• 36(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
(2015-01-06, 23:18)Roby77 Wrote: if they dont' respect gpl but they use the forum for free advertisement why mod doesn't close the 3ad ?

They've been getting better about these things. They've the released source code in the past, so now we're trying to steer them towards doing that faster and more often. If there is no improvement then something like that would happen and they would risk losing their sponsorship status.

I don't know what the exact requirements are for how long they can take to send someone the source code, so I'm not the best one to ask if there are any current GPL violations, but if think VidOnMe wants to do the right thing, and we want to help them improve rather than push them away. As long as things are improving.
Wolly

Is the fact that this box renders the UI at 720p likely to change in the near future? As I understand it that was something you thought you needed to work with Allwinner to address.

As I am sure you are aware, it makes the XBMC interface look decidely less sharp on a 1080p screen.
Right... also the movie/TV posters and video thumbs look poor (jaggy, distorted, not clear/sharp).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
and also airplay looks bad , and other android apps Tongue
Yes, that's the big problem, because this job only can be done by Allwinner, they need to modify the SDK, so I can't promise that they will update the SDK on the aspect of UI resolution.
The Kodi UI on the Vidon box is the worst i have ever seen,especially when you are using third party skin..
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Wolly - to the best of your knowledge are Allwinner working on making this change to the SDK, and if so is there a time frame for when this will be fixed?

If the answer to the above is no (ie. You don't know if they are working on it) do you have any leverage to get them to do so?

The 720p rendering of Kodi skins does not look good at all, and is by now pretty unusual compared to other Android based boxes.
Also other problems which are likely SDK related are not or can't be solved: stuttering of 29.97Hz movie playback, HDMI sync prevents HD audio passthrough or 3D playback and sometimes he box just don't work with certain receivers, passthrough of FLAC audio with high sampling rates.

Current status of the Vidon Box:
- Vidon box does not work at all with some receivers, e.g. Onkyo 608
- HD audio passthrough does not work with certain receivers
- 3D playback does not work with certain receivers/TVs/Beamers
- 2D BD menu playback does not work properly with most BDs
- Playback of BDs with 29.97 Hz is stuttering - it looks like a flipbook
- Time out of 4-5 s if a chapter jump is executed while streaming from NFS server
- Passthrough of FLAC audio with high sampling rates and/or multichannel playback does not work: downmix to 44.1Hz Stereo instead
- All installed apps can only use the 720p system resolution
Quote:- Vidon box does not work at all with some receivers, e.g. Onkyo 608
- 3D playback does not work with certain receivers/TVs/Beamers
- All installed apps can only use the 720p system resolution
These are the issue of SDK, the HDMI connection issue is on its way of to be fixed.

Quote:- 2D BD menu playback does not work properly with most BDs
We will continue to improve the performance of BD menu playback.

Quote:- Playback of BDs with 29.97 Hz is stuttering - it looks like a flipbook
Which version are you using?

Quote:- Time out of 4-5 s if a chapter jump is executed while streaming from NFS server
Will report it to the developers.

Quote:- Passthrough of FLAC audio with high sampling rates and/or multichannel playback does not work: downmix to 44.1Hz Stereo instead
44.1Hz is the limitation of Android OS, we cannot change it, but it seems XBMC cannot passthrough FLAC, correct me if I'm wrong.
I am using the latest versions of VMC and XBMC.
(2015-01-10, 09:40)malcolmbarr Wrote: Wolly - to the best of your knowledge are Allwinner working on making this change to the SDK, and if so is there a time frame for when this will be fixed?

If the answer to the above is no (ie. You don't know if they are working on it) do you have any leverage to get them to do so?

The 720p rendering of Kodi skins does not look good at all, and is by now pretty unusual compared to other Android based boxes.

Wolly - could you answer this question directly regarding the 720p UI please. If it is the case that this is not likely to be addressed soon, I would like to know.
(2015-01-10, 17:25)malcolmbarr Wrote: Wolly - could you answer this question directly regarding the 720p UI please. If it is the case that this is not likely to be addressed soon, I would like to know.

I will talk about this problem with our developers again, then I will be back to tell you whether the 720p UI will be upgraded to 1080p.

(2015-01-10, 13:31)cmdr.adama Wrote: I am using the latest versions of VMC and XBMC.

What kind of your 29.970Hz BDs are? Are they interlaced video? Could you switch the output to 1080i 60Hz if they are and try again?
(2015-01-11, 07:54)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: What kind of your 29.970Hz BDs are? Are they interlaced video? Could you switch the output to 1080i 60Hz if they are and try again?
The BDs are usually Music Concerts with 1080i59.94. But the stuttering also occurs with the Pendulum test which is available in a thread in yur vidon forum. This pendulum test uses 1080p29.97.Why you don't use it?

I tried to switch to 1080i60 with no succes. The automatic frequency switcher switches back to 1080pzp.
I just talked about the 720p UI issue with the developers, they said they will ask Allwinner if the UI resolution can be updated to 1080p.
However, we also worried about that if the rendering of 1080p UI would affect the performance of movie playback. So need time to look into this problem.
(2015-01-10, 10:56)cmdr.adama Wrote: Also other problems which are likely SDK related are not or can't be solved: stuttering of 29.97Hz movie playback, HDMI sync prevents HD audio passthrough or 3D playback and sometimes he box just don't work with certain receivers, passthrough of FLAC audio with high sampling rates.

Current status of the Vidon Box:
- Vidon box does not work at all with some receivers, e.g. Onkyo 608

What about Denon X2000??
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3