HD TV Playback Sucks a little in XBMC?
Why not try a linux backend? Something like mythbuntu or even just ubuntu with tvheadend?
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
The idea was a media centre PC, for watching TV, listening to music and playing games. I don't know if that's possible anymore. The Astrometa cards I have are only supported in hd (or they were the last time I looked). HD is currently uwatchable, regardless of what software I use.
Have you considered hdhomerun? They work regardless of OS.

Oh and what do you mean "only supported in HD". Such a statement makes little sense.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I mean SD. Does home run do HD freeview?
(2014-10-05, 00:10)raid517 Wrote: I mean SD. Does home run do HD freeview?

http://www.silicondust.com/
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Actually it looks like silicon dust don't do a dvb-t2 tuner. I think you need t2 for HD on freeview in UK. (You only need dvb-t for freeview in NZ, so hdhr works for me)
I bought two pctv 292e usb tuners, More money down the drain probably. Not cheap. But let's see what results we get with totally different hardware.
If you want to use that with linux it looks like you will need at least a 3.16 kernel for that.
Is Ubuntu shipping with that kernel ATM? I have been at this thing for over a month. Linux would be a fall-back. I would still like to have a crack at the single HTPC option, which in theory would mean windows. Given my luck so far I don't hold out too much hope ATM. The irony of what you have to go through to have fun, lol.
If I was using mythtv as a backend I would use mythbuntu which in it's latest incarnation ships with 3.13 kernel, although you can upgrade to something else.

A quicker test might be Openelec 4.2.1 which has 3.16 kernel and could be tested using TVHeadend as a backend.
I can confirm that the firmware and driver seems to be in Openelec 4.2.1, but I don't have the device to test of course (or any DVB-T2 source of TV transmission to test that aspect either).
Well, if you've got the tuners on order now then the first test would be under Windows anyway, as that's your preferred platform.

The 290s used to work really well - I was happily watching HD Freeview last night from git-build tvheadend on Ubuntu 12.04 to OE 4.2.1... I know that's not really an indicator, because the silicon has changed and hence the new driver, but there's nothing inherently wrong with PCTV's hardware and my DVB-S2 sticks work just as nicely. Reviews on amazon.co.uk suggest that OpenElec does indeed support the 292e, so it's worth a punt.
It's a punt right enough. I mean as much as Windows sucks (and it probably does) you can't deny it would be a neat thing to have a HTPC that could take care of all of your home entertainment needs, including TV, Music, movies, games etc,

Linux probably would be rock solid for most media purposes. But gaming performance still requires WINE, or equivalent as game performance is on the whole extremely variable.

I think my experiences show that this single HTPC project is by no means a simple task to achieve.
And yes the 290e's are good performers. I had one, briefly and it worked well. Unfortunately due to some stupidity on my part (I plugged the wrong power supply into my external USB hub) I blew it a few hours after getting it. (Easy to do when you have a couple of K of cables for your HTPC set up to contend with, lol.) My luck just isn't very good I think. You also can't buy 290e's easily any more. They are exceptionally rare. Those vendors claiming to still sell them are invariably selling 292e's instead. I bought mine from a guy in Finland on the OpenElec forums.

It will probably work in Linux. Like I said there a large section of the Wiki that goes on about crappy DVB performance under Windows. But it will be an awkward and clunky solution to have to jump between (and reboot) one platform and another.

BTW thanks guys for trying to help. We will just have to wait and see how the 292e's go I think.
Maplin were still stocking the 290e units not that long ago - you'll pay for it, though, but they have the distinct advantage of you being able to look at the box and check what's in it before you buy anything.

<check>

Yup, still showing them, and you can do a stock check if you don't trust their central warehouse not to send out 292s instead. Eighty notes apiece, though...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/pctv-systems-d...uner-a86kk

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD TV Playback Sucks a little in XBMC?0