• 1(current)
New HiMedia Q5
Hi all,

anyone have tried this new box http://www.himediatech.com/q5iv.html and can share impressions?

During my search for TV box I've found some good opinions about HiMedia boxes, is that true? Is it really worth to buy HiMedia box (seems they support DolbyTHD/DTS-MA pass through).

Thanks and best regards,
finger.
It's interesting that they claim that XBMC works well on it with full hardware video decoding support, considering users of other HiMedia products seem to have a problem getting XBMC to work. Maybe things have changed, and it's a great box, but I'd wait for someone to post their first hand experience with the box.
Looks like their Q5 II is the newer version. So many variations and boxes. Also, not seeing specs, just marketing type write-ups.

My review posted here for those interested (last updated 6/2/2015). Thanks.

For the latest on Q5 and other Kodi 3D players, please see this thread instead, which is continually updated. Thanks.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
It seems they abandoned continous numbering and latest one is Q5 (4k) http://www.himediatech.com/q5iv.html , but you're right they do not provide specs on their website.

I guess I'll wait for others impressions and experience.
Basic
RAM:2GB
Flash:8GB
CPU: Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9,Quad-core GPU Mail-450MP6,6+2 cores 600MHz
Supported Format:FAT32/NTFS/EXT3

I/O
Video :HDMI,CVBS
Audio:Stereos,SPDIF,SPDIF Coax
Enthernet:10/100/1000M
Hard drive interface:external SATA,SD/MMC 2 in 1
USB interface:USB2.0X2,USB3.0X1

Others
Power input:100-240V(50Hz/60Hz)
Power output:12V 2A
Size:170mm*155mm*24.5mm

Spec
Output resolution:4K(3840X2160)/1080p/1080i/720p/576p/480p/PAL/NTSC
Video codec:H.265(4K@30fps)、H.264(4K@30fps)、MPEG1/2/4 up to 4K@30fps;VC-1、WMV、real7/8/9 up to 4K@30fps;
Audio format:MP3、WMA、APE、Flac、AAC、Ogg、WAV
Video format:RM、FLV、MOV、AVI、MKV、TS、MP4、ISO, support 3D MVC video output
Audio codec:AAC,MP3,LPCM,DTS,DOBY DIGTAL(AC3),DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS
Picture format:HD JPEG,BMP,GIF,PNG,TIFF
subtitles:pgs,srt,smi,sub,ssa,ass,sub+.idx
Multi-language menu:Multi-language,Chinese Simple,Chinese Tradition,English
Wireless Network:Build in WiFi,support 2.4GHz 802.11a/b/g/n
Other:Support DTS、AC3、7.1 passthrough
Support 2D、3D games、3D Blu-ray
Support Google browser、HTML5
Thanks Wolly,
can you share the source or you already have one?
Just translated it from their Chinese website.
http://www.himedia.cn/a/product/fashaoqi.../1240.html
Thanks Wolly!
I have one of these boxes and can offer some impressions. The main reason I got this is not for digital audio pass through, but because of the advertised 3D iso support plus xbmc. I can't comment on the digital audio pass through I'm afraid, other than to say it appeared to work when I asked it to pass 5.1 digital audio to my TV.

As Android TV boxes go, I find this one reasonably snappy. The box does not have a standard Android looking interface but something a bit more remote friendly - you can see some pics here:
http://www.iboum.com/wordpress/?p=25

The native media centre app on the box does not offer any form of library type ability for files stored on the network but played everything I threw it at it flawlessly. I don't have any 4K stuff, but it played Blu-Ray 3D isos perfectly. 24hz output is available too if you set the option.

The version 1.06 firmware comes with XBMC based on 13.1. This works fine except with all my 3D isos the playback stutters from the moment it starts and is unwatchable. I also could not get any 24hz playback from the bundled XBMC. I am hopeful the 3D iso playback from within XBMC will be fixed - should be possible using the external player which works really well. All my 3D rips are using AnydvdHD with generic options, but all stutter when played from XBMC (even from a local esata disk as opposed to nfs). The supplier of the box (www.futeko.com) has tested 3D from within XBMC and found it working, so not sure what is going on here.
Some good news regarding stuttering 3D ISO playback from XBMC/Kodi.Himedia have provided a little app which changes the player core file for any XBMC/Kodi install on the box, and fixes the stuttering.

