How to upgrade XBMCBUNTU to the Kodi Beta release
Can anyone explain how I would go about updating my current XBMCBuntu to the Kodi Beta, I have read through the wiki how to but I only see where it explains how to upgrade XBMC via sudo apt-get update, and then sudo apt-get install xbmc, but this doesnt upgrade me to kodi I am assuming this is used to upgrade to the next stable release. Is there a link to a how to on upgrading to kodi? or did I simply miss it in the Wiki? Thanks for the help.
You probably need to do "sudo apt-get install kodi", but still with the XBMC unstable PPA. It's kind of a confusing mix and match of names right now as we transition.
This is what I did:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo reboot

First post since 2009, shame on me....
(2014-11-08, 12:52)bubbl3 Wrote: This is what I did:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo reboot

First post since 2009, shame on me....

Hmm, did that work? sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I've never run that command, usually opting for install xbmc type instead...
What version of xbmcbuntu are you trying to upgrade to kodi on? What output does the commands give?
I'm in a similar boat, I've upgraded to the latest unstable.

I'm seeing both binaries (/usr/bin/xbmc & /usr/bin/kodi) xbmc-bin has been removed. Upon restarting lightdm I'm just seeing the (KDE?) login screen.

I'm assuming there's a config I've gotta change somewhere to use the new binary, I'm just unsure where it is!

Thanks folks!

EDIT: Fixed, after posting this I thought that it was an issue with the lightdm config - alas it was.

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf just needed the user-session changing from XBMC to kodi.
I am running xbmc 13.2
operating system Linux3.13.0-36-generic
according to the system info page

It is the 64 bit version of XBMCBUNTU

Will I also need to change that file lightdm.conf

thanks for the replies.
(2014-11-08, 22:48)teeedubb Wrote: What version of xbmcbuntu are you trying to upgrade to kodi on? What output does the commands give?

Worked fine for me, at first boot after that i had to manually login into the session, kodi started and got the message that the config for kodi was moved.

Rebooted and kodi autostarted fine with all working, no issues.

the apt-get dist-upgrade command will remove xbmc and replace it with kodi keeping your config.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to upgrade XBMCBUNTU to the Kodi Beta release0