WIP Chrome extension that tries to fix Netflix
Hi scsii,
In last couple of days I've been looking for Netflix "options" for my HTPC, and came across your extension.
I think the design is wonderful, it's exactly the layout that complements the HTPC experience. Really good work, Kudos!

After i didn't found any repo (github or other) of your code, i took a look inside the code of the extension. It seems as you are tying to replace the whole netflix site with your own design.
It could have been great, but a service like Netflix is constantly changing, from front to back, and while you rely heavily on a specific HTML structre, and URLs schema... well, you figured it out already, It's a bloody-broken mess Smile
You could have been using an API, which would make thing a LOT easier, but as we know Netflix closed their Public API, so we are left with parsing and scraping.

Now, i suggest that take a look at another extension that approached the same issue: Netflix Navigator - Chrome Store and Github links.
It maybe isn't as sleek in it's UI and design as your solution, and i think it can be much approved in it's code design, but it's much more steady because it didn't tried to replace Netflix UI, only to add a layer of controlling it. It relies on simulating the mouse movements, so as far as Netflix's website knows - you are still using it the usual way it intended to be.

Maybe a combination of those two ideas - first to overlay the original UI with keys and simulating and with as little scraping and DOM manipulation as possible, and then to try to manipulate some DOM into better design - could work perfectly.
It has a few large benefits:
1. no more broken URLs - you don't need to care about what Netflix does when you choose a movie - let Netflix do it for you!
2. Your DOM manipulation is focusing on shifting elements and re-designing their looks, and not trying to re-create them. (i.e., you don't need to 'understand' how the Netflix search is working, you just re-position and re-design it!)
3. the interactions and looks of the extension are separated. In 90% of the cases, a Netflix's change won't break the behavior of the app, only it's looks.
4. When a change is breaking stuff up, you can focus on small piece of your app and not in need to overview and test your entire code.

Now, if you want to add more people around this development, i suggest you upload your extension to Github, give access to the code. I would happily join you in trying to make it work.

If you are not interested in continuing and developing it from any reason, it will be very appreciated if you publish it still to Github, license it under some free-to-use copyrights so other people can benefit from your code.

Have a great day,
Shebo.
Hi Shebo,

Thanks for your post.

As you probably know, there is really no way around querying the DOM for specific classes in order to even figure out how many movies are displayed in a list (or even, to find the list itself). Even the simplest solution will have to rely on html ctructure and class names, and can break any time Netflix makes changes. Most often, I guess, those changes will be minor and easy to handle, but the extension must still be modified and updated.

My idea with this extension was to make the transition between XBMC and Netflix less jarring. It is not just about navigation, but the overview as well. I think that the horizontal lists that Netflix uses are just horrible, as well as the entire interface of the page, and a big part of the goal was to improve on that. I wanted proper dialogs etc, and that is impossible without scraping for URL parts and using them in totally custom elements injected into the page.

As I see it, for pure keyboard/remote navigation, some sort of mouse emulator would be a better, and a more future proof solution.

I really thought of uploading it to Github, but as part of this project was also learning how to write Chrome extensions and improving my jQuery skills, the code is quite horrible (as you could see yourself) so I really don't think anyone can just pick off where I started. I'm still interested in this project and have started a "version 2" from scratch, trying to emulate the the Netflix interface of the new-ish Nexus player, which I think looks gorgeous. I've learned alot from this project and I think the second try will be alot more Github ready.

Yes, the extension will still need to be updated whenever Netflix makes some changes, but then there will hopefully be more people willing to do it Smile

A great day to you too Smile
/Daniel
I'm wondering if there's a frozen device API or something that can be used instead.

My Panasonic TV is 28 months old at this point and the built-in player still works fine. The UI hasn't changed since I bought it and I haven't received an update for it over a year.

Will try to MITM the traffic to netflix and see if I can find anything usable.
Dude. Screenshots look awesome. I'm gonna try this out tonight. Need Netflix to work properly if my HTPC is to be accepted by the GF so you may just be my saviour. What a guy. Thanks for giving this a shot and please keep going!

EDIT: Have got it set up and going. Yep, search would be a great addition and if there could be some sort of highlighting of the user menu when logging on (we have two profiles in our house) to show which user is selected before selecting that would be awesome. For now it'll be enough to know the first user on the left is already selected by default so pressing either enter or left-enter will get us where we want. Other than these tweaks you've completely solved all of my problems. Thanks so much mate. Legendary work. I'll be crossing my fingers for even more genius enhancements from you in future!
First of all kudos scsii ! This absolutely deserves more attention. Working like a charm on my win7 machine. I love the design, even better than the original Smile
One question though, would it be possible to browse episodes on TV show level insteed of directly playback the episode?

Keep it up !!
since there was a redesign, is there any chance you can get the extension working with the new Netflix?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chrome extension that tries to fix Netflix4