• 18(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
(2014-12-05, 05:57)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote:
(2014-12-05, 05:50)movie78 Wrote: When did you release Gotham and did you fixed the buffering issue?

Tomorrow, on Saturday, the first VidOn XBMC (Gotham) will be submitted for testing, and if it could pass all tests, we will release it. Of course this version will solve the 3D Blu-ray buffering issue.

And next, we will solve the A/V sync problem.
All problems will be solved one by one.

What about VMC, when will that get release?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
And i said , all my settings are fine

Chipset limitationHuh? No sir , SOFTWARE LIMITATION

If i change my output to fullHD i expext getting true PHYSICAL resolution of 1920x1080 , and not upscaled hd

Like i said , i manually changed ANDROID resolution to PHYSICAL 1920x1080 , even posted pictures in your forum showing that

Your players play the video on a secondary framebuffer layer that is hard set to fill a rectangle sized 1280x720

I am a developer , i know what i am talking about ,

Look and read my posts in your site again , misleading answers is all i am getting back

you sell a box , publish it does fullHD , that is a lie , it only renders fullhd using your dedicated non working software and ONLY if playing videos (try looking at pictures , playing games or use any other app )

Man , your answer was so rude
I find it hard to believe it's a chipset limitation, it can play movies 1080p but not display the GUI? Hmm...
Sir, we have more than 50 developers sitting here, they don't know what you are trying to say.
Can you take a piece of video to show us what the problem you have encountered?

I explain the resolution problem again.

It's the chipset limitation, not software limitation. If we want to support 1080p UI, we need Allwinner's help, they need to modify the code.
We designed the UI at 1080p, but due to the limitation of the chipset, it can only output at 720p, and in order to fill your whole screen, the 720p UI will be stretched to 1080p, the so called upscale. All apps will run at 720p including VidOn XBMC. That's the UI.

Now let's talk about the playback.
When you play a 1080p Blu-ray iso/folder in VidOn XBMC or VMC, the output video is the true 1080p picture with hardware acceleration, it's not upscaled!

Your problem is (I guess) the VidOn XBMC only shows at the real 720p at the top-left corner of the screen and not full fills your 1080p screen. We never met this problem and can't replicate it. So we hope you post your settings so that we can see if anything is wrong and take a video and upload to youtube so we can know what happened on your TV through the video.
I'm stupid and i don't understand how a chipset hardware limited to 720p could display 1080p 1:1
(2014-12-05, 08:24)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: Sir, we have more than 50 developers sitting here, they don't know what you are trying to say.
Can you take a piece of video to show us what the problem you have encountered?

I explain the resolution problem again.

It's the chipset limitation, not software limitation. If we want to support 1080p UI, we need Allwinner's help, they need to modify the code.
We designed the UI at 1080p, but due to the limitation of the chipset, it can only output at 720p, and in order to fill your whole screen, the 720p UI will be stretched to 1080p, the so called upscale. All apps will run at 720p including VidOn XBMC. That's the UI.

Now let's talk about the playback.
When you play a 1080p Blu-ray iso/folder in VidOn XBMC or VMC, the output video is the true 1080p picture with hardware acceleration, it's not upscaled!

Your problem is (I guess) the VidOn XBMC only shows at the real 720p at the top-left corner of the screen and not full fills your 1080p screen. We never met this problem and can't replicate it. So we hope you post your settings so that we can see if anything is wrong and take a video and upload to youtube so we can know what happened on your TV through the video.

I think that is kernel issue. And seem the Allwinner doesn't provide the source code of kernel that Vidon.me can custom it

Some guys has modded the kernel for RK3066 to support 1080p framebuffer and it works well in my case
(2014-12-05, 08:24)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: It's the chipset limitation, not software limitation. If we want to support 1080p UI, we need Allwinner's help, they need to modify the code.

You see it?
doesn't the android kernel get covered by gpl too?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Android is the OS layer not the kernel. Android is apache, linux kernel is GPL, but Allwinner doesn't give a ..... about GPL
@VidOn.me-Wolly, seriously, VidOn needs to release all the source code for all public builds, not just the ones that you choose.

GPL is very black and white in that area, not a gray area at all as you might think, and ignoring this will make it worse.
on www.ArmTvTech.com

One guy has modified the stock firmware for cs868 (Allwinner A31) to support real 1080p

http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/...b4dbe8ba21
(2014-12-05, 12:05)RockerC Wrote: @VidOn.me-Wolly, seriously, VidOn needs to release all the source code for all public builds, not just the ones that you choose.

GPL is very black and white in that area, not a gray area at all as you might think, and ignoring this will make it worse.
Please stay tuned Github, the code will be submitted from next week.
(2014-12-05, 10:30)j1nx Wrote:
(2014-12-05, 08:24)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: It's the chipset limitation, not software limitation. If we want to support 1080p UI, we need Allwinner's help, they need to modify the code.
You see it?
@ VidOn.me-Wolly, "code" is software, not hardware. Reading all what you write I think you must be a reseller of marketing person, not a developer at all, you look to have no clue here.

(2014-12-05, 08:24)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: We designed the UI at 1080p, but due to the limitation of the chipset, it can only output at 720p, and in order to fill your whole screen, the 720p UI will be stretched to 1080p, the so called upscale. All apps will run at 720p including VidOn XBMC. That's the UI.
You're plain wrong here, as what you describe there is clearly not a chipset (hardware) limitation but a Android OS kernel or firmware image (both of which are software limitations, not hardware limitations). (As nghiadhd proved with his firmware image out, it is technically possible to hack around such software limitations like those if you are just skilled in both Android OS firmware/kernel development). Sad when none of your own 50+ developers can not even hack a few Fex (ini) files to get something as simple as this to work.

There is probably nothing wrong with the actual SoC-chipset or board-hardware in any case, instead what you are saying is that it is not be a software limitation in YOUR application software but a software limitation in the current stock Android OS kernel and firmware image from Allwinner which I guess you simply use without any modifications.

Hardware limitations means that they can't be fixed other than replacing the physical hardware, which is not the case here as all those issues could be solved in Android OS kernel or firmware image (again which is all software, not hardware). Thus if you just just had your own skilled Android OS kernel and firmware developers then they would surely be capable to either fix or at least workaround those issues without the help from Allwinner. Pivos is an example of a company that have developers that are skilled in both Android OS firmware/kernel development and application software development.

Regardless, all I hear is a bunch of excuses that Vidon do not have own developers that are skilled in Android OS firmware development, only developers working on your applications. For all Android OS firmware and kernel development you are fully dependent and under the mercy of Allwinner.

My tip to VidOn would be to hire some better Android OS firmware and kernel developers as well, that way you would not have to rely on Allwinner as much as it sounds you currently do.

(2014-12-05, 12:37)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote:
(2014-12-05, 12:05)RockerC Wrote: @VidOn.me-Wolly, seriously, VidOn needs to release all the source code for all public builds, not just the ones that you choose.

Please stay tuned Github, the code will be submitted from next week.
Please stop releasing builds of Alpha/Beta and test versions to the public then if you won't release the source code to those too, otherwise you are indeed in violation of the GPL for Kodi.

That is what I think all sponsors should do on pure principle and in the spirit of open source. Also, start working with upstream more, and actively submit patches to the official mainline version of Kodi as then you would not have many of these problems with updating to newer. How hard can that really be for a company with 50+ developers?

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Submit_a_patch

If not you then you have completely missed the point with open source should not even be using XBMC/Kodi. Here is some homework for you to read and show the management, product managers, and developers at VidOn:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Staying_cl...m_projects

(2014-12-05, 10:37)nickr Wrote: doesn't the android kernel get covered by gpl too?
Android (and Linux) kernels also goes under GPLv2, but not the rest of the "firmware image", as some of those parts goes under either open source licenses and other modules like device drivers are often close sourced. There are some great and less good articles about these misconceptions and wrong assumptions online, like example:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/debunking-f...en-source/
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/g...necessary/
http://www.eweek.com/blogs/first-read/is...ource.html

Allwinner and many other Chinese SoC and box manufacturers does however not give a sh*t about any open source licensees, whether it be GPL or Apache licensed, just as j1nx noted. Tough with it now soon being the year 2015 I feel there is no longer any excuses from them not to comply with licenses like GPL when targeting global markets when does so benefits everyone.
I said it before , i posted shots showing true 1920x1080 physical output

All you have to do is modify the kernel source or add.the display size on the kernel boot flags

Otg is missing so i cant do it mannually through fastboot

Allwinners source code is for 4.2 , your box is 4.4 , so custom rom cannot be created

Also wrote how to reproduce what i get
(2014-12-05, 05:57)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote:
(2014-12-05, 05:50)movie78 Wrote: When did you release Gotham and did you fixed the buffering issue?

Tomorrow, on Saturday, the first VidOn XBMC (Gotham) will be submitted for testing, and if it could pass all tests, we will release it. Of course this version will solve the 3D Blu-ray buffering issue.

And next, we will solve the A/V sync problem.
All problems will be solved one by one.

Is it going to be today or Saturday...

Without the fix,the device is useless to me.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3