Req 4K TV Box from Star Stream (Canada)
HuhMaybe a dumb question but what is the refresh rate capability for these units? While watching an HD movie the picture was pretty clear but movement was indicative of a TV with a refresh rate of 60 Hz, not 120 Hz.
I wouldn't want to watch a hockey game on this thing.
mind explaining how this is a feature request for xbmc?
Reading it right off the box it came in. Does the unit 'feature' a refresh rate of 60Hz? 120Hz? Or isn't that even a valid question?
Does Hockey get transmitted at 120Hz?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-04, 22:23)wsnipex Wrote: mind explaining how this is a feature request for xbmc?

(2014-10-05, 00:59)rlaboss Wrote: Reading it right off the box it came in. Does the unit 'feature' a refresh rate of 60Hz? 120Hz? Or isn't that even a valid question?

Did you even read wsnipex's post?

Regardless, the refresh rate isn't typically a feature of the cable box, but rather a property of the media being played.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
I don't think anything is actually in 120hz anyways, as far as typical videos/TV sources. The TV just doubles the framerate of 60hz input. It's a useless feature on the TV.
Yeah that was the point I was trying to make (perhaps a little too elliptically LOL)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Watch hockey (or any sport with rapid movement) on a TV with 60Hz refresh rate VS a TV with 120 Hz, or higher. I guarantee you'll see a big difference.
(2014-10-05, 23:28)rlaboss Wrote: Watch hockey (or any sport with rapid movement) on a TV with 60Hz refresh rate VS a TV with 120 Hz, or higher. I guarantee you'll see a big difference.
Afraid not. This guy explains why better than I ever could:
http://xcorr.net/2011/11/20/whats-the-ma...-perceive/

Perhaps your TV is doing some interpolation and creating twice as many frames from the ones being received, but you won't perceive it....just your cat will and that fly on the wall.

What you are actually experiencing is a psychological result where you rationalize a purchase. Or perhaps you have your brightness cranked up to 11.
(2014-10-05, 23:28)rlaboss Wrote: Watch hockey (or any sport with rapid movement) on a TV with 60Hz refresh rate VS a TV with 120 Hz, or higher. I guarantee you'll see a big difference.

The broadcasted signal isn't in 120hz. Most 120hz TVs don't even accept a 120hz signal, just 60hz, and then they double it.
On a 60 Hz TV, when a hockey player passes the puck, you will very likely see a 'trail' behind the puck..like a blur. On a TV with a faster refresh rate, you see a singular puck - clear, no streaks. If it's not because of
the refresh rate of the TV, then what causes it?
Like mouse trails on the computer? Personally I'd find that useful given that I have problems even seeing a rugby or soccer ball drift across the screen.

More seriously though you are seeing some form of smoothing, which most people HATE in a TV.

There is probably some electronic trickery. Basically the only way to improve the signal your TV company is sending you is if they are creating frames by interpolating between two frames. So the puck is at co-ordinates 1,5 in frame one and 1,25 in frame two. Your TV is possibly creating a frame 1.5 where the puck is at 1,15. But it is at best a guess.
(2014-10-06, 07:52)rlaboss Wrote: On a 60 Hz TV, when a hockey player passes the puck, you will very likely see a 'trail' behind the puck..like a blur. On a TV with a faster refresh rate, you see a singular puck - clear, no streaks. If it's not because of
the refresh rate of the TV, then what causes it?

If you want to stop the puck "trail" then don't watch hockey on FOX! :-)

I've got a 5 year old Plasma...no motion blur. Motion blur is mainly associated with LCD TVs. Newer LCDs and most OLEDs are better at reducing/eliminating motion blur. It's not the refresh rate eliminating the blur.

BTW, your original question related to watching an HD movie...you probably simply watched a 24p low quality, pirated video.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K TV Box from Star Stream (Canada)0