WIP Chrome extension that tries to fix Netflix
Note:
Please see update information at the bottom of this post.

Hi guys,

As you know, there is really no good integration for Netflix in xbmc (nor for any other htpc software either, really), and the main issue for me is that I cannot navigate the browser-version of Netflix with my wmc-remote, as I do with xbmc.
So I started writing a plugin for Chrome that basically totally redesigns Netflix and adds easy keyboard navigation (and through that, remote support!).

It is still early in development and I'm not sure how far I will take this, as I'm primarily making it to suit my own needs, but if there is any interest, I'll think of expanding it, perhaps turning it into something really worth having on ones htpc.

How to try:
Just install the extension from the Chrome Store and go to netflix.com.
(Tip: Press F11 while in Chrome to enter full screen mode)

What is missing:
The most important stuff missing for now is search.
Also, since the player itself supports basic keyboard navigation (fast forward, paus, play etc), I haven't done anything with it yet, but I have plans to simplify it.

Let me know how if you get any problems, or have any suggestions regarding functions, design etc.
It should look like in the screenshots above. If it doesn't, then something is not right Smile

Thanks!
/Daniel

Update: 01 november
I've updated the plugin now, I'm not sure if Chrome automatically checks for updates or not. Did anyone get a prompt to update?

Anyhow, what's new is this:
  • Navigation bug (where some users got diagonal navigation) is hopefully fixed.
  • Other navigation improvements.
  • You can now add and remove movies from your Watch List.
  • Profile switching (when you first start Netflix)
  • "New Releases" section available from the menu.
I am really surprised by the lack of interest in this. Even at this early stage it is VERY usable.
I'm disappointed by the lack of interest , since I'd like to keep working on it, but don't want to spend time on something that wont end up being used.
When I searched of ways to integrate Netflix with xbmc and other home theater software, I discovered alot of disappointment from the users that the only way to browse Netflix on the PC really is it's lacking (from a keyboard/remote point of view) web interface.

Anyhow, since the profile and watchlist is almost ready, I'll release a new version with those improvements and perhaps look into other forums to generate a bit more interest.

Perhaps Lifehacker would be interested to write a post for it, since they did it a few of those about related xbmc addons and remote support för htpc's in general.
Thanks scsii, it´s work very well here in Brazil, good job.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
(2014-10-25, 20:11)scsii Wrote: Hi guys,

As you know, there is really no good integration for Netflix in xbmc (nor for any other htpc software either, really), and the main issue for me is that I cannot navigate the browser-version of Netflix with my wmc-remote, as I do with xbmc.
So I started writing a plugin for Chrome that basically totally redesigns Netflix and adds easy keyboard navigation (and through that, remote support!).

It is still early in development and I'm not sure how far I will take this, as I'm primarily making it to suit my own needs, but if there is any interest, I'll think of expanding it, perhaps turning it into something really worth having on ones htpc.

Right now, you can navigate the startpage, browsing suggestions, genres, etc. Use the arrow keys to navigate and press the i letter key to display movie info. When a movie to the far left is selected, press the left arrow key to bring up the menu.

Like is said, this is far from ready, but it might be worth to try out. I'm swedish and have a swedish Netflix accound so it's possible that it wont even work with US accounts tho. But please try and let me know.

How to try:
Just install the extension from the Chrome Store and go to netflix.com.
(Tip: Press F11 while in Chrome to enter full screen mode)

What is missing:
Important stuff missing for now is search, and the ability to add movies to your watch list (however, you can view and play movies from your list).
Also, since the player itself supports basic keyboard navigation (fast forward, paus, play etc), I haven't done anything with it yet, but I have plans to simplify it.

