Kodi for xbox one
Sorry if this has been asked, but is there any chance of a Kodi for xbox like Plex? I know that Plex was probably easier because it just looks for a server with media and with Kodi we need to manually add sources and add xml files for sql connectivity. Even so, is there any chance of a Kodi for the one? I'm not sure how you'd allow sql connectivity but maybe using upnp? I must say that Plex on the One is pretty cool, especially with voice control. The main problems I see are it doesn't indicate if a movie is 3d and if I play a 3d movie, it has long pauses, it doesn't have smart playlists (so I can categorize 3d and non 3d movies), and audio seems to indicate 5.1 no matter if I ripped the movie with 7.1 hd audio. Additionally, the Kinect seems to interfere with 3D playback, something they somehow dealt with in the 3d Blu Ray player.

Just thinking out loud, I'm guessing there is no way to add an advancedsettings.xml to the directory structure, so upnp might have to bed the delay to go.

So is it feasible or should we consider Kodi separate from consoles? I already have my htpc for Kodi, I just thought the xbox one version of Plex is pretty darned cool.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Already asked so many times and still it's no.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Simply out of curiosity, is there any way to rip out the xbox one game os and install linux or windows7 onto this computer?
Or does xbox one or ps4 use a UEFI encrypted secure boot mechanism which locks you out of your hardware and makes installing your own OS (with XBMC and a bunch of usb dvb-t tuners) impossible?
I'm a XBMC novice :)
It would be possible but highly unlikely unless your Sony or ms or someone with more money than scrooge McDuck. You could install Linux on a ps3 and I still don't think it has GPU drivers for it that are capable of running XBMC.
I had linux on my ps3 until my nephew put in a game and was prompted to update the firmware. He clicked 'yes' before i could yell "no" and the system updated past the point of no return Sad
So, i lost access to linux and some of my files and quickly lost interest in finding out if the graphics driver side developed to the point of fully utilizing the hardware (and so being truelly usefull).
If i could have rolled back to a capable firmware, i would have continued with dabbling with linux on ps3.
I could not roll back and so never looked at the developement/improvement of the graphics driver side so don't know if xbmc was ever usable....

But what sticks in my mind is that i was sold a system which was represented as being linux capable but then had Sony steal the feature from me which left me feeling violated Angry
Needless to say i don't touch Sony products any more Nod

The lastest xbone seems like reasonable hardware and the price is not crazy.
And other than a probable secure boot lockout, completely replacing the firmware and gamesos should be possibe if one does not care about also playing xbox games on this device.
It shouldn't be a matter of being Sony or MS, or having more $$ than Scrooge McDuck for that matter.
It's simply being a firmware/bios/uefi capable designer (which i'm not) with access to flash programers that should be enough.
But i don't have the inclination any more and won't touch Sony products as mentioned Nod

Sometimes i do wonder what is involved in realseing a trivial but authorized xbone game that has a kodi eastereg within Smile
Yeah, i know, tell him he's dreamin...
If youre going to replace the whole OS there is really zero point in doing so - you can get better hardware for a htpc for less. The real allure to running XBMC on a console is keeping all the consoles functionality while being able to use XBMC - launching it like a installed game or using xbmc as a game launcher, like what was possible with the Xbox 1.
Don't disagree but sometimes there are deals on game consoles and the price can be very attractive.
In these instances ripping out the game os (if it could be done easily) and installing a general purpose os on the hardware could be worthwhile to me.
And what better way to stick it to sony, than to buy a heavily discounted or subsidized ps4 (only when sony would make a loss on it), convert it to a PC and never run a ps4 game through it.
Sad to see Plex making monumental strides by getting into PS4 or Xbox one and smart TVs...and kodi can't even make its way to th App Store
(2015-01-04, 05:54)markus3000 Wrote: Sad to see Plex making monumental strides by getting into PS4 or Xbox one and smart TVs...and kodi can't even make its way to th App Store

Plex didn't get Plex for desktops to the PS4 or xbox one. Plex got a thin client for those devices. As for us not being on any app stores, that's mostly because of certain companies *cough*Dolby*cough* sending takedown notices to people who play videos that use their audio formats.

If someone wants to make a Kodi thin client for the PS4, xbox one or a smart TV, by all means, go for it. It just won't actually be Kodi, it will be a thin client, with a fraction of the features.
Now that windows 10 will allow streaming pc games to your Xbox one, that may allow a new exploit to stream Kodi from your pc to your Xbox one.. A little of a stretch but it may be possible!
Well I've heard of people streaming Kodi using the Nvidia solution, so from desktop with Nvidia GPU to android Nvidia Shield device. Not sure if this will be possible with the Microsoft solution as I had read as the Xbox would stream to the Windows 10 desktop, not the other way round.
Pretty silly that in order to run Kodi on my TV I have to buy a $35 raspberry pi. Xbox One will run Windows 10 and support Universal Apps. It seems irresponsible for Kodi not to take advantage of that, to shut down the many people who request it for Xbox One, and leave the market to Plex. That makes no sense from a practical standpoint, and even if it's tough technically, constantly saying "no we won't do it, never ever" to people who like your product and would pay for such a feature.... makes me sad.

What's missing? Do you need more people? Do you need more money for licenses? What other work is so important that you haven't prioritized putting your software on an excellent media machine?
(2015-02-24, 21:45)skywalker993 Wrote: Pretty silly that in order to run Kodi on my TV I have to buy a $35 raspberry pi. Xbox One will run Windows 10 and support Universal Apps. It seems irresponsible for Kodi not to take advantage of that, to shut down the many people who request it for Xbox One, and leave the market to Plex. That makes no sense from a practical standpoint, and even if it's tough technically, constantly saying "no we won't do it, never ever" to people who like your product and would pay for such a feature.... makes me sad.

What's missing? Do you need more people? Do you need more money for licenses? What other work is so important that you haven't prioritized putting your software on an excellent media machine?

...I don't think that the word 'irresponsible' means what you think it means...
It's technically very difficult, so difficult that it may in fact be impossible due to the restrictions Microsoft place on Metro/Universal apps, these are restrictions such as how the app accesses the file system that do not exist for desktop apps.
Quote:Pretty silly that in order to run Kodi on my TV I have to buy a $35 raspberry pi.

I think it's pretty amazing that we run on a $35 computer. It's incredible hardware and an incredible price. We used to have to spend at least $300-400 on a large PC to use XBMC.

It's pretty silly to complain about $35, as well as thinking it would be practical for people to waste their free and valuable time porting to the Xbox One just to save you $35.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi for xbox one3