• 33(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
So, how would a Cubox with OpenELEC compare with Chromebox with the same?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
I think xbmc/kodi is more polished on x86 than arm, but it is only an impression.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Okay, thanks. Back to VidOn... was watching 'Rise of the Guardians' 3D ISO (doesn't matter which title I'm sure) and noticed lip-synch issues as well as frame skips now & then. For VidOn to really be worth the membership after the 1-year trial, these issues will need to be ironed out. For now, for issue-free movie enjoyment, I just enjoy using M8R for anything 3D and Chromebox for everything else.
My Family Room Theater
Given the issues with all the Android based solutions for 3d, i have started thinking about whether a Win 8.1 based mini pc with an external player for 3d ISO might be worth a look. I have a Pipo X7 on order, and am watching the thread on here about the zotac BI320 box.

I keep looking at the Mede8er boxes but can't bring myself to give up XBMC/Lodi having done a lot of work to get the tagging how I want it.
I've been thinking the same... I had a Win7 system at one point with PowerDVD as my external player. Didn't have that set-top box feel, but I've been thinking of giving it another try, and using an air-mouse/keyboard combo (this) (as needed) with my Harmony remote.

I've actually forgotten how to set-up Win8 with PowerDVD or TMT to have Kodi play BD ISO's. Is there a recent, reliable guide?
My Family Room Theater
(2015-01-01, 01:00)hdmkv Wrote: I've been thinking the same... I had a Win7 system at one point with PowerDVD as my external player. Didn't have that set-top box feel, but I've been thinking of giving it another try, and using an air-mouse/keyboard combo (this) (as needed) with my Harmony remote.

I've actually forgotten how to set-up Win8 with PowerDVD or TMT to have Kodi play BD ISO's. Is there a recent, reliable guide?

Stay right where you are..

I came from Windows 8 and XBMC using TMT6 as an external player.

It is mess,too much tweaking and something the movie will not even start with external player..

Having the VidOn box and Chromebox feel better the Windows /XBMC + external player.

Just my 2 cents
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
For me a Windows 8.1 HTPC (Intel NUC) is very hard to beat. It's the only thing I've come across that can bitstream HD audio formats and play Netflix 5.1 audio. Everything else that I tried (Chromecast, Fire TV both box and stick, Nexus Player) misses one thing or another. I can't comment on 3D because I'm not into it and don't have a TV that supports it, so I don't know how well Windows does there, but I suspect that it being a powerful PC could play anything with the right software.
And I don't like Windows in general, you have to maintain it and babysit it, I prefer Linux or Android. I'd love to get rid of all the Windows machines from the house but unfortunately they still seem to be a necessary evil.
have any of you guys tried stereoscopic player?

I know it supports mkv mvc 3d
Movie78 - I didn't have the same bad experience setting up powerdvd as an external player for ISO files under Windows 7 and 8. The only thing I found a pain was the change in remote as you go from XBMC to another app. But following the instructions in the wiki, and the thread linked to there, I have had this working quite smoothly.

Haven't tried stereoscopic player.
(2015-01-01, 14:52)malcolmbarr Wrote: Movie78 - I didn't have the same bad experience setting up powerdvd as an external player for ISO files under Windows 7 and 8. The only thing I found a pain was the change in remote as you go from XBMC to another app. But following the instructions in the wiki, and the thread linked to there, I have had this working quite smoothly.

Haven't tried stereoscopic player.

Remote control was one my biggest issue with the external player.
I couldn't get PDVD 14 to work with remote ,TMT6 was the best one but Arcsoft stop update their product.

With TMT6 some movies will play some don't.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-01-01, 01:00)hdmkv Wrote: I've been thinking the same... I had a Win7 system at one point with PowerDVD as my external player. Didn't have that set-top box feel, but I've been thinking of giving it another try, and using an air-mouse/keyboard combo (this) (as needed) with my Harmony remote.

+1
I keep getting back to kodi for windows with external player but in real wishfull thinking i want to get out. To have one box for all instead of using external players.
However no other android box lives up to this.. But i dont want to move away from xbmc either...
On the other hand, theres still mede8er that does everything but then ill miss xbmc
So i really dont know what to do
For now still on xbmc but 3d movies are a pain in the ass.. Even playing it in 2d does 3d movies gives at some point problems... In xbmc.

So not sure what to do.

Xbmc should get mvc support lol but they depend on ffmpeg for that Sad which will never come
I can say , currently ... I'm not having issues with 3D movies at all with vidon box

I watched already a few 3D BD isos without problems , they still have some bugs to fix (some frames dropping , audio/video getting out of sync but get back to sync ) , and they are updating their github page , and looks like some mayor changes are being done on their code

I just have the feeling that they are using their users as beta testers , ( I think the time based license should start the moment they have a FINAL release and not like now that all the software is still beta)

vmc doesn't look like the published ( this is xbmc modded as android launcher ) , xbmc is still beta

but .... I saw all other android players have issues
Skank, you hit the nail on the head. For a set-top box feel, we're stuck with 2-3 boxes if we want it all (3D, hd audio and Kodi). But, Android has shown a lot of progress so far (hd audio and 3D), so maybe proper framerate, fluid playback, etc. aren't far behind. Not convinced VidOn will be that box as it isn't as fast and powerful as it needs to be, but maybe another box like it will surface this year.
My Family Room Theater
Frankly going to a semi OK android proprietary box just for 3d iso is not worth the angst of being an alpha tester. For the occasional 3d movie I may want to watch in 3d, TAB or SBS on a real PC is good enough.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-01-01, 18:43)hdmkv Wrote: Skank, you hit the nail on the head. For a set-top box feel, we're stuck with 2-3 boxes if we want it all (3D, hd audio and Kodi). But, Android has shown a lot of progress so far (hd audio and 3D), so maybe proper framerate, fluid playback, etc. aren't far behind. Not convinced VidOn will be that box as it isn't as fast and powerful as it needs to be, but maybe another box like it will surface this year.

Lets hope so
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3