• 45(current)
QUARTZ - Gotham
Pecinko, I love the new layout, very nice! Glad you aren't changing it back!
MacBook Pro 13", XBMC v12.1
AppleTV, OpenELEC v3.0.1
AppleTV2, Latest iOS
AppleTV3, Latest iOS
Pecinko, I am sorry, I realize my last post came off very harsh.

My issue was the vertical menu looks so much different than the previous horizontal menu. Also now all my menu items say [$VARVIDEO##] or something like that rather than VIDEO. After deleting and reinstalling it still does that. It also no longer has a clock in the corner.

I have tried adding the Add On short cuts again, I now realize you must set them up as XBMC favorites in order to get them to show up. Before you could just link straight to the add-on, that was why I could not find them.

Ultimately, the theme no longer fits the desired use for aTV, but is still the fastest running skin there is. So for people not on aTV, use this theme, you won't regret it.
thechrisreese Wrote:Pecinko, I am sorry, I realize my last post came off very harsh.

My issue was the vertical menu looks so much different than the previous horizontal menu. Also now all my menu items say [$VARVIDEO##] or something like that rather than VIDEO. After deleting and reinstalling it still does that. It also no longer has a clock in the corner.

I have tried adding the Add On short cuts again, I now realize you must set them up as XBMC favorites in order to get them to show up. Before you could just link straight to the add-on, that was why I could not find them.

Ultimately, the theme no longer fits the desired use for aTV, but is still the fastest running skin there is. So for people not on aTV, use this theme, you won't regret it.

Mate everything's OK. No offense taken. Thanks for stating it publicly as most people don't. I respect that.

This post is more informative, too so I can suggest that problem can be solved with newer XBMC build. Those $VARs are shown as they're not recognized by your older build. Clock is still there, but you have mouse support enabled and this makes skin show touch buttons instead, so disable mouse and enjoy your clock.

Addons are assigned through add ons not favorites - enable media panel on add ons link or, if you're using separate items (video add ons, music...) enable media panel for those you wish to assign add ons to. When using common ADDONS link - you choose from all add ons and if you enable, say, only music add ons -- panel will offer to make a link only to music ones.

As for non Apple look, completely different vertical layout etc. From the start, I wanted a skin that is easy and enjoyable to use. For me, new version finally fulfills this (and I have a few ideas how to improve it). Now, if most of you think it's good - I have fun and continue to play with it. If most of you think it's crap - I stop coding, you go elsewhere (plenty of skins here) and I use Quartz for my needs only.

Posts like yours make me believe we can still have some fun. Post about your progress with the above. Cheers.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

thechrisreese Wrote:My issue was the vertical menu looks so much different than the previous horizontal menu. Also now all my menu items say [$VARVIDEO##] or something like that rather than VIDEO. After deleting and reinstalling it still does that. It also no longer has a clock in the corner.

Hello

I had same problem (most of texts was just links to variables, even plot and name of the movie) - until I installed last (nightly) xbmc version. Now everything is ok and working perfectly.
Thanks Pecinko..

/ld
Never realized there was a new version (I've been running Quartz nightly) Smile

Not a big fan of the vertical menu, but the skin has improved in so many ways that I am able to live with it.

A few minor quirks

1) The default backdrop for Video make the screen feel skewed to the right (the menu on the right plus the stuff on the right of the center)

2) When entering TV shows, the backdrop of movies is used

/a
Hi, nice skin indeed.

I am wondering, how do you display the TV show cover on the home media panel? I only got a preview of the recently added, not the cover.

Thanks.
ajoergensen Wrote:2) When entering TV shows, the backdrop of movies is used

This seem to be the case for video add-ons and Video as well

/a
Backgrounds:
Xbmc does not really differentiate between different video sections. I tried to use some checks in order to show appropriate background but gave up eventually. What I can do is to change default BG from movies' one to videos' one. This way videos background will be showned if you are not IN movies, music videos or tv section. Thoughts?

Default videos background: I would like to change it to something better but I was not able to find nice one. If you have a tip or can make one I'll be happy to use it. What I can do now is to try to flip it, so image "focus" will be on left.

Quartz (nightly) users: I never wanted to do a skin name split ( quartz vs quartz (nightly) ) but was forced to do because of xbmc constraints. Thus, quartz (nightly) users did not receive automatic update as I have pushed skin under different name. Sorry, I agree it's kind of messy but there is nothing I can do. Other skinners tend to keep a separate svn/nightly/git versions while I preffer to push less frequent updates.

Season/Tv shows thumbs: as expected we will be seeing more of this questions Smile As stated before, I was not able to persuade devs to accept this feature in pre-eden repo. They probably do not see it as "big of a deal". So, season thumbs are not supported by xbmc ATM. Let's hope this will change soon.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Afraid I have to agree with thechrisreese, despite playing with the settings, the latest version is not as clean or fast on atv2. I appreciate where you are coming from re why you have made the changes and am not complaining as have rolled back as you suggested; the previous version is still the best by far on atv2.

Cheers.
I have no means of testing the skin on ATV2 ATM.

Roughly, how much slower is it comparing to Quartz 1? 5%?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Guys for what its worth I have tested both extensively on an atv 1 running linux and xbmc git head (the atv 1 is running a chd). While the atv2 has a much faster cpu ... it is also very ram limited (in fact 256 mb same as atv 1) now, that said .....

In my opinion Q1 is a bit faster than Q2 I guess ... but on my setups its very marginal at best.

I have an atv2 I could test on but frankly its been in its box since shortly after I got it since the atv 1 with chd is so much faster.

Now dirty regions and turbo jpeg in the xbmc config may be making a huge difference on the atv 1. But this really should still be a light skin. Maybe not as light as Q1 was. but still very light. Just my .02

Pecinko ... maybe the rounded corners on thumbs and media flags ?
dynaflash Wrote:Pecinko ... maybe the rounded corners on thumbs and media flags ?

Definitely. However - flags I can make optional, rounded corners are completely different beast and besides I like them too very much Smile

Is there any other "rounded corners skin" that runs better on ATV :p
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Pecinko: personally I agree. working nice here! Was just kind of throwing stuff at the wall to see what would stick. Very quick and smooth here.
pecinko Wrote:I have no means of testing the skin on ATV2 ATM.

Roughly, how much slower is it comparing to Quartz 1? 5%?

It's mainly navigating through the main menu, with quartz 1 there is no delay, with quartz 2 there is a noticeable lag as you move between menu items, I assume this is as the section backgrounds load, in Quartz 1 I use a global plain background, I couldn't find the option for this in Quartz 2|
Apologies for the poor quality pic but this is what I mean re a plain background, I find the view a lot cleaner, and there is no lag when moving between menu items. This config works very well for me because generally use the movie addins and movie library most.

• 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QUARTZ - Gotham12