Instructions can be found at http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=40.0

I tested this with the official Kodi 14 release for ARM. The apk sets Kodi to use the external player for playback of all files, and drops you back to Kodi when playback stops. The stuttering problem has gone on 3D playback, which works fine when you select play main movie for the ISO file.

As always, there are a few bugs outstanding
1. The fix does not work for files accessed via NFS - networked files via SMB only. I have been told a fix for NFS is not planned. Come on Himedia!
2. I cannot find how to set a default of no subtitles for the external/native player, and turning them off each time playback starts is a pain.
3. I think during 3D playback, which is generally smooth, a frame is being repeated roughly every 40 seconds where there is a small hesitation in the playback.

Scrolling around in the native player works fine and it feel quite stable in my testing us far.

Definitely progress made here. If 3D ISO matters to you and you can live with Kodi triggering an external player, this box is now a contender.
(2015-01-17, 16:06)malcolmbarr Wrote: Some good news regarding stuttering 3D ISO playback from XBMC/Kodi.Himedia have provided a little app which changes the player core file for any XBMC/Kodi install on the box, and fixes the stuttering.

Instructions can be found at http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=40.0

I tested this with the official Kodi 14 release for ARM. The apk sets Kodi to use the external player for playback of all files, and drops you back to Kodi when playback stops. The stuttering problem has gone on 3D playback, which works fine when you select play main movie for the ISO file.

As always, there are a few bugs outstanding
1. The fix does not work for files accessed via NFS - networked files via SMB only. I have been told a fix for NFS is not planned. Come on Himedia!
2. I cannot find how to set a default of no subtitles for the external/native player, and turning them off each time playback starts is a pain.
3. I think during 3D playback, which is generally smooth, a frame is being repeated roughly every 40 seconds where there is a small hesitation in the playback.

Scrolling around in the native player works fine and it feel quite stable in my testing us far.

Definitely progress made here. If 3D ISO matters to you and you can live with Kodi triggering an external player, this box is now a contender.

It seems that the box doesn't support 23,976 if a frame is repeated every 40 seconds? Can you confirm this?
(2015-02-11, 19:00)Caramba69 Wrote: It seems that the box doesn't support 23,976 if a frame is repeated every 40 seconds? Can you confirm this?
yes and no...
official on data sheet there isn't write supported for 23,976, but i try himediaplayer app with a lot of motion bars video test without any shutter or drop frame.
I have play many BR, iso, full 3D and MKV without problem.

it's nice player KODI + external player himediaplayer:
- support FULL 3D
- h265
- very nice Image and Display Processing (Imprex Processing Engine) with live setting !
- Audio HD passthrougth( DTS-HD, Dolby Atmos ) or deconding

at the moment there is only this defect :
- internal DVDplayer kodi player : autoswitch fps not work, audio HD not work.
- not support 29,97 fps
- xbmc + ext player not support share network with password

and remote control don't have stop button .... why do this...

it's the only player i have try that is a android 80% multimedia box 20% smart box, optimization with same SOC company -> hardware company -> software company is evidence ( HiSilicon and Himedia are huawei company ).
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
I bought the box now and are really impressed how fast the box is and how reliable it plays all kind of videos and 3D isos. This is the best box I have had till today!
But I'm not sure regarding the fps playback. If I set the settings in Android to 1080p50 XBMC still shows in the UI 60hz. So when I play a 50fps "tv epsiode" it looks ok. I'm also not sure if it really plays 23,976 or 24 hz only.

How can we test this?
So this box does 3d iso (mvc) from within kodi and hd-audio flawless?
Caramba69, do you also have the VidOn box? How does Q5 4K compare?

(2015-02-19, 17:47)Skank Wrote: So this box does 3d iso (mvc) from within kodi and hd-audio flawless?
Looking at the Futeko forum, it appears HiMedia provides a wrapper with their firmware that forces Kodi to use the Realtek player (vs. Kodi's internal) to achieve 3D ISO and HD audio playback. Question is, like you said, how well?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HiMedia Q53