HD TV Playback Sucks a little in XBMC?
You write some 50 lines posts but you don't even take the time to get familiar with the correct terms. There is no "DVB decoding". DVB defines a standard how video/audio/subs etc is broadcasted. ps / pes / pat/pmt those kind of things. When it comes to decoding it's mpeg2, h264 etc. This is not directly related to DVB.
What I am saying is that the way you complain about things is useless for us (the developers) to fix anything. There is no constructive words in you complaints giving any hint in what exactly goes wrong.
I don't know about your total setup but I dual boot to get the best of both worlds - windows for games and Linux for everything else. I tried making a all in one media center but Linux had basically no gaming support (it was a few years ago) and windows was death by a thousand cuts.
How do I do that? You mean dump the stream somehow? What if the stream ends up being fine while the displayed video still has issues? I have no problem doing this though. Smile

(2014-09-29, 22:30)FernetMenta Wrote: You write some 50 lines posts but you don't even take the time to get familiar with the correct terms. There is no "DVB decoding". DVB defines a standard how video/audio/subs etc is broadcasted. ps / pes / pat/pmt those kind of things. When it comes to decoding it's mpeg2, h264 etc. This is not directly related to DVB.
What I am saying is that the way you complain about things is useless for us (the developers) to fix anything. There is no constructive words in you complaints giving any hint in what exactly goes wrong.

Yes and I think you are just being overly picky. The majority of guys here seem to have no problem interpreting what I have said. I am a casual user not a developer. I don't understand why developers seem so sensitive about any potential flaws of DVB playback in Windows? Isn't it just a better idea to find them and fix them.

OK so I stand corrected. MPEG-2, h264 decoding 'sucks a little in XBMC in Windows', lol. I'm not trying to wind you up dude, I believe I did make reference to h264 decoding previously, but as a lay person 'DVB Decoding' (since it is otherwise meaningless) seems like a good shorthand. Would you really crticise a lay person for not being intimately familiar with every aspect of 'dvb decoding'? Lol.

I will try to help as much as I can. If I can track down this problem with you guys help, maybe it could help everyone eventually?
So are you watching mpeg2 or h264? I don't think you have even told us that, or your video hardware.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-29, 22:33)teeedubb Wrote: I don't know about your total setup but I dual boot to get the best of both worlds - windows for games and Linux for everything else. I tried making a all in one media center but Linux had basically no gaming support (it was a few years ago) and windows was death by a thousand cuts.

Yes that's an idea. But my DB cards only do SD TV under Linux.. Really what I am looking for is an XBOX 1 type interface that can handle all of my media needs, including games, I paid nearly £700 for a small dedicated machine exactly for this purpose (and another 1.7K on a UHD TV). Cheap I suppose for a gaming rig, but I haven't given up yet on the idea of a small do it all media box quite yet.

I could have gone with a games console but that would have been too restrictive for me I think.
Sorry if I missed it, but what are the tuner cards?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-29, 22:50)nickr Wrote: So are you watching mpeg2 or h264? I don't think you have even told us that, or your video hardware.

I have you know. I posted a full link to my hardware and a response to a similar question you asked on another thread on a similar topic. However for ease of reference as far as I have read the standard for decoding 'dvb-t' signals in the UK is MPEG2 for SD and h.264 for HD. I also Have a Zotan ZBOX EN760 plus:http://www.pcworld.com/article/2455207/zotac-zbox-en760-plus-review-don-t-be-fooled-by-its-size-this-box-has-graphics-horsepower.html

The Zotan site is down, so I can't get the spec sheet, but it is more than capable of playing most modern games so I imagine TV playback should be fine.

I don't really get where all of his hostility is coming from though? Why do some of the guys here with relatively big post counts seem so upset about this?

(2014-09-29, 22:56)nickr Wrote: Sorry if I missed it, but what are the tuner cards?

The Tuners are two Astrometra DBB-T2 cards. Chinese generic, but surprisingly good performance in anything other than XBMC.
Wooooo back off, no hostility here. I think I missed the hardware info because we are jumping between two threads.

I assume you arer using nvidia drivers not some default windows thing?
Yes the latest NVIDIA drivers. Again I refer you to my previous answer. In MediaPortal and 4 other DVB apps I have tries, this problem does not exist.
Again sorry if I have missed answers due to jumping over two threads over several days.
NP
One question - is there a difference between playback of recordings and playback of livetv?
The box appears to be an i5 4200U @ 1.6 GHz base coupled with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M. Easily enough grunt.

IIRC, the OP is watching UK DVB-T2, so that's H.264 at either 50Hz/1080i or 25Hz/1080p from what I read. Knowing whether this happens on a particular channel or mux might be relevant; likewise, knowing whether it happens on both i and p content is very relevant. The OSD in XBMC would tell you.

Carrying on my earlier stream of consciousness... you've some suggestions about trying to isolate the problem, so start there even if it's a brutal "the problem's over <there> somewhere but not <here>" - that'd help. A Debug_log (wiki) of an offending stream in action might reveal something. If you try recording and playing back, if that exhibits the problem then you've got a captured stream you can share; you can also play it multiple times to see if it always happens in the same place or whether artefacts move around (which in turn helps isolate any problem to a particular decoding matrix, a glitch in the stream, etc.).
The artefacts are random. They appear anywhere on the screen at random intermittent times. I am going to show my novice credentials again, but I though 1080i was for plasmas and 1080p was for LCDs? I have a 65 inch UHD LED TV and I have always selected 1080p output by default. f that's a dumb thing to do, feel free to let me know.

I will try recording a stream, but ATM despite my better instinct and loathing of it taking up more resources I am 'balls deep' (so to speak lol) configuring Argus TV and have had to install a hefty instance of MYSQL just to run it. I won't ultimately be that happy if this impacts on game performance.

I don't want to compromise on TV, or game performance, unless I have to.

Otherwise I like your thinking dude!

(2014-09-29, 23:34)nickr Wrote: One question - is there a difference between playback of recordings and playback of livetv?

Now there's a question, with a posibly related, or unrelated answer. Standard video playback (as this is a new system, I hadn't really tested until last night) seems slightly flaky in XBMC. For some reason whatever video I play, my TV switches automatically to 3D. I have selected 'user defined' stereoscopic mode in settings, but to no avail.

This might be a side issue though, to be resolved at a later date. There is no 'smearing' of video playback however.
1080i or 1080p depends what the broadcaster sends. I think Freeview UK do some of each. 1080i is far more likely.

1080i needs to be deinterlaced. Deinterlacing is turned on and off from the OSD video menu in XBMC. (Press OK during playback, navigate to video icon (skin dependent) and deinterlacing options are near the top).

And I didn't mean standard video playback, I meant TV shows recorded with NextPVR and then played back in XBMC later as against LiveTV captured by NextPVR and played back 'live'.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD TV Playback Sucks a little in XBMC?0