• 3(current)
Microsoft High Definition AV pack no longer available? - Xbox Component Cables?
I took a chance and picked up the Joytech one for $18 USD shipped. It's an all in one connector with RGB composite, RCA component, S-Video, and optical audio. Saw the difference right away with the dash running at 1080i. It's too bad that maneuvering through the thumbs was painfully slow. Dropped the dash down to 720p and still a vast improvement over standard but noticably worse than 1080i. Many of my divx actually were worse after this. I had to play with the settings quite a bit. Some of them are still blurrier than with normal component cables. The other half had little to slight improvement upscaling to 1080i. Watching the video at original size, it's obvious the output is there and the source is just not good enough quality to display on my set (divx 6.0 encoded dvds using home theatre setting). Xvids also from dvd source were hit or miss as well. Finally, I tried a few AMT trailers and I could see what this xbox is actually capable of doing. The detail on high quality trailers was amazing compared to the normal cables. I tried a few true HD sources but of course, the xbox couldn't handle the stream. On lower quality HD streams (720p mpeg2 compressed from sat source), I got massive frame drops (avg 15 fps). On 1080i, I got the xbox to play for a maximum of 5 seconds before just choking up (though the picture that I did see was spectacular). Not bad for an $18 item. I think I picked them up at etoys, a subsidiary of eshop but the big box online stores had them for about the same price (sam's club, walmart).
update: just got my "BOX" knock-off HD Pack, and it works great (component video + optical digital audio), 720p 16:9 NTSC.
I got one of the MadCats from bestbuy ($15.00) and when it restarted (resolution was auto) it slammed into 1080i and blew me away. Course the animations and what have you slowed down so I went down to 720p but the overall change in clarity is amazing. All those silly custom DVD icons I was making.... I CAN SEE EM NOW! woohoo!
cool.... i was gonna ask about that. i now have a second hdtv set and have been trying to find an hd av pack. i was very close to manually adding the outputs myself right off the motherboard but i'd prefer to just get an avpack and save a few hours of work.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Made my own using the guides, wasnt too hard taking about an hour to get everything done. Used an old xbox composite lead and just rewired the 3 phono leads in it - Comp AudioL AudioR > Y Pb Pr. Also added a digital coaxial out by drilling a little hole in the back of the plug and inserting an old phono cable. Soldering was a little tricky due to the small contacts but it works and looks fantastic in 720p & 1080i. 1080i looks the best to me but its a little slow on the animations. But thats close up, from my normal viewing distance there isnt any noticable difference in the quality so left it at 720p for the smoother animations.

One thing that would be interesting to find out is if the bought leads are soldered correctly wrt the ground connections. It may not make that much difference but the lead I took apart connected all the ground wires together and connected them to the plugs casing and cable shielding instead of to the correct grounding pins on the avip.

Next job as kragh3d almost did, remove the AVIP and add all the outputs directly off the motherboard Smile
Jabbah Wrote:One thing that would be interesting to find out is if the bought leads are soldered correctly wrt the ground connections. It may not make that much difference but the lead I took apart connected all the ground wires together and connected them to the plugs casing and cable shielding instead of to the correct grounding pins on the avip.

yeah, and something's definitely wrong when a dude at home with a soldering iron and a junk box-o'-cables can make a better connector than what some companies are manufacturing and selling!
hi again guys,

I have been looking for some component video +optical audio on the internet, and I have found some Psyclone and and Monster Cables in Amazon.com and some other webs, but the thing is that none of them operates out of the USA.
do you know any web that sells in EuropeHuh

thanx!!
Another victim of the Joytech cable here. It's crap. I get worse picture in 720p than with the RGB scart cable. Nice ghosting etc.

As for how can it be better by hand-soldering? That's easy. If you just use 75ohm video-cable (or even 50-ohm computer cable) you already have way way better cable than what these guys peddle to us. I'm fairly certain the joytech cable contains in best scenario so-called "microphone" cable which is indeed shielded but has completely inappropriate impedance for video signal. Hence reflections, hence ghosting.

In fact I think I'll dig around a bit and see if I can locate the original composite cable ..

I take it you guys have had OK experiences with the "box" HD AV kit you have to buy a set of component cables for? Those seem to work out to about $25 including shipping (and 25€ for decent set of component cables..)
Jabbah Wrote:It may not make that much difference but the lead I took apart connected all the ground wires together and connected them to the plugs casing and cable shielding instead of to the correct grounding pins on the avip.

The grounding point shouldn't matter that much since it's not a differential (balanced) signal. Were they using coaxial cable? Like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RG-59.jpg
Barleyman Wrote:The grounding point shouldn't matter that much since it's not a differential (balanced) signal. Were they using coaxial cable? Like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RG-59.jpg

Yes, each of the internal cables was coaxial. The composite one was slightly thicker than the two audio ones so I used that for the Y component and used the audio for Pb and Pr. These were then aranged in a star shape with 3 spacer cables that kept them slightly seperated. The cable these all went in was also shielded.

Dont get any ghosting at 1080i so must be decent enough cable for it. It is a bit mad that the companies that make these cables cant spend a few extra pence on decent cables. Every penny of profit counts I guess.
Jabbah Wrote:Yes, each of the internal cables was coaxial. The composite one was slightly thicker than the two audio ones so I used that for the Y component and used the audio for Pb and Pr. These were then aranged in a star shape with 3 spacer cables that kept them slightly seperated. The cable these all went in was also shielded.

OK, we're talking about the original microsoft composite cable here? Not some no-name $4.99 clone?
I'd take the joytech cable apart myself but I'm trying to get my money back from it Rolleyes
Barleyman Wrote:OK, we're talking about the original microsoft composite cable here? Not some no-name $4.99 clone?

Yep, thats the one. I think its the one that came with the console. I have been using an advanced AV scart cable with optical out but couldnt bring myself to butcher that one. Probably would have broken the optical out as its moulded into the plug anyway! The composite one was spare so nothing to loose Smile

Can you buy the AVIP plugs or are they custom?
Hey guys.

Ive got the opportunity to pick up an original Microsoft HD adapter and cable. I just want a couple of questions cleared up before I pull the trigger.

Ive got a PAL box. In order for me to get 720p i need to change it over to NTSC right? But I can do that with "Enigmah-X PAL-NTSC Video Selector" cant I?

Also I don't have the MS dash installed on my box any more, its backed up but not installed. Do I need to change any settings in there? Its a PAL box and I don't remember seeing any options for HD display. Do I need to reinstall it then?

Id be grateful if someone could help me get these things straight in my head Smile
yes msdash is the easiest way to enable HD modes. Msdash requires a valid componentcable connected and xbox in ntsc mode before is shows the HD modes. this setting is then saved in an eeprom.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

• 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Microsoft High Definition AV pack no longer available? - Xbox Component Cables?3