a bunch!

-Geoff
[I posted this over at the XBMCDBR forum, here's a copy]
[http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s...ry3581277]

Here's what I'm doing:

First, I use a product that I have from work called FinalBuilder, but an easy batch file with some ftp scripting would be just as good (of course, see the old 'xbmcdbr batch file version' for great samples on that stuff!)

My scheduled task does this (caveat: it works for me, there are probably neater solutions, but I have no time to worry about it):

- ftp from xbox to pc: UserData stuff (I don't bother with the thumbnails, and I don't keep the playlists (that I don't really use anyway) in that folder, so just the db's and xml's, also the 'system' xml's - basically anything that might have been changed on the xbox and will need restoring (this is why I *really* wish we could store all such settings *outside* the app dir...oh well.)

I ftp that stuff to the xbmcdbr CustomExtras, so that they get included in the build

(actually, this step is optional, see the UnleashX menu stuff below!)

- run the new xbmcdbr. Now my problem here was the dated-naming of the rar file. I got around this by using the xbmcdbr settings shown here, and ftp'ing it to the same build pc (now I get an xbmc.rar):

Code:
<xbmcdbz>
  <buildtype>fresh</buildtype>
  <ftpbuild>yes</ftpbuild>
  <ftptype>file</ftptype>
  <ftpdir>\XBOX\XBMC Updater\CurrentBuild</ftpdir>
  <ip>192.168.0.5</ip>
  <port>21</port>
  <user>xxxx</user>
  <pass>xxxx</pass>
  <ftpbiosdir />
  <xbename />
</xbmcdbz>

p.s. I run the free FileZilla Ftp Server on my PC

- ftp the xbmc.rar to the xbox, /c/xbmc.rar

- now, using UnleashX as a dash and following the ideas in this thread: http://www.xbmc.xbox-scene.com/forum/sho...hp?t=20512

from which I've put this in my UnleashX config.xml file:

Code:
    <Menu>
        <list Text="Update XBMC" Sort="Off" Batch="True" Auto="On" Icon="D:\media\MS_Dash.png">
         <Item Action="Delete" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC-Old\"></Item>
            <Item Action="UnZip" Arg1="c:\xbmc.rar" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC-New">UnPack XBMC KIoHDD</Item>
            <item Action="rename" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC-Old">rename XBMC into XBMC-Old</item>
            <item Action="rename" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC-New" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC">rename XBMC-New into XBMC</item>
            <item Action="copy" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC-Old\UserData\" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC\UserData">copy XBMC UserData</item>
            <Item Action="C:\xbmc.xbe">Launch XBMC</Item>
        </list>
        <list Text="Revert To Last XBMC" Sort="Off" Batch="True" Auto="On" Icon="D:\media\MS_Dash.png">
            <Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="XBMC Installation/Update">XBMC-Old to XBMC</Item>
            <item Action="rename" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC-New">rename XBMC into XBMC-New</item>
            <item Action="rename" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC-Old" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC">rename XBMC-Old into XBMC</item>
        </list>

- I can exit XBMC to dash, which brings me to UnleashX. i run the Update XBMC menu item as described above, and it (1) copies my current entire e/apps/xbmc to a backup, unrars the new, and restores the user settings for me (okay, the script above actually doesn't restore the 'system' items, so that needs to be added in...), followed by an immediate launching of xbmc.

I have the 'ftp backup-build xbmcdbr-ftp new xbmc.rar to xbox' scheduled nightly. Whenever I feel like it, I can run the updater on the xbox, using only my remote, without getting up, and know that I'll get last night's build with all my settings retained.

It's finally what I want for trouble-free upgrades. Please all tinkerer's keep posting improvements!

-Geoff

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I upgrade while XBMC is still running?1