• 54(current)
Google Nexus Player
I'm just making sure of this: if I bought a Nexus Player and wanted to play media files from a USB flash drive on it (possibly a full-blown external hard drive later, though I'd prefer doing it all from a NAS), can it do it out of the box or would I have to root the thing?
The Player supports USB OTG so you could do it with no software modifications but you would need an micro USB to OTG adapter and possibly a powered hub unless the HDD was externally powered. There are several Ethernet adapters that include a non powered USB hub, so you pick up Ethernet and USB.
I had purchased one of these boxes lately to test out, and have been running into some streaming issues.
Kodi seems to run well, and streaming DVD rips works. However if I stream a blu-Ray it seems it becomes a buffering mess.

I figured it was due to using wifi, and maybe particularly using N vs AC. This is the case when I am right next to the router. A computer connected through wifi 25feet away can playback the content with little to no buffering.

So I'd like to know if I can fix this, or if this is normal and a USB Ethernet adapter is the only way to go.
(2016-01-31, 06:12)ertman Wrote: I had purchased one of these boxes lately to test out, and have been running into some streaming issues.
Kodi seems to run well, and streaming DVD rips works. However if I stream a blu-Ray it seems it becomes a buffering mess.

I figured it was due to using wifi, and maybe particularly using N vs AC. This is the case when I am right next to the router. A computer connected through wifi 25feet away can playback the content with little to no buffering.

So I'd like to know if I can fix this, or if this is normal and a USB Ethernet adapter is the only way to go.
Why would you not use Ethernet when your media player is right next to the router? Always use Ethernet when you can.

AC is a must when streaming 1080p video to this player and Ethernet is even better.
(2016-01-31, 10:10)Kodroid Wrote:
(2016-01-31, 06:12)ertman Wrote: I had purchased one of these boxes lately to test out, and have been running into some streaming issues.

Why would you not use Ethernet when your media player is right next to the router? Always use Ethernet when you can.

AC is a must when streaming 1080p video to this player and Ethernet is even better.

1. I don't have a USB ethernet adapter lying around, and this is not really the point. Ideally I would like, and likely will have it hooked up via ethernet.
2. Its next to the router for testing purposes, I already have a HTPC there which handles my DVR work and it is hooked up via ethernet.

What I was trying to do is troubleshoot why it can't stream high bitrate blu-rays (mkv) over wireless-n. Taking distance out of the equation, it should work given the network specs for the player. It doesn't appear to be the playback of the file, as similarly encoded but lower blu-ray rips can be streamed to the player, and the higher bit rate files can be streamed over larger distances (and multiple walls) to a computer (similar network capabilities) with less buffering.

I do understand that the bandwidth of AC would better for streaming 1080p content, the nexus player should be able to stream these files on 5ghz N about 1 foot away. Remember I am just testing this out for now.

Anyways, I guess I will just wait until I get a usb ethernet adapter. Would it be better to get the gigabit adapter or would fast ethernet be enough?

Thanks for replying.

*In no way am I saying this is a kodi problem.
Not sure if you know, but some Android apps that require or you use multiplayer will not work over ethernet. For example, on Android TV there is a game called MMX Trucks. If you try and play multiplayer via ethernet, it says there is a problem with the connection. If you play over wifi, it plays ok. This has happened for a few Android apps and seems to be common to both Android TV and tablet Android versions.
Give this Xposed module a shot.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/m...n-t2800416
Looking for help with live tv on nexus player. I'm using Argus TV as the PVR and every time I try to watch live tv it continually buffers, about every 10 seconds. I have the exact same issue with my Nexus 6. The Nexus Player is connected via ehternet, the Nexus 6 is wifi but the situation is exactly the same on both devices. I also have a Nvida Sheild, it works perftecly. I've tried changing some advanced settings (as recommended on the internet) and it seems like it is going to work as it doesn't buffer for about a minute, then it starts buffering every 5-seconds again. Can anyone help? Am I missing something obvious? Are other people able to get live tv working without buffering? Any help is appreciated.
Show us your advancedsettings.xml please.
Here are my advanced settings:

<--Created using Easy Advanced Settings addon -->
<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
<readufferfactor>20</readufferfactor>
</network>
<pvr>
<minvideocachelevel>20</minvideocachelevel>
</advancedsettings>

It seems like it is a problem with HD as I tuned an analog station and it worked fine. Netflix also works fine (in HD). Thanks.
Try the following

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
</network>
<pvr>
<minvideocachelevel>50</minvideocachelevel>
<minaudiocachelevel>50</minaudiocachelevel>
</pvr>
</advancedsettings>
Those settings gave it a very nominal improvement, instead of buffering every 10-seconds it buffers every 15-seconds. Totally unwatchable. Any other suggestions? Much appreciated.
Have you tried changing any of the video acceleration options?
I think I have. Within Kodi I have deselected allow hardware acceleration - libstagefright and MediaCodec from Acceleration Settings. Is this what you mean or is there other settings?
Yes that is what I was referring to. I know you probably don't want to, but have you thought about trying a different backend, just to see if anything changes, at least has a trial basis.
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7