HD TV Playback Sucks a little in XBMC?
And still no debug log or sample file?? Since you had Windows Media Center set up as a backend did you try viewing live TV in WMC and see if it demonstrated the same problem?? My guess (only a guess as you've yet to provide useful information) is you have video set up wrong in XBMC While playing a video go to OSD video settings by hitting enter on keyboard or OK/select on remote then select the round film reel and turn deinterlace to auto then at the bottom save as default for all videos. Also in XBMC (after turning settings level to Advanced) settings>video>playback>adjust refresh rate to match video turned on. You can mess with the other playback options to see what works best for you.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
No dude, those are mislisted 292e's. Source: I bought one about 4 or 5 weeks ago when I was messing about with OpenElec and TVHeadend on a little £65 dedicated XBMC media player (Matricom MX2). It didn't work on that, which is why I ended up buying a full blown HTPC. I ended up taking it back though, as it didn't work in OpenElec on that little box and was stupidly expensive to buy from Maplins.

The only evidence I have that the 290e's work well is that it worked flawlessly for those few hours before I blew it, lol. I got 2 292e's for £70. Maplins price is twice as expensive, so not a good buy.

(2014-10-05, 16:44)Dilligaf Wrote: And still no debug log or sample file?? Since you had Windows Media Center set up as a backend did you try viewing live TV in WMC and see if it demonstrated the same problem?? My guess (only a guess as you've yet to provide useful information) is you have video set up wrong in XBMC While playing a video go to OSD video settings by hitting enter on keyboard or OK/select on remote then select the round film reel and turn deinterlace to auto then at the bottom save as default for all videos. Also in XBMC (after turning settings level to Advanced) settings>video>playback>adjust refresh rate to match video turned on. You can mess with the other playback options to see what works best for you.

You think I haven't tried everything? After a month? Of course have tried it in WMC too, but that also is now showing the same behaviour. I am not sure how to get the logs hough. It looks like the hardware to me. It's sowing the same behaviour in WMC, XBMC and MediaBrowser 3 and Mediaportal, which is why I gambled a chunk of money on a new brand of tuners wit decent reviews on Amazon.. Unfortunately most of the reviews on Amazon are for 290e's..

Also if you try to buy a 290e anywhere on line, it will invariably be a similarly mislisted 292e's. The 290e's are by all reports like 'gold dust'. Maybe because Linux guys like them so much. For some reason only a limited run were made and production was ceased a long time ago.
(2014-10-05, 16:48)raid517 Wrote: You think I haven't tried everything? After a month? Of course have tried it in WMC too, but that also is now showing the same behaviour. I am not sure how to get the logs hough. It looks like the hardware to me. It's sowing the same behaviour in WMC, XBMC and MediaBrowser 3, which is why I gambled a chunk of money on a new brand of tuners wit decent reviews on Amazon.. Unfortunately most of the reviews on Amazon are for 290e's..

I don't think/assume anything, if you haven't stated that you did something then to me you haven't. If you want me to assume things then I would assume that you think everyone trying to help is stupid and simply posting to mess with you, you will not follow the suggested diagnostic procedures because you think you know better and because you've spent some money then you are entitled to a working system. That is what I'm reading into your posts. As for log files help yourself a little and go look on the XBMC wiki.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
What are you talking about dude? Take a chill pill. Most of the guys here have been really helpful. I have thanked them and added to their reps as a result. I ran through all of the suggestions here - and even (re)tried yours.

I don't like sucky attitudes - and only one or two of the guys here have been like that. I believe it was you who was calling me dumb for not trying interlacing, when this has been mentioned on this thread a good dozen or so times already.

I'm an easy guy to get along with. Try to keep a positive, helpful and constructive attitude when discussing things with me and we will invariably get along great. Talk to me like a ass and don't be shocked if I throw it right back at you. I despise people like you who just set out to try to spoil someone's day for no good reason. It's not working though dude. There are good folks on here who really do want to help and I am genuinely grateful to them.

Anyway this is almost certainly a hardware issue. There is too much evidence for it to be anything else. With so many software apps showing the same results it boils down to either hardware or drivers. I'm not saying the 292e's will resolve things But it's the last stab I have at the single HTPC concept I have. Beyond this, it's Linux for watching TV and Windows for playing games. Not a very elegant solution, but there we are..
Have a read here -> http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy It explains all about the debug log and how to upload one Smile
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-10-05, 19:12)black_eagle Wrote: Have a read here -> http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy It explains all about the debug log and how to upload one Smile

Cheers dude. That's helpful. Smile
(2014-10-05, 16:48)raid517 Wrote: No dude, those are mislisted 292e's.

I was lucky, then - I bought one a few months ago when I walked in and saw the mythical 290e label on it (the 292 driver was barely dry yet). Shame, as they're genuinely good tuners... what should have been one of those "if it ain't broke" scenarios, I fear. That said, I've not tried the 292 so the new driver may be a thing of beauty, so let's see. Good luck, report back how you get on if you could.
Right well just a footnote to say that buying the two PCTV 292e's totally resolved my problem. I can now view HD TV without issues. It turns out that my hunch that it was hardware was correct and that no end of configuring, or changing the settings, or messing around with deinterlacing will cange the fact that these cheap Chinese tuners are just not up to the job.

The only very slight problem that remains is that there are sometimes what seem like dropped frames during very rapid action. so some very fast action scenes can appear to be moving a little slower than they should (like in a flip-book animation), but the problem is so slight as to be barely unnoticeable. HD channels are perfectly watchable and enjoyable. It wasn't cheap (especially as I wasted money on pretty much useless Chinese tuners), but I now have my 'all in one' do it all HTPC for games movies and music, which hopefully after a month of configuring I can just get on and enjoy now.

The cool thing is just how tiny this Zotan Zbox is - and how powerful it is

Thanks for the positive input to those guys here who genuinely tried to help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD TV Playback Sucks a little in XBMC?0