Kodi for xbox one
(2016-10-27, 06:01)silence48 Wrote:
(2015-02-24, 22:26)jjd-uk Wrote: It's technically very difficult, so difficult that it may in fact be impossible due to the restrictions Microsoft place on Metro/Universal apps, these are restrictions such as how the app accesses the file system that do not exist for desktop apps.

I think this is wrong... I don't know for sure but, I will find out this week when I get back in town. (I'm a microsoft MVP and pretty skilled microsoft developer, I also use KODI Heavily as my primary media app for my tv's and accessing my massive media collection, would love for it to work on xbox as we have 5.)
Anyways, here's the requirements and instructions to Convert your desktop application to a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app

Now, onto the exciting stuff, recently Microsoft released this great tool:

Desktop App to UWP App Converter

Anyways, I don't know if anyone's tried this yet, or if anyone has tried the option of enabling developer mode on your xbox one, then loading kodi in that manner? Just an idea.

That was written by me back in 2015 long before the centennial project was announced, or the changes to UWP and Windows Store to tie in with the Win 10 Anniversary and latest Xbox One updates came into being. How do you think we've now been able to get into the Store? it was using precisely that Converter. However all the converter does is take your desktop app and re-packages it into a Store compatible format, so uses appx instead of exe and sandboxes stuff more than a conventional desktop app would do, however the Store app even after being run through the converter still remains at it's heart an unchanged Win 32 desktop app.

To be able to run on Xbox One, Windows Mobile etc I think you've still have to be a true UWP app which means porting to Windows Runtime, but as there's been a lot of changes surrounding UWP in the last few months I'm not sure this is still the case, maybe Martijn might know more on this since he was heavily involved in getting Kodi into the Store.
What does microsoft mvp mean?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Microsoft_Mo...ofessional
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
I like that ... still an MVP should never underestimate the complexity of Kodi ... Big Grin
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2016-10-27, 06:42)Martijn Wrote:
(2016-10-27, 06:01)silence48 Wrote:
(2015-02-24, 22:26)jjd-uk Wrote: It's technically very difficult, so difficult that it may in fact be impossible due to the restrictions Microsoft place on Metro/Universal apps, these are restrictions such as how the app accesses the file system that do not exist for desktop apps.

I think this is wrong... I don't know for sure but, I will find out this week when I get back in town. (I'm a microsoft MVP and pretty skilled microsoft developer, I also use KODI Heavily as my primary media app for my tv's and accessing my massive media collection, would love for it to work on xbox as we have 5.)
Anyways, here's the requirements and instructions to Convert your desktop application to a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app

Now, onto the exciting stuff, recently Microsoft released this great tool:

Desktop App to UWP App Converter

Anyways, I don't know if anyone's tried this yet, or if anyone has tried the option of enabling developer mode on your xbox one, then loading kodi in that manner? Just an idea.

Hahahaha
Sorry for laughing but you really think we don't know such things already?
You know how much time it took to actually get that working and the changes it actually took to be able to run as a UWP app with the centennial project?

Additionally none of us have an Xbox to start with so trying to get there we'd first need devices.

How many devices do you need? I bet I could get enough cash for a couple Ones and One S's if it meant you guys would dev it for us lucky users! =)
Ok we have devices then - now we need someone interested in working on it...
Hope a true universal app for my Xbox One and my Windows mobile.

Windows 10 OneCore!

Thanks Kodi team
Searching for Kodi for XBO brought me here. Hello guys!

After reading through this thread i'm happy that you still thinking about bringing Kodi to the XBO. I understand that this is a lot of work, i'm not a programmer (not even close), so i'll have no idea how much work and time this really takes. But talking about all those various options MS offers to help bringing software as a UWP to the W10 store (and from there to the XBO, Mobile & Hololens store) you've said that the actually Kodi UWP is ported by Project Centennial, but it still is a Win32-"App" under the hood - wouldn't it be easier to convert the iOS-Version of Kodi with Project Islandwood? Or is this even more unrealistic?
Come on guys, my XBO and NAS need you! (even plex is available for the XBO but i still prefer Kodi because it's the nicer one).

The only other option i see for me at the moment would be setting up a Raspberry with Kodi. But that would also mean one more remote or spending couple of money on a universal remote like the Logitech Harmony. And on top of that, everytime i would use the Raspberry my XBO would make a sad face Sad

Big ups to the team behind Kodi
ThePumisher
Actually you probably wouldn't need another remote, at least if your TV is of a reasonable spec/age. The Pi has CEC (wiki) built-in, so if it's connected via HDMI to the TV and the TV also supports it (almost all do these days) then you can actually control Kodi on the Pi with your TV remote control. I do so at home with my cheap and cheerful dumb LG TV, works fine.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Hey gang!

Any further word on this? Several months have gone by since the last post. I know there are many of us out there dying to replace Plex with Kodi.

Thanks again for your efforts!
Rome wasn't built in a day. Wink
See https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2017/T6107-R2
Very exciting! Excellent seeing Kodi at Build this year! Good progress and provides great hope that it won't be too awfully long to see an Xbox version! Keeping our fingers crossed! :-)

Thanks for sharing that link!
Progress: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/12942
Piece of cake, just 7000+ lines of code Wink
And I was wondering why afedchin has been a little quiet lately.
From what I understand this is just the first very large step to get Kodi into the Store as a true UWP app, further work will still be required before Kodi can become available for the xbox one.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi for xbox one3