• 5(current)
Google Nexus Player
This thing is going to be awesome. Even if the exact specs of this box don't work for you, it's going to push the market towards fully-ready x86 boxes that are under $100. Even an ARM version will probably be great, but having it be x86 opens up so many opportunities.
Looks like this box isn't aimed at us it's aimed at casual consumers. I think this is a huge mistake. I would assume a large crossover between buyers of Nexus devices and techie av enthusiasts who like to futz with Kodi. I'm sure every design choice was driven by cost, like going with an underwhelming Atom CPU, limited storage and leaving out Ethernet. I'm guessing a K1 and more storage would result in either a higher price point, or an unacceptably low margin for Asus.
So, CE manufacturers of the world. Let it be known that Kodi users want Ethernet, min of 16gb storage, a kickass SOC, and IR.
(2014-10-16, 17:40)theslime Wrote: Also, maybe I'm dense, but why do you need IR on this? It already has a remote.

so it works with a single universal (harmony) remote.
Google Chromebox + Openelec poops on this Cool
(2014-10-16, 19:13)loki05 Wrote: Google Chromebox + Openelec poops on this Cool

Really depends on the features you want.

I require:
1) Ability to use native streaming apps via remote (Netflix, Twitch, Amazon, Hulu, etc)
2) Low price (<$150 required, <$100 optimal)
3) Easy navigation between XBMC / other apps
4) Playback of blu-ray rips

I'd like:
5) Voice control
6) IR control
7) Wired ethernet (don't have an AC router currently)
8) Chromecast abilities

I don't particularly care about:
9) HD audio
10) More storage (why do people want this?)

Chromebox fails on 1, 2, 4. This fails on 5,7.

Different features for different requirements. Nothing really "poops on" anything.

(2014-10-16, 17:59)DrowningApe Wrote: Looks like this box isn't aimed at us it's aimed at casual consumers. I think this is a huge mistake. I would assume a large crossover between buyers of Nexus devices and techie av enthusiasts who like to futz with Kodi.....Let it be known that Kodi users want Ethernet, min of 16gb storage, a kickass SOC, and IR.
I agree there is probably a large crossover. But it's also the case that we likely make up a very small % of the overall market.

Most people just want a streaming box to get netflix / Hulu / etc, maybe play angry birds once in a while (is that still a thing?)

I suspect compared to that market, the Kodi market is very small.

Why the requirement for more storage? What are you putting on the box that takes so much space?
(2014-10-16, 19:30)GoodCode Wrote:

I require:
1) Ability to use native streaming apps via remote (Netflix, Twitch, Amazon, Hulu, etc)

I'd like:
5) Voice control
6) IR control
8) Chromecast abilities

9) HD audio

Different features for different requirements. Nothing really "poops on" anything.

Asus Chrome box does have wired ethernet, so #7 is wrong. It plays bluray rips perfectly with no issues..so #4 is wrong. So you're other "features"

- remote that can play netflix/amazon and others
- voice
- price (16ssd vs 8ssd) ...

kinda debatable on the pooping.
After you've installed an OS, and a few android games, that 8gb is not sufficient for posters and fan-art. When I tried a FireTV it ran out of space quickly. I'm using a chromebox with openELEC at present, and 16gb gives me loads of space.
(2014-10-16, 17:46)Ned Scott Wrote: This thing is going to be awesome. Even if the exact specs of this box don't work for you, it's going to push the market towards fully-ready x86 boxes that are under $100. Even an ARM version will probably be great, but having it be x86 opens up so many opportunities.

I agree. This is really the first of it's kind, an Android TV (OS) x86 box.

It's enough to make one excited just to see what new capabilities Android TV will bring, especially running on x86.

(2014-10-16, 19:30)GoodCode Wrote: Why the requirement for more storage? What are you putting on the box that takes so much space?

Because it limits the number of apps you can have installed at anyone time, and by the time you install Kodi then add your media library (if you have a large amount of media) you don't have much or any space left for anything else with only 8GB.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

I wouldn't say that until it gets released. Specs alone don't really mean much. With the right software support you can find yourself with something that is more suited to being an HTPC than something "faster" or with more ports.
(2014-10-16, 19:39)loki05 Wrote:
(2014-10-16, 19:30)GoodCode Wrote:

I require:

I'd like:
5) Voice control
6) IR control
8) Chromecast abilities

9) HD audio

Asus Chrome box does have wired ethernet, so #7 is wrong. It plays bluray rips perfectly with no issues..so #4 is wrong. So you're other "features"

- remote that can play netflix/amazon and others
- voice
- price (16ssd vs 8ssd) ...

kinda debatable on the pooping.
Oops I renumbered my list, and forgot to renumber deficiencies...

I meant:
Chromebox fails on 1,2,5. (no native players, cost >$200, no voice control)
Nexus fails on 6,7 (no IR, no wired ethernet)

Overall I can live without the IR if the voice control works reasonably. No wired ethernet is annoying as I'd have to upgrade to AC for just 1 device.
(2014-10-16, 21:48)GoodCode Wrote: Oops I renumbered my list, and forgot to renumber deficiencies...

I meant:
Chromebox fails on 1,2,5. (no native players, cost >$200, no voice control)
Nexus fails on 6,7 (no IR, no wired ethernet)

Overall I can live without the IR if the voice control works reasonably. No wired ethernet is annoying as I'd have to upgrade to AC for just 1 device.

1) conceded, but somewhat mitigated if you dual-boot ChromeOS (though still far from ideal)
2) depends on your location; the Asus was $130 AR in the US recently
5) voice control is possible using YATSE Android app
Do people actually use voice control day to day?

I don't think I've ever used siri, google voice search, or other such services for anything other than just testing them out.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
For all of you asking, yes you can sideload XBMC/Kodi to it, the latest Helix nightly works fine on it, I use it everyday on my adt-1
(2014-10-16, 22:39)BradleyR Wrote: For all of you asking, yes you can sideload XBMC/Kodi to it, the latest Helix nightly works fine on it, I use it everyday on my adt-1

One of our devs uses it as well.
Only some general issues because of Android L
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-10-16, 22:29)lrusak Wrote: Do people actually use voice control day to day?

I don't think I've ever used siri, google voice search, or other such services for anything other than just testing them out.

My family uses it pretty successfully with the XBox One for Netflix. Admittedly it depends on the person. I'm about 99% on accuracy, two of my kids are around 90%. My youngest daughter (missing 2 front teeth) get's maybe 30% hits.

The funniest is my wife...she's around 50% as she won't learn to enunciate with it (it does take a bit of practice). It drives her a bit nuts that she'll be "Xbox, turn off....Xbox, turn off...Xbox, turn off". Then on of my kids shouts from the other room "Xbox, turn off" and it turns off.

In any case, three out of five of us find it useful enough that it's a nice to have on a replacement device (what I really want is to stop having xbox for netflix/twitch/hulu/etc and using a separate box for XBMC).
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7