Release feedreader screensaver
I have released feedreader. A screensaver which shows text and images from upto 7 rss feeds.

You can use it to show you the current news, keep up with blogs, or even forum comments.

https://github.com/grinsted/script.scree...feedreader

If you encounter any bugs or have any suggestions then please let me know. Please use the github interface to report issues if you have an account there.
Two screenshots.

Nice. Thanks a lot.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Awesome, thank you. Great Concept.

Would be great if you could just load an opml file for this rather than entering in each feed.
Awesome. An informative screen saver.

I'm getting this error message near the bottom of the screen:

dn Err:[' File "/storage/emulated/blablabla…/script.screensaver.feedreader/screensaver.py", line 77, in displayNext\n self.curitem + 1) % len (self.entries);\n']

Otherwise it seems to work nicely.

---
Xiaomi MiBOX 3
Great work!
I am getting same error as JB Cheong,though.
I just want to say I love this plugin. I use it for my kitchen station and it makes it feel like I am living in a Sci Fi or a convention center. The only bug I have found is feed slot 7 doesn't work for me at all.

The hard part is finding RSS feeds that put out high quality images. Too many of the RSS feeds I find, including many of the defaults, only push out thumbnails pics which look terrible at 1080p. But through trial and error I have found a full set that work well because they all give a lot of content along with high quality pictures.

I kept the NASA one that is one of the defaults. It is maybe the best feed for this period. I have added Science 360:

http://news.science360.gov/syndication/

I combine that with The Verge's RSS:

http://www.theverge.com/tag/rss

Plus I add in Simply Recipes because it is a kitchen:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/syndication/

All have good content and pictures. For the last two slots I wanted news and maybe sports news, but EVERY major news feed either gives you the article text and no/crappy pictures or they give you a great picture with a one sentence summary. I finally found a random TV News station that puts out a clean (aka not branded) news and sports feed with full articles and great pictures:

http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/RssFeeds.html

All together it makes for a REALLY cool usage of Kodi. Thanks!

(2015-01-07, 22:16)elmortero Wrote: Great work!

After messing with it for a while that error only shows up when you have an incompatible RSS feed in the lineup.

(2015-01-29, 00:35)poofyhairguy Wrote:
(2015-01-07, 22:16)elmortero Wrote: Great work!

After messing with it for a while that error only shows up when you have an incompatible RSS feed in the lineup.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll feed it with compatible RSS feeds for now. it's hard to accept CNN.com's RSS (shown in pic) is incompatible. lol.
(2015-01-29, 02:49)JB Cheong Wrote: I'll feed it with compatible RSS feeds for now. it's hard to accept CNN.com's RSS (shown in pic) is incompatible. lol.

It is VERY picky about the URL. I had CNN's working for a while, I don't remember what I did, but I do know some are a pain. Honestly CNN's feed has bad pictures and bad content. The best major outlet RSS feed I could find was ABC News. Lighter on content, but GREAT pictures.

im using yahoo pipes to combine feeds, seems to be working well for the most part, however, the timestamp on the bottom right corner always shows 6 hours ahead of when the headline is posted, how do i fix that?
Just installed this. Is there a way to control speed of text scroll?
I find it today and loving it. But I have a question, what it do with all the rss data and pics? Do it store them or delete right after showing them.
Thumbs Up 
Excellent work!

Can one of the Senior guys work on the UI ?
This is a great addon and in my view should be in the basis of Kodi but will definitely need a makeover to look Sexy.
Would loved to have weather and maybe map (if given) then it would revive the old Nintendo Wii Screensaver (News)
Wink 
First, let me thank you for this lovely addon! It's so far my favorite screensaver out of all of the ones available out there, and since I always have my HTPC on in the background while I do other things on my main computer, it gives me yet another fantastic way to keep up to date with certain things in between episodes of shows (when I let it just sit & don't feel like putting on the next episode for a while).
So far it seems to work pretty well. I like the option for display time.
A few things I would absolutely love to see:
-the possibility for more feeds! Please Big Grin
-Word filter that either filters based on title or whole article (preferably title) so that I no longer have to see inane posts about how "awesome" Winblows 10 is, or any post about apple products. Those things are just examples, but they're things that greatly irritate me & it would be super awesome to filter them out of the feeds that display! Smile
-More than one post from each feed, and possibly the ability to control how far back to grab them and/or how many to grab

I know some of those aren't exactly easy, but they'd be great! Thanks for the addon, again, I really like it <3

Ignore the comments on the UI, I think it looks just fine! I think it displays the information in a way that is simple & elegant, allowing me to get the title & photo all at one glance, easily allowing me to get the gist of it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
feedreader screensaver1