• 32(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
Would it be possible to implement passthrough for FLAC audio on the Vidon Box?
(2014-12-26, 13:14)cmdr.adama Wrote: Would it be possible to implement passthrough for FLAC audio on the Vidon Box?
No, there is no way to passthrough FLAC, you can see the list in XBMC/Kodi,

Quote:Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver
DTS capable receiver
AAC capable receiver
Multichannel LPCM capable receiver
TrueHD capable receiver
DTS-HD capable receiver
There is no FLAC.
(2014-12-26, 13:35)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote:
(2014-12-26, 13:14)cmdr.adama Wrote: Would it be possible to implement passthrough for FLAC audio on the Vidon Box?
No, there is no way to passthrough FLAC, you can see the list in XBMC/Kodi,

Quote:Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver
DTS capable receiver
AAC capable receiver
Multichannel LPCM capable receiver
TrueHD capable receiver
DTS-HD capable receiver
There is no FLAC.
I think Multichannel LPCM capable receiver is the right one for FLAC. Isn't it possible that XBMC generates the Multichannel PCM data stream.
(2014-12-26, 18:49)cmdr.adama Wrote: I think Multichannel LPCM capable receiver is the right one for FLAC. Isn't it possible that XBMC generates the Multichannel PCM data stream.
Maybe Ned Scott can give us the answer.Smile
*shrug*

I don't have an audio receiver.
No progress on Vidon XBMC?
Would be great to see a Kodi v14 version soon.
I don't think that Vidon will solve the problems. They had already 3 devices which didn't ever reach an acceptable condition.
Well, I think you are incorrect.

VidOn are very active with their support.

Far better than a lot of other Android boxes that cost less than $100.
The problem I have is that this product was released with so many serious problems, and it is taking a long time to get sorted. They claim to have 50 developers working on it.
The apparent business model was to sell the hardware pretty much at cost, then charge for subscription to a few extra features, and new releases sooner than non-subbers.
I haven't seen anything yet in this units development that would inspire me to pay for a subscription. Hopefully they will prove me wrong at some point.
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
I have been looking for a stand alone box that supports 3d ISO playback in 3d from within XBMC I have acquired a number of them: Himedia Q5 4K, Vidon box, Zidoo X9, Open Hour Chameleon. I also have a Tronsmart R28 pro, Fire TV, and a MiniX 8-H plus and a Chromebox although with these latter four boxes I have never expected 3D ISO support. I have a Mele X2000 and an Eweat EW902 in the post to me.

The Vidon box is the only one of these that delivers 3D ISO playback in 3D from XBMC at this stage. The Himedia can do it from the native player, but not from XBMC. Open Hour Chameleon can almost do it from the native player on beta firmware, but has problems with HDMI audio and subtitles.

But if you aren't interested in 3D ISO, I don't think there is much to recommend the Vidon box over the others other than the very competitive price. Aside from the several bugs that still need addressing, one big disadvantage for the Vidon box is that it renders the UI in 720p, even though video is played back at 1080p where that resolution is present in the source file. This makes the UI in XBMC look significantly less sharp than others on a 1080p TV. If you don't need 3D ISO, I would not recommend the Vidon box over XBMC/Kodi on an Amazon Fire TV, and the cost is very similar.

In my view, none of these Android based boxes come close to an openelec Chromebox in terms of simplicity, stability and speed. Chromebox may cost a bit more and involves a little bit of a set up initially, but once running knocks the spots off the Android solutions.

One thing I will say about Vidon, however, is that at least someone is here in the forum (Wolly) trying to help users and feeding back to the developers. He is copping quite a lot of flack in the process, but seems to be well aware that the box is yet to fully deliver on the marketing claims made for it.
Quote:But if you aren't interested in 3D ISO, I don't think there is much to recommend the Vidon box over the others other than the very competitive price.
Absolutely. If you only need 2D, Chromebox is the way to go. Also for 3D, Mede8er X3D series remains best... high bitrate playback, no frame skips, proper 23.976, and left/right eye switching. Just no XBMC/Kodi and UI/jukebox is sluggish with large libraries.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Why a Chromebox? Has anyone tried any of these?
http://www.solid-run.com/products/cubox-...-computer/
I haven't tried one of those cu-box devices, nor have I seen reviews of them. But I note they are Android based, which makes me think a lot of the issues that have cropped up with other Android devices will be there.

So why Chromebox? With openelec 5 I would cite the following: 6 seconds from cold boot power on to XBMC interface, and not a single hiccup during playback of files over the network or when navigating a reasonably large library (1200plus files) so far. Bluetooth PS3 remote paired without issue. Iplayer add on runs without issue. Once installed I have spent zero time troubleshooting the device or installing new XBMC/SPMC builds. I can't say the same about the Android based devices.
Cu-box runs android or linux, and are supported by openelec. But yeah your comments are spot on.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3