Global Subtitle setting
Hey All:
Anyone know if there is talk of subtitles being enabled/disabled with a global setting? like under video or something?

It would also be nice to be able to map a button on my remote to be able to toggle subtitles at our own convenience.
I know mediaportal has this feature, and I am missing it in XBMC.
You can disable subs for all videos. Just open the OSD menu during video playback. Open the subs menu. Disable subtitles and if you look at the bottom of the popup you'll see an option to use this setting for all videos. Kinda roundabout way to do it I know, but you only have to do it once. Should disable everything except forced subs or hard (burned in) of course.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Yes, I am aware of that one, oddly enough it is not exactly like that in openeELEC (maybe now with the new beta, testing it this weekend).

a way to toggle it would be nice though, to enable it quicker than opening the OSD, scrolling over and changing it.
Others might disagree with me on this, but I'd like to see our video playback settings (the ones in the OSD) to change from being "per-video" by default to being just generic globals, like in other video players. Then have an option to "save these settings for this video", so that you can still do individual tweaking.

In addition to subtitles, another example of this being useful is for audio delay when using bluetooth headphones. Audio delay becomes something you want to change because of your output device, and not because an individual video is wrong, and I think that is the more likely situation.

Or, let's say you have an Android-based "stick", and bring XBMC/Kodi to various different TVs. A poor quality TV might be improved by changing the brightness settings, but you want to change that all at once and not per video.

In other words, I think environmental changes will be more common than wanting to do individual video tweaks.
I hate comparing XBMC and Mediaportal, but I do because I was a media portal user for years and recently made the change to XBMC, as I love the multiplatform, and the speed.
for me MePo got this right, by default, all subtitles are disabled, but the yellow button on MCE remote toggles through the available subtitles for that specific video.

I would love to see something like this implemented in Kodi before it goes stable release.
Doubtful. It might be easier in the future to set the global default, but the default of subs being on is, IMO, correct. XBMC/Kodi makes the assumption that if you didn't want subtitles then you wouldn't have a subtitle file or embedded subtitles.
(2014-11-08, 07:40)Ned Scott Wrote: Doubtful. It might be easier in the future to set the global default, but the default of subs being on is, IMO, correct. XBMC/Kodi makes the assumption that if you didn't want subtitles then you wouldn't have a subtitle file or embedded subtitles.

There is still problems with setting Global subtitles in the OSD, on some playback sources. Ex. Blu-ray ISO files: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/15457#comment:7

Best regards

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Global Subtitle setting0