'XBMC Foundation' removing Ebay listings.
(2014-11-03, 12:09)Martijn Wrote: What reply?
the one about kodi.de? Seriously that has been mentioned and answered so many times that you simply cannot give a normal answer to it any more. It's al mentioned multiple times on the forum, the blog and in the FAQ.
When he says he's a lawyer i would have expected that due to this he would know that there are differences in what area you do/have a trademark. My mistake for assuming he knew this (not intended to be patronising). Sorry about that

I AM actually a lawyer specializing in IP and IT, but I did not feel it my place to explain trademark law to you. Ned was spot on with the nice classes, of course, but that is not all. Trademark law is about similarities and the closer you come thematically or even just graphically to another trade mark, the more dangerous it gets. Also, a brand doesn't have to be registered to compete if it is well known. Apple is now so well known that they just take down everything left and right, last I heard they sued a café that used a 3D-Apple as logo. Successfully.

Anyway, I was just miffed about the offhand way this ebay problem was handled here - even though you may technically be right. I also do not read the forums every day, so I didn't even catch your reply to my hint as sarcastic. As I said, suddenly I got a notification from kodi.tv which I had never subscribed to. Also, tapatalk suddenly refused to connect to the XBMC forums. If you had wanted a smooth transition, you would have sent a mass email to all XBMC forums users, giving them a choice to migrate with you, instead of expecting people to read blogs or whatever and leave them to discover stuff on their own.

Anyway, sorry for pulling this thread off topic, it was the first topic I saw that was roughly on the spot, since I found no sticky with info, at least none that I could reply to.
(2014-11-03, 23:20)HeresJohnny Wrote: If you had wanted a smooth transition, you would have sent a mass email to all XBMC forums users, giving them a choice to migrate with you, instead of expecting people to read blogs or whatever and leave them to discover stuff on their own.

We've never sent out a mass email before. I can't imagine that we'd start now. We're already being called sellout on a fairly regular basis for everything under the sun. If we started sending out mailers, that'd be pretty much the end of it for us.
Ned,
You deserve some kind of Nobel prize. Finding the stamina to write over and over again after reading the same thing every-single-fracking-day-every-single-fracking-hour must be shittastic! I read 4 pages of bitching and I must tell you: I owe you (at least) 20 beers.
Next time you're in Europe, PM me. My treat!

Nate, I can only imagine what would happen if you guys had used that massive mail DB to inform users... the lawyers in this thread would have eaten you all, alive... or dead.
Yeah... that would work...
Nah, I'm just selectively nice. When someone hits one of my pet peeves, then I turn into the hulk and smash things :)
(2014-11-03, 12:09)Martijn Wrote:
(2014-11-03, 11:58)Piers Wrote: A valid question, turned into yet another debate about piracy with a patronising reply from Martijn? The XBMC forum hasn't changed.
.... This is not a discussion about piracy or whatever. This is simply about our policy and not the contents of it.
You don't follow the follow the policy, don't use the name XBMC / KODI

It turned into a discussion about piracy. I would also like to add that I've never broken the policy on here about piracy... I was talking about your first reply in this this thread (which you may have since edited).

(2014-11-04, 03:18)h.udo Wrote: Ned,
... I owe you (at least) 20 beers.
Next time you're in Europe, PM me. My treat!

Why not donate?
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
A point not mentioned in here is at least for me also a personal one. I donate time and passion to the project and I don't want "my work" to be associated with piracy.
Why are the Foundation the "bad guys" in this? Why do people get so up in arms over something like this? If you use your XBMC/Kodi to pirate material, fine, good for you, but just because the plugins are easily available doesn't make it legal.

Fact of the matter is those selling these boxes on the online marketplace are not only breaking the policies of those marketplaces by selling pirated material, but I'm pretty sure they are also breaking the law, as this may count as distribution of pirated material (correct me if I'm wrong?). Why do the Foundation want their name connected to piracy?

In the case of the original poster, I agree that his box shouldn't have been taken down if it doesn't mention any piracy plugins, but this thread should not exist. He should have emailed the Foundation on the email provided in the email he received. Those were the instructions. I can only assume he made this public to try and paint the guys here in a bad light, other wise this would have stayed behind closed doors.
(2014-11-04, 11:54)RayW1986 Wrote: Why are the Foundation the "bad guys" in this? Why do people get so up in arms over something like this? If you use your XBMC/Kodi to pirate material, fine, good for you, but just because the plugins are easily available doesn't make it legal.

Fact of the matter is those selling these boxes on the online marketplace are not only breaking the policies of those marketplaces by selling pirated material, but I'm pretty sure they are also breaking the law, as this may count as distribution of pirated material (correct me if I'm wrong?). Why do the Foundation want their name connected to piracy?

In the case of the original poster, I agree that his box shouldn't have been taken down if it doesn't mention any piracy plugins, but this thread should not exist. He should have emailed the Foundation on the email provided in the email he received. Those were the instructions. I can only assume he made this public to try and paint the guys here in a bad light, other wise this would have stayed behind closed doors.

I've only seen one user in this thread go on about piracy, those posts may have been removed now, in which case my original post is no longer valid.

I think this matter has been resolved, surely time for a thread lock?
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-11-04, 11:54)RayW1986 Wrote: . I can only assume he made this public to try and paint the guys here in a bad light, other wise this would have stayed behind closed doors.

Well it was made even more public with this news article (sorry for the cross post)

http://torrentfreak.com/xbmckodi-targets...rs-141101/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'XBMC Foundation' removing Ebay listings.0