DVBLink on Intel HTPC under Openelec / XBMC?
Question 
Hi folks,

in short:
Can I install DVBLink server on my Intel based HTPC running XBMC instead of my NAS, and does this make sense?

Or longer:
I am looking for a successor to my Reel Multimedia Reelbox that I've used as a PVR solution so far. Now I found out about DVBLink, and this looks like all I need.
I did a lot of reading on several forums (including this one) and wikis, but that has just left me confused about how to do the basic setup of my future PVR system.

Now, I've built an HTPC based on an Intel 34020 NUC that runs an XBMC / Openelec Installation. XBMC is running just fine - so far, so good.
I also have a Synology DS212 NAS that has all my recordings that I made so far using my Reelbox. All components are connected through a gigabit-LAN.

I want to use the Intel HTPC as my one and only server for all media playback using XBMC, including LiveTV and TV recordings.
Additional features I want:
- HD Video for LiveTV and recording
- playback of all my old VDR-based TV-recordings stored on my NAS
- 3 TV-streams, one for LiveTV and 2 for recording
- full control of all functions by using my Logitech Harmony One remote

For that, I basically seem to have 2 options:

A) Use the DS212 NAS as DVBLink server, which provides LiveTV and TV recordings to the HTPC.
This seems to be pretty much a standard solution, but I am unsure if it is also the optimum solution:
Will the poor performance of the NAS chip (ARM Marvell Kirkwood) be a problem for handling HD TV?
Can I playback my VDR-recordings properly with XBMC and DVBLink then?
How do I achieve 3 TV-streams, since the NAS only has one USB-port for only one tuner?
How do I include a CAM-module for decrypting encrypted channels?

B) Install the DVBLink server on my Intel HTPC and use the DS 212 only to store the recordings.
The HTPC is off course far more capable than the NAS, and I would not have to rely on a LAN-connection for LiveTV (just for streaming back the recordings from the NAS)
Performance for HD TV hence should not be a problem in this config. But also in this option:
Can I playback my VDR-recordings properly with XBMC and DVBLink then?
How do I achieve 3 TV-streams, since the HTPC also has only one USB-port for only one tuner?
How do I include a CAM-module for decrypting encrypted channels?
And: Can I install DVBLink Server under Openelec / Linux, or would I have to Change my HTPC to a Windows System? Would DVBLink Server and Client (for XBMC) running on the same machine work and integrate seamlessly into XBMC?

Questions everywhere... HuhHuhHuh

I'm quite new to XBMC and I just found out about DVBLink.
So, any help of you guys would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Wolfgang
Hello steppenwolf. I use a DS415+ to run DVBLink so know this setup best but I'll try to help with both your potential scenarios.

Firstly, if you haven't already, it's worth posing these same questions on the DVBLogic forum. The admins are very responsive.

A)
I think you would be able to run DVBlink on a DS212 but you would just need to try it. Or see if anyone else is on the DVBLink forums. There is a 30 day free version available to use so you would just need a TV tuner.
I run four Tuners (PCTV 292e) via a usb hub and they work fine. DVBLogic recommend USB2 tuners over USB3 but I have had success with both.
Sorry, I don't know about CAM. Assuming its a hardware requirement I guess its a case of having the correct tuner.

B)
I don't think there is a OpenElec server option so you will likely have to run it under Windows. You could probably just run your OpenElec installation under windows too.
USB hub applies for tuners again.

Hope that helps is some way.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVBLink on Intel HTPC under Openelec / XBMC?0