Please give it a go and let me know what you think. It should look like in the screenshots above. If it doesn't, then something is not right Smile

Thanks!
/Daniel

Phenomenal! This looks beautiful and can't wait to test once I get home! The netflix integration was nice with netflixbmc and chrome launcher, but I preferred the visuals the website gives vs xbmc menus. Then my issue was with watching shows you get nagged every 3rd episode and forced to click continue to watch. I switched over to the Windows metro app of Netflix because it asks every 10 episodes instead of the 3 with chrome. Do you know or could you incorporate a way to auto click that? I have a program called neatmouse that allows me to toggle mouse control via arrow keys which I use on my remote and I can click the popup, but if you had a way to get around that I would use your beautiful release in a heartbeat!
Ok, this is great! I'm assuming you have a special resolution of some sort as the navigating the rows is a tad bit weird for me. I know I know, alpha stages Tongue I absolutely love going left or right and getting the extra menus. I noticed some differences between running it on my htpc and my desktop, I'll take some pics in the morning and post. I'm HIGHLY impressed with this and hope that you continue on. This has great potential!

*EDIT*
Hitting info button and having the info right there is AWESOME! My wife has really been getting annoyed because I keep messing with the netflix portion trying to perfect it and she says she likes the looks of this more than anything else so far. If the menu nav issue is fixed this would be perfect for her and any of my guests!
Fail$tyle420, thanks for the encouraging words! Smile

I've been busy with work and haven't had alot of time to spend of this, but improvements are coming, alot of stuff is already done.
Most hopefully, the navigation has been fixed.

Regarding the "continue to watch" nag, I will have a look at that as soon as i get to the player part of this. My thought is to get the basics of navigating through the movie library done, and after that, move on to making the player keyboard/remote friendly.
Potential is awesome. Thanks for working on this.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Honestly the continue to watch nag is a problem but I can live with it since I can control my mouse with the remote (Although if you can get rid of it, that would be awesome!), but my main issue is the navigation. I didn't have time to post screen shots of the different looking menus this morning, but when I get home tonight I'll def up those.
I mentioned this in the AVS thread a few days ago but will follow up here. I mentioned when you arrow left to the main menu some of the items will not be formatted correctly for this add-on to work. Any of these items in bold white do not format correctly:

When one of them is selected (New Arrivals in this case) it looks like this and keyboard navigation does not work:

Again, not nitpicking but you said you didn't see this behavior so thought I'd share.
(2014-10-31, 00:46)3rob3 Wrote: I mentioned this in the AVS thread a few days ago but will follow up here. I mentioned when you arrow left to the main menu some of the items will not be formatted correctly for this add-on to work. Any of these items in bold white do not format correctly:

When one of them is selected (New Arrivals in this case) it looks like this and keyboard navigation does not work:

Again, not nitpicking but you said you didn't see this behavior so thought I'd share.

I just attempted to enter all of the menus and once inside I didn't have any issues navigating, I'm not seeing your issue either Sad

*EDIT* In fact, once inside the categories navigation works just like it should for me, unlike the home screen navigation that is screwey
Are you in the US?

Yes, once inside the menus you don' get diagonal scrolling anymore. He has mentioned he has that fixed already.
(2014-10-31, 00:46)3rob3 Wrote: I mentioned this in the AVS thread a few days ago but will follow up here. I mentioned when you arrow left to the main menu some of the items will not be formatted correctly for this add-on to work. Any of these items in bold white do not format correctly:

http://i.imgur.com/h3bo19D.png

http://i.imgur.com/m9MbxnL.png

Thanks for posting the screenshot!
It seems that it screws something up when creating the the genre list i my menu. Those bold items you see shouldn't be there, you should only see "Home" and the genres.

I'll have a look at this. Must be the fact that you are getting some regional content on the page that I'm not seeing.
(2014-10-31, 15:11)3rob3 Wrote: Are you in the US?

Yes, once inside the menus you don' get diagonal scrolling anymore. He has mentioned he has that fixed already.

Yeah, in the states. He said he fixed navigation, but when I tried the home menu it was not fixed. Just updating what I experienced.
The add on hasn't been updated yet with the fix. Weird that we are both in the US and have different menu options.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chrome extension that tries to fix Netflix4