Win Best way to manage a music library and integrate with XBMC?
Hi all - hopefully this is the best place to post this.

I don't yet have an exact music addon I'm having trouble with, but more so have general question to see how most people import their music into XBMC. Due to owning some of the old iPods, I've gotten used to iTunes as my song management on my computer. I realize how bad iTunes is with it's closed-nature, but it's just what I got used to at the time.

However, now I'm attempting to integrate my music collection into both my Android phone and XBMC. For Android, I got iSyncr which works alright. But in my searching, I see that integrating iTunes and XBMC is not really possible in a seamless way. For this reason, I'm open to using an iTunes alternative, but I want to make sure it's something that will work for XBMC before I spend the time transitioning my entire music collection.

Do you guys have suggestions on how I should manage my music on my computer, so that it can be future proof and easily read into XBMC and my Android phone? It would be nice if I could also still use it with my old iPods, but not necessary.

Any help is appreciated!
mp3tag, mediamonkey, musicbrainz picard, etc.

These all tag very well with info that is read easily by Kodi, but of the ones I mentioned, only MediaMonkey also serves as a player and library. Personally, i use mp3tag for tagging, and MediaMonkey for syncing to my Android. Mediamonkey has very robust syncing and autoconversion features, and I've never had any problems with the tagging from mp3tag on Android. YMMV with your choice of music player on Android - but I imagine good tags translate just fine between music players.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2014-11-11, 02:28)thrak76 Wrote: mp3tag, mediamonkey, musicbrainz picard, etc.

These all tag very well with info that is read easily by Kodi, but of the ones I mentioned, only MediaMonkey also serves as a player and library. Personally, i use mp3tag for tagging, and MediaMonkey for syncing to my Android. Mediamonkey has very robust syncing and autoconversion features, and I've never had any problems with the tagging from mp3tag on Android. YMMV with your choice of music player on Android - but I imagine good tags translate just fine between music players.

Thanks for the info. I downloaded mp3tag and Mediamonkey last night, and can definitely see how powerful they can be. It looks like I've got quite a bit of work ahead of me in re-organizing my library from the layout iTunes created. If anyone knows of any good guides for either of these programs, the help would be appreciated. Especially if it's something specific to transfering from an iTunes setup. Otherwise, I'll hopefully get up to speed on these programs soon.
So I have a bit of an update on this question.

I've successfully migrated my entire music collection into a properly tagged and sorted folder, and have ingested this into MediaMonkey. In addition, I've rebuilt my playlists and have been able to access them inside XBMC by copying the .m3u playlist files into the below folder:

C:\Users\<Name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\playlists\music

All of that so far works great - no problems there. However, the issue comes into play when I make playlist updates inside MediaMonkey, and want those updates sent to XBMC. It works if I manually replace the .m3u files, but I started searching for a more automatic way. That's where this software comes in: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtop...=2&t=34512

I've tested the auto-exporting with that inside MediaMonkey, and it works great for when I send it to a folder on my desktop. However, when I point it to the AppData folder location I mentioned above, it will no longer properly overwrite the .m3u files. If I delete the .m3u files, the auto-export will properly re-write the new .m3u files into the AppData folder. It just can't seem to do an overwrite when the file already exists in the AppData folder.

Is it possible there is some sort of permissions issue with overwriting in the AppData folder? Any suggestions on how to get the auto-overwrite to work inside there? Like I said, it works on other folders on my desktop, so I imagine it's an issue with the XBMC/AppData folder. Any help is appreciated!
mp3tag is best in combination with musicbrainz picard
(2014-11-18, 20:38)Magic815 Wrote: So I have a bit of an update on this question.

I've successfully migrated my entire music collection into a properly tagged and sorted folder, and have ingested this into MediaMonkey. In addition, I've rebuilt my playlists and have been able to access them inside XBMC by copying the .m3u playlist files into the below folder:

C:\Users\<Name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\playlists\music

All of that so far works great - no problems there. However, the issue comes into play when I make playlist updates inside MediaMonkey, and want those updates sent to XBMC. It works if I manually replace the .m3u files, but I started searching for a more automatic way. That's where this software comes in: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtop...=2&t=34512

I've tested the auto-exporting with that inside MediaMonkey, and it works great for when I send it to a folder on my desktop. However, when I point it to the AppData folder location I mentioned above, it will no longer properly overwrite the .m3u files. If I delete the .m3u files, the auto-export will properly re-write the new .m3u files into the AppData folder. It just can't seem to do an overwrite when the file already exists in the AppData folder.

Is it possible there is some sort of permissions issue with overwriting in the AppData folder? Any suggestions on how to get the auto-overwrite to work inside there? Like I said, it works on other folders on my desktop, so I imagine it's an issue with the XBMC/AppData folder. Any help is appreciated!

This is exactly the issue that I have as well. Managing your music collection is one and can be done via several tools, but the use of playlists in XBMC is something that haven't been able to solve either. I'm very interested if someone has been able to fix it.
(2014-11-18, 20:38)Magic815 Wrote: Is it possible there is some sort of permissions issue with overwriting in the AppData folder? Any suggestions on how to get the auto-overwrite to work inside there? Like I said, it works on other folders on my desktop, so I imagine it's an issue with the XBMC/AppData folder. Any help is appreciated!

I would recommend going over to mediamonkey forum for addons and see if you can get it sorted from there.

scott s.
(2014-11-20, 13:58)Miss_80 Wrote: This is exactly the issue that I have as well. Managing your music collection is one and can be done via several tools, but the use of playlists in XBMC is something that haven't been able to solve either. I'm very interested if someone has been able to fix it.

Maybe try running