• 56(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
Right on all counts cmdr.adama...
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Big Grin
I cannot give you advises on what box is better, I mentioned Egreat A9 just because it has VidOn XBMC built-in and it also supports full BD menu which is the only reason why Movie78 still holds VidOn Box.

I mentioned other products doesn't mean that we are not going to update our software or not to solve our issues.
(2015-04-02, 18:41)hdmkv Wrote: Right on all counts cmdr.adama...

Promote that man to Admiral!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-02, 13:16)hdmkv Wrote:
(2015-04-02, 08:43)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: We will inform you (if you are interested in) once we have new product out.
Thanks. Always interested in new, especially better capable boxes. Seems the main issues with the present box are more hardware limiting factors? It's still a good box, especially at just $50 (GeekBuying), with caveats being 720p XBMC UI SDK 1.2 necessary for proper playback. Does 3D ISO and HD audio, both via XBMC, not an external player. It's better than Open Hour, Eweat, etc., and remains a cheaper alternative (with nicer UI) to HiMedia's Q5 4K.

I didn't receive my Box yet, the reason I wasn't posting, but it's a pity you are leaving this thread, I hope you keep posting on "Player Choices...."., and thanks for the contributions here

Anyway, back to this thread, I don't think it is a "naturally" bad practice from VidOn to advertise other device here (and I just bought 1 Box), comparing prices they seems to be in different segments, I would not probably purchase a ~$180 device from them at first try.

What is still not clear for me is this business model of earning profits with licenses but selling hardware with some non-solved (or worse some that will not be solved) bugs, if VidOn "solution" is targeted to software, customers deserve special conditions when purchasing 2nd or new devices from them. If they move again from buggy hardware to other, without real compensation for current customers they will kill this "solution" model (that at the beginning I really find interesting as a market differential from thousands of other cheap boxes without any upgrade support) they are trying to sell.
If player improves, I'll update post #1 for you guys based on your reports. I'll also keep the 3D player choices thread alive.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I bought. mine from Aliexpress and have been using the box for 3 weeks. It has given me what has been promised, i'm a happy user.I like the interface and remote. I find it incredible for 50 usd. I also have an openelec on another tv, no difference.
For the good order I dont use 3d.
It seams that the Box fits your needs because you don't require HD-Audio Passtheough and you never play 25Hz/29.97Hz interlaced video and you don't need 3D. Imagine you want to sell this Box on Ebay. How would you describe it?

HD Audio might work if your AVR is compatible
3D might work if your AVR is compatible
The Box blocks HDMI CEC function of all other devices
25Hz/29.97Hz especially interlaced movies are played like strobo light effect which means an impressive stuttering
BD menu playback is far away of that what a BD player does

You could buy an used old Tizzbird F20 for less than half of the price. WelI it desn't support 3D. But it can do HD audio passthrough without compatibility restrictios, plays 25Hz/29.97Hz movies without any stuttering. This is a single core machine with Android 2.6!
Hey cmdr, here is my answer:
(2015-04-08, 16:19)cmdr.adama Wrote: [*]HD Audio might work if your AVR is compatible
[*]3D might work if your AVR is compatible
[*]Video and audio might completely not work if certain AVR is in the chain, e.g. Onkyo 608
You'd better make sure other Android boxes which also support HD audio passthrough can compatible all receivers. Some receiver makers just didn't add Allwinner into their whitelists.

Besides what I said above, most 3D issues are caused by your setup, your HDMI Cable or your wrong operation.
(2015-04-08, 16:19)cmdr.adama Wrote: [*]25Hz/29.97Hz especially interlaced movies are played like strobo light effect which means an impressive stuttering
I have watched some 25Hz and 29.970Hz videos on the VidOn Box, what I found is only a little stuck every few minutes, most time the movie plays very smooth. Of course you can take a video to show us and provide the video.
(2015-04-08, 16:19)cmdr.adama Wrote: [*]BD menu playback is far away of that what a BD player does
I don't know what does "far away" mean? Do you mean the menu on VidOn Box is not the one you see on your Blu-ray player?
(2015-04-08, 16:19)cmdr.adama Wrote: [*]The Box blocks HDMI CEC function of all other devices
We never said this Box support CEC, and I think SMD's post has explained it very clearly.

(2015-04-08, 16:19)cmdr.adama Wrote: My Vidon Box is standing around. I don't use it because it is not reliable.
We have released so many versions in the past 6 months, and each version fixed many issues, if you just put it in the corner and never try to use it, of course you will think it's not reliable.
@VidOn.me-Wolly:

Could you check your forum server? It redirects to various adware websites (thank you, my penis is large enough) on my tablet. Right now, it redirects to "url4short dot info".
(2015-04-09, 11:38)membrane Wrote: @VidOn.me-Wolly:

Could you check your forum server? It redirects to various adware websites (thank you, my penis is large enough) on my tablet. Right now, it redirects to "url4short dot info".

Have reported it to the engineer, we don't know why the link from google engine will be redirected to a malware address.
We are trying to fix that.
@Wolly,
my box is up to date. It is standing around because you made progress in the listed problems. It is a wast of time to discuss this any longer. You just try to put a better impression on the device to increase sales figures. And for sure all problems don't depend on your inability to solve them. All reasons belong to the user or the receiver companies or someone which is not yet known. It is a wast of time to discuss it with you any longer. Do you know the 3 monkeys which don't wan't to see, to hear and to say something?
On the off chance that people following this thread haven't noticed the other thread: we've caught multiple VidOnMe accounts being used to sockpuppet/meatpuppet/shill VidOnMe products on the Kodi forums: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223838

We're awaiting a (pretty damn good) explanation from the company now.
(2015-04-11, 01:38)Ned Scott Wrote: On the off chance that people following this thread haven't noticed the other thread: we've caught multiple VidOnMe accounts being used to sockpuppet/meatpuppet/shill VidOnMe products on the Kodi forums: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223838

We're awaiting a (pretty damn good) explanation from the company now.

Since this whole thing has been basically an open letter to all posters, will the response from Vidon be also an open letter to all posters. Curious why you would want to continue a sponsorship with a company like Vidon.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
(2015-04-11, 06:31)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote:
(2015-04-11, 01:36)Ned Scott Wrote: To keep everyone updated, we are currently awaiting an explanation from VidOnMe. So far it has been silence. This does not look well for them and any future relations we have with them.
I have replied the email to Nathan and cc'ed contact@kodi.tv yesterday.
Sorry for all of these things.
@VidOn.Me, any reason why you would not be willing to also post those explanations in public to the community here?

And also in the other split VidOn thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223838

Similar to nickr, my beef is otherwise really only about VidOn (and Allwinner) still not respecting the GPL/LGPL licenses.
  • 56(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3