Req 3D subtitles support
Hi,
Is it possible to add 3D subtitles support (for SUP format or all) ?
When switching to 3D mode (SBS or OU), GUI is switched to 3D mode and subtitles also. But if we have already 3D subtitles, they are displayed twice by view (so 4 subtitles for entire image).
External player like MPC-BE offers a setting to indicate if subtitles are 2D (1 subtitle will be duplicated to get 3D effect) or 3D (2 subtitle, 1 on each view so no need to duplicate them), so perhaps it's possible to add this to Kodi ?
From doom9 forum, we have created tools to extract real depth for each subtitle and so create a subtitle stream with real depth and positionning, so subtitles streams are already 3D (SBS or OU) and don't need to be converted. The problem is the same for 3D subtitle streams with a fixed depth.
Thanks !
I think this feature is easy to setup. I think the easier is to add a switch or a checkbox "Subtitle is 3D" when we select 3D mode :
- If the switch is On or checked, XBMC switch to 3D GUI but not 3D subtitle
- If the switch is Off or unchecked, XBMC stays like now (3D GUI, 3D Subtitle)
I think there is an option or a function implemented into XBMC to duplicate subtitle when 3D mode is activated, so new switch could activate or not this function ?
It's my theory, perhaps it is not possible to do that...
How could I know if my request will be integrated into XBMC ?
nobody is currently working on any 3D related changes or fixes. I tried to fix some stuff regarding playback handling, but anything that's going deeper down the rabbit hole (render pipeline) is still a little over my head. And I fear that the seemingly simple switch you mentioned is not really that simple because of the way the GUI is rendered. Subtitles are part of the GUI render process (AFAIK) and the GUI is rendered twice (one for each eye which would actually allow for skins with depth perception, but that's another story). So 3D subtitles would have to be "cut out" and repositioned so that they are rendered correctly for each eye (and would then also work with 3D->2D conversion).
Are there any plans to take more focus on 3D?
3D is coming more and more to home theaters - every current TV has support for 3D.

I'm dealing with the same problem NicCo already mentioned, I can work around by creating SRTs but better would be to support the original subtitles, 2D and 3D.
I would even donate again for it. Wink
I don't know of a dev which would be capable of doing it and is interested in this - most likely because most of our devs don't do/like 3D and thus also don't have the hardware for this. But as metioned every time - not only team devs are allowed to implement this - everybody is welcome and encouraged to do so because we're heavily lacking active developers. So if you have a friend that can do C++ and is a little interested in media, point him to the Kodi source code and tell him he should try fix stuff for you Smile
It's a shame really since it was working great in the Gotham nightlies, at least for me. Not sure when it broke. Must have been just before 13.0.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
I hope anyone will help us to fix it Smile
It seems unlikely, particularly as the subtitle addon means an srt is a few clicks away.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes but SRT is not SUP Smile
SRT is text based, SUP is graphic based and quality is superior. Also, SUP can be converted to 3D with real depth and not with a fixed depth.
So if anyone could help us it would be very perfect !
I was playing around last night with subs for 3D videos and found that if I use MakeMKV to convert the 3D to MVC, I can mux the pgs/sup subs into the 3D rip that I created with DVDFab. That way the subs are 2D and it seems to be working properly in 2D or 3D viewing. Let's me keep the original sub tracks. It's a little work, but I think it's better than using SRT's.

Thanks to da-anda for helping me with this.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Have you tried with Half SBS / Half TB subtitles pgs/sup ? 3D MVC is different with subtitle than 3D HSBS/HTB.
hsbs/htab subs will always be borked - regardless of video format
So far I haven't found any problems. I've used the MVC subs as described with half sbs and full sbs playing in 2D and 3D without any problems. I've only tested with 3 movies so far since it takes 8 to 12 hours for DVDFab to encode the hsbs/fsbs backups, but seems to working great. This testing has all been done in Gotham so far. I'm planing on installing Helix beta2 on another machine just to check it, just haven't had a chance yet.
there was no change in Helix in this regard. And yes, 2D subtitles will work for 2D and 3D playback. But 3D (sbs/tab) subtitles won't work atm - regardless on the video encoding (MVC, sbs/tab)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D subtitles support1