• 8(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
(2014-10-29, 02:44)hdmkv Wrote: Bit of a honeymoon over with VidOn box, but I keep telling myself this is a $49 (well $59 with shipping) box, so gotta have expectations in check. At this point, I'm obviously keeping my Mede8er 600X3D's (I have two) as my dedicated home theater boxes, but will also keep my VidOn as a secondary box, as at this bargain price, it still does HD audio and full 3D, even with some catches.

Hey hdmkv, first I want to thank you for all of the great posts. I just found this forum a few days ago and already this thread has been extremely helpful and everyone here is very knowledgeable, so thank you all very much.

I kind of understand what you mean about the honeymoon phase being over; I can't say I love the box like I did the day I got it, but it still works great, and for the price it really can't be beat; just like you, the HD audio and 3D keep me coming back for more. In fact, I still really love it and have never had any major issues, aside from the occasional self power down, but I am getting to point where I am just going to throw that god damned stock controller out of window...

So, down to business, I am posting because I no longer live in the US and now require a VPN to do anything fun on the internet. I also don't have the knowledge or patience to set up a second router with a dedicated VPN to use with my VidOn Box.

So my question is: Have any of you run any VPN apps on you V Box? I am aware of the built in VPN access that all Android devices have, but that only works for web browsing, and I specifically want to be able to use Netflix and Hulu and other services that I am now prohibited from using.

As well, do you think I could run Orbot and Orweb on the V Box? I am going to try later today, along with those two I will specifically try Tunnel Bear, DroidVPN, OpenVPN and Hotspot Shield.

I will let you guys know what happens, but wanted to first seek advice from the VidOn Box masters here at Kodi.tv.

Thanks in advanced, and once again guys, thanks for all of your help.
By the way, are you guys running any emulators on your V Box? I tried John GBA Lite and MyBoy! (both of which totally suck, but when I had the idea to do this I didn't have access to my PC for the good emulators and when I tried to connect my phone to the V Box they didn't recognize each other).

So they both worked, but I could not access the menu in either, so no state saving, no using cheats, no fast forward, etc. I should mention that at the time I was using a mouse and the VidOn stock remote simultaneously, so that might have something to do with it.

As a brief aside, when playing Super Mario and Pokemon FireRed on the emulators, the stock remote wasn't capable of preforming all of the function of the controller, such as moving forward, so I had to use the mouse as well, which also was unable to completely fulfill the role as the mouse couldn't select certain items, specifically in Pokemon.

I need my Pokemon fix, and running it on my TV through the VidOn Box would not only make me very happy, but simultaneously destroy my relationship and any further productivity in my life, so it's really a win-win!

Any help is appreciated as I am sure there are fellow retro gamers in here that have done much more with their VidOn Box than I ever can.

Thanks everyone!
Ok, so Orbot and Orweb worked, kind of... I was able to successfully establish a connection to the Tor network and get a new IP. I tried a few .onion sites that I remembered and they didn't work, although I assume that is because they are down as I have not been on Tor in quite a while and I hear the US government has really been cracking down on them. I did eventually get to the Agora Marketplace, although I didn't get any further than the registration page as I don't have a recommendation to become a member. So I did get to a .onion site, yeah!

I also put Drastic, the NDS emulator, on my VidOn Box, along with Pokemon HeartGold and Animal Crossing Wild Worlds, but Animal Crossing exits out before I can even leave the startup screen, and Pokemon doesn't last much longer; long story short I was unable to play either. I will keep working on it and hopefully be posting positive results here soon.
Hey lostinthecity, I haven't had the need for VPN for personal use, so never tried it. Though I sometimes get tempted to in accessing UK content stateside.

I don't have any ROM's, so no experience there either. For Android games, I think VidOn can handle non graphics heavy games, but as the stock remote is useless and xbox360 controllers aren't recognized by the box, I'm guessing an Android controller like this is needed. Not worth it, not for this box, which I've concluded is best suited for movies/TV via VidOn's XBMC, using video add-ons and a few streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.). Live TV also not as much, but in my last post, I recalled I had the box set to 24Hz when testing OTA mpeg2, so manually switching to 60Hz helped. Kinda a pain to switch back and forth due to lack of auto-framerate, which I understand is an Android limitation. Like with my Fire TV, maybe I'll watch a few 24fps and 23.976fps content with VidOn set at 60Hz and see what it looks like. If decent, may just leave it at 60Hz for everything.

My Mede8er 600X3D has been my dedicated home theater box for a long time and looks like it'll stay that way. It's perfect (proper 23.976, hd audio, MVC/ISO 3D) except for one thing: no XBMC.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Hey, I just stumbled upon this; may try it on VidOn and Fire TV.
My Family Room Theater
Hey hdmkv, thank you for your timely reply. I figured I needed an android controller, but unfortunately US amazon is not an option for me, now I have to shop on the almighty Taobao, so I will order one this weekend and post my results here. And as far as a VPN goes, hop on a Dutch or Swiss server sometime to gain access to content on Netflix you never thought possible! The licensing rights are so much cheaper in Northern Europe so they have everything on Netflix!

Also, maybe you could help me out, I just re-setup my VidOn Box again, and cannot connect to my homegroup for the life of me. VidOn Box asks for a username and password when I try to connect to a SMB Device, but windows only offers me a password. So I cannot connect through SMB. I tried to connect through UpnP but although it is recognizing all of the content on my PC, it is not allowing me to play it, it simply shows the folders with my movies in them, but when I select a folder VidOn Box just kicks me back to the main "Add to Media Library" screen. And when I try to force my PC to recognize the VidOn Box, it only sees my cellphone (I have an HP Pavillion Touch with Windows 8).

Sorry to ask such rookie questions, but I am very new to all of this and am still learning. And I will check out Hola for the VidOn definitely, hopefully it will run like Orbot did (I only wish Free Gate had an Android app!)

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Also hdmkv, thank you for your reply over at AVS. Between here and there you guys are my only link to the tech world now that I live in this god forsaken "workers paradise" they call China...

But I cant get miracast to work for the god damn life of me. I am even ignoring my fiancee trying to get this damn thing to work.... Well I am plus 8 GMT so I am calling it quits for the night. Any response is welcome and much appreciated. Thanks hdmkv and everyone else on this forum for your great advice and awesome know-how!
Re: your connection issues, I don't know. In my case, I just connected via Ethernet to my router and it worked fine. Re: 'Homegroup', isn't that only between Windows 7/8/10 machines? I use a Synology NAS, but I'd assume on your Windows PC/server, you need to right-click and share your folders. Maybe this will help (even if targeted at WD TV media players).
My Family Room Theater
Little update... got a new AV receiver, and relieved hd audio and 3D work via it. It's the latest Onkyo TX-NR636 with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. Also has 4K, but I'm not 4K capable.
My Family Room Theater
Hi hdmkv,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the VidOn Box.
I mainly care for bluray 3D ISO support and like to know if this box plays the subtitles correctly. Can you please verify this?

The popcorn hour A400 I own does not play the subtitles in the correct 3D plane. They are on the back instead of in the front.
The Mede8er has the same issue when playing 3D MVC MKV but does it corerctly with an 3D ISO. See Mede8er Forum and
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=69390
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER
INTEL DN2820FYKH NUC 2D/3D WINDOWS
ACER HD9500BD / MARANTZ SR7009 ATMOS 7.1.4

Only full 3D BD I have on hand right now is 'Mr. Peabody & Sherman'. After I rip movie-only MKV's or ISO's, my BD's go into offsite storage. Would 'Peabody' work for what you want me to test? Just enable regular English subs and check if they appear in the front vs. inside/behind the image?
My Family Room Theater
That should do fine. Thanks. You should notice it immediately if the subs are not in front.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER

Hey everyone, just a bit of an update.

Firstly, thank you hdmkv for your help, but I cannot get the V Box to see my PC, although Windows claims it should be no problem, I also cant get damned Miracast to work either, so I am stuck taking up space behind the box with a portable hard drive... The point was to be wireless! Whatever.

Also, don't use Hola VPN, use Tunnel Bear or Droid VPN, much better.

As well, Orbot and Orweb work fantastically on the V Box, so if you guys are into onions, go for it.

NESoid, SNESoid, N64oid, Gameboid, GBCoid, and DraStic are all working perfectly for me on my V Box and I am now playing all of my favorite Nintendo titles on my big screen!

To those ends I bought a cheap Chinese Android usb game controller and my V Box recognized it so I no longer have to suffer through stock remote and/or mouse only gameplay, which is a huge improvement.

All is well with me and my VidOn Box, except for casting, I cannot cast from my PC to my V Box for the life of me and cannot figure out why, nor will the Box recognize my homegroup. I actually take that back, it does recognize my homegroup, it finds my PC, it finds the relevant files, but when I open the files through my V Box they are empty. I have no idea why this is occurring or how to solve it, for now. Hopefully genius (read: one of you guys) will strike and I'll get it working soon.

Thanks everyone

Also, Miracast does not work at all for me.
Hey, opeters.
I just tested the 3D Blu-ray iso "The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey 2012 TW 3D Disc 2 Blu-ray 1080p AVC DTS-HD MA7.1-HDStar.iso" & "The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey 2012 TW 3D Disc 1 Blu-ray 1080p AVC DTS-HD MA7.1-HDStar.iso", the subtitles are in front of the pictures.
(2014-11-03, 10:05)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: Hey, opeters.
I just tested the 3D Blu-ray iso "The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey 2012 TW 3D Disc 2 Blu-ray 1080p AVC DTS-HD MA7.1-HDStar.iso" & "The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey 2012 TW 3D Disc 1 Blu-ray 1080p AVC DTS-HD MA7.1-HDStar.iso", the subtitles are in front of the pictures.

Thanks a lot for confirming this.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER

• 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3