• 20(current)
QUARTZ - Gotham
ubuntuf4n Wrote:Sure,
I am using it on my second system,
it's an Intel Centrino 1.6Ghz Notebook with an Ati Mobility X600 and 1.5gb Ram. OS is WinXp 32-bit.

Retrieving data over Wifi from a Network-Server.

As mentioned disabling the fanart (in the latest build)

Thanks for the kind words.

If I'm not mistaken, problem is with latest builds. I did not measure, of course, but I would say that latest builds are aprox. 20% slower than Dharma or pre-Eden builds introduced immediately after dirty regions. Since you are on XP, it should be fairly easy to try it with Dharma after you backup your DB.

Retrieving data over wifi should not be a problem, but I have no experience with mysql.

I have yet to make speed optimizations in Quartz, but I would expect no more than few percent speed increase after I'm done.

Please, post how it went with Dharma if you decide to give it a try.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Basically, I am currently still using stable 10.1 (Dharma).
Furthermore I was referring to the latest repo-update of quartz (not using svn-version of quartz).

Cheers
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
ubuntuf4n Wrote:Basically, I am currently still using stable 10.1 (Dharma).
Furthermore I was referring to the latest repo-update of quartz (not using svn-version of quartz).

I thought you were referring to a XBMC build not a skin build.

If that's under Dharma, let's hope new release will make it better. Also, dirty regions will bring additional 15-25% boost so you will be able to use fanart.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Thanks for the answer,

are you using SVN so I could revert to a earlier version till then ?

Cheers
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
ubuntuf4n Wrote:Thanks for the answer,

are you using SVN so I could revert to a earlier version till then ?

Cheers

No, but I might have some of the older versions and if so I could upload them to a skin repo. What version do you need?

EDIT: Have you been able to use fanart with older versions of the skin?

EDIT: If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, here's what I want you to try. Open up Includes.xml. Find this section and comment it out like here:

Code:
[color=Red]<!--[/color]<control type="image">
                <posx>0</posx>
                <posy>0</posy>
                <width>1280</width>
                <height>720</height>
                <texture>img/VignetteDefault.png</texture>
                <aspectratio>stretch</aspectratio>
            </control>[color=red]-->[/color]

Now, goto skin setting and choose black background (first one). Enable fanart. Finally, choose Fanart view (NOT fanart2). Please, post your findings about possible speed gains.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

My second machine is currently unavailable, but I am going to check this when I get it back.

Btw, I was talking about an upload of the version with the longer list.

Cheers
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
First, a small thing that annoys me: The file selector does wrap around (ie, normally pressing up at the top of a list will put the "cursor" at the buttom, it does not).

Feature requests:
  1. (Configurable) Support for media flags. I miss them.
  2. (Configurable) Different watced icons. The current icon is hard to make out on a small screen.

In my opinion fixing these things would make the skin go from super to superior Big Grin

mvh
Allan
ubuntuf4n Wrote:My second machine is currently unavailable, but I am going to check this when I get it back.

Btw, I was talking about an upload of the version with the longer list.

Cool.

I hate to say it but I do not remember what version it was :-))

I can make that when fanart is off longer list is used (List view only!) if that would help? Still would like to know you findings/answers to what I posted above, when you get to it.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

ajoergensen Wrote:First, a small thing that annoys me: The file selector does wrap around (ie, normally pressing up at the top of a list will put the "cursor" at the buttom, it does not).

Feature requests:
  1. (Configurable) Support for media flags. I miss them.
  2. (Configurable) Different watced icons. The current icon is hard to make out on a small screen.

1. will fix
2. I don't rule additional flags out but they probably won't be added in the near future
3. I have prepared different marks
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko ... is a new release on the horizon or are you still squashing bugs ... ? Note that the library scanning crash for music is fixed in git head.

Also when dirty regions are set to 2 .. Cost reduction the list view shows kind of a "shear" in the title on music (and probably video) ... my guess is this is not a skin issue but more of a dirty regions issue. I have not tested against dirty regions 1.

Just kind of an fyi ... still by far the best atv like skin made! This should *definitely* be in the xbmc add on repo. Do you have any reservations about it being included in the official repo ?
dynaflash Wrote:pecinko ... is a new release on the horizon or are you still squashing bugs ... ? Note that the library scanning crash for music is fixed in git head.

Yup. It will be available very soon. I consider it final release and will probably do only bug fixes for some time. I have added Wall and WideList view and played a bit with some of the graphics. I'm polishing it right now.

Quote:Also when dirty regions are set to 2 .. Cost reduction the list view shows kind of a "shear" in the title on music (and probably video) ... my guess is this is not a skin issue but more of a dirty regions issue. I have not tested against dirty regions 1.

This happens with DR 1, too. For some reason, DR are having problems with fadelabels. I hope devs will fix it.

Quote:This should *definitely* be in the xbmc add on repo. Do you have any reservations about it being included in the official repo ?

No, I don't. It would be probably easier for less experienced users to find it and install.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:No, I don't. It would be probably easier for less experienced users to find it and install.
Given the crappy quoting in this forum your reply to my reply is lost. Be that as it may ... excellent. I will push for it externally. afaik by far the best media skin especially if coming from the apple eco system ... but also its well worth noting there is probably a reason it has such a following and success ... mostly because people like it in general. Somehow you managed to capture that and as well inject it with steroids. Smile

All I can say is "well done". Have seen and used them all and this is it. Done deal. Signed sealed and (as far as I am concerned) delivered.

Kudos.
pecinko Wrote:...
I can make that when fanart is off longer list is used (List view only!) if that would help?...

Yep, list-view would be enough. Smile

pecinko Wrote:...
Still would like to know you findings/answers to what I posted above, when you get to it.

Sure, will do that, I am also interested into optimizing this skin because this is my prefered skin on my second low-power-machine.
I would even say, that I couldn't find a skin with lesser performance-requirements and fonts which are easily readable on Standard-TVs.

Cheers
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
ubuntuf4n Wrote:Yep, list-view would be enough. Smile

Just to be sure - this would leave you without metadata info?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

dynaflash Wrote:All I can say is "well done". Have seen and used them all and this is it. Done deal. Signed sealed and (as far as I am concerned) delivered.

Thanks. Coming from Apple platform myself (and at the same time not being Apple fanboi:-) I was trying to extend Apple simplicity in such a way to allow more advanced features XBMC provides. This means not sticking to ATV UI to the letter (which some of the users do not like).

However, I like to think that UI is logical and easy to use for Linux and Windows users, too. There is maybe an adoption curve as options menu is on the right side (contrary to Confluence) but, other than that, they should feel comfortable.

I am, as always, open to suggestions regarding possible improvements of user experience.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

• 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QUARTZ - Gotham12