Can I upgrade while XBMC is still running?
[I posted this over at the XBMCDBR forum, here's a copy]
[http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s...ry3581277]

Here's what I'm doing:

First, I use a product that I have from work called FinalBuilder, but an easy batch file with some ftp scripting would be just as good (of course, see the old 'xbmcdbr batch file version' for great samples on that stuff!)

My scheduled task does this (caveat: it works for me, there are probably neater solutions, but I have no time to worry about it):

- ftp from xbox to pc: UserData stuff (I don't bother with the thumbnails, and I don't keep the playlists (that I don't really use anyway) in that folder, so just the db's and xml's, also the 'system' xml's - basically anything that might have been changed on the xbox and will need restoring (this is why I *really* wish we could store all such settings *outside* the app dir...oh well.)

I ftp that stuff to the xbmcdbr CustomExtras, so that they get included in the build

(actually, this step is optional, see the UnleashX menu stuff below!)

- run the new xbmcdbr. Now my problem here was the dated-naming of the rar file. I got around this by using the xbmcdbr settings shown here, and ftp'ing it to the same build pc (now I get an xbmc.rar):

Code:
<xbmcdbz>
  <buildtype>fresh</buildtype>
  <ftpbuild>yes</ftpbuild>
  <ftptype>file</ftptype>
  <ftpdir>\XBOX\XBMC Updater\CurrentBuild</ftpdir>
  <ip>192.168.0.5</ip>
  <port>21</port>
  <user>xxxx</user>
  <pass>xxxx</pass>
  <ftpbiosdir />
  <xbename />
</xbmcdbz>

p.s. I run the free FileZilla Ftp Server on my PC

- ftp the xbmc.rar to the xbox, /c/xbmc.rar

- now, using UnleashX as a dash and following the ideas in this thread: http://www.xbmc.xbox-scene.com/forum/sho...hp?t=20512

from which I've put this in my UnleashX config.xml file:

Code:
    <Menu>
        <list Text="Update XBMC" Sort="Off" Batch="True" Auto="On" Icon="D:\media\MS_Dash.png">
         <Item Action="Delete" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC-Old\"></Item>
            <Item Action="UnZip" Arg1="c:\xbmc.rar" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC-New">UnPack XBMC KIoHDD</Item>
            <item Action="rename" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC-Old">rename XBMC into XBMC-Old</item>
            <item Action="rename" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC-New" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC">rename XBMC-New into XBMC</item>
            <item Action="copy" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC-Old\UserData\" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC\UserData">copy XBMC UserData</item>
            <Item Action="C:\xbmc.xbe">Launch XBMC</Item>
        </list>
        <list Text="Revert To Last XBMC" Sort="Off" Batch="True" Auto="On" Icon="D:\media\MS_Dash.png">
            <Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="XBMC Installation/Update">XBMC-Old to XBMC</Item>
            <item Action="rename" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC-New">rename XBMC into XBMC-New</item>
            <item Action="rename" Arg1="E:\Apps\XBMC-Old" Arg2="E:\Apps\XBMC">rename XBMC-Old into XBMC</item>
            <item Action="MessageBox" Arg1="Completed">Done</item>
        </list>

- I can exit XBMC to dash, which brings me to UnleashX. i run the Update XBMC menu item as described above, and it (1) copies my current entire e/apps/xbmc to a backup, unrars the new, and restores the user settings for me (okay, the script above actually doesn't restore the 'system' items, so that needs to be added in...), followed by an immediate launching of xbmc.

I have the 'ftp backup-build xbmcdbr-ftp new xbmc.rar to xbox' scheduled nightly. Whenever I feel like it, I can run the updater on the xbox, using only my remote, without getting up, and know that I'll get last night's build with all my settings retained.

It's finally what I want for trouble-free upgrades. Please all tinkerer's keep posting improvements!

-Geoff

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by afruff23 - 2006-06-15, 05:38
[No subject] - by HarshReality - 2006-06-15, 08:25
[No subject] - by dkz - 2006-07-10, 18:42
[No subject] - by spiff - 2006-07-10, 18:51
[No subject] - by AnonyOne - 2006-07-10, 19:11
[No subject] - by sabotage - 2006-07-27, 00:52
[No subject] - by LaTropa64 - 2006-07-27, 01:17
[No subject] - by lexicon - 2006-07-30, 04:23
[No subject] - by AnonyOne - 2006-07-30, 09:21
[No subject] - by lexicon - 2006-07-30, 15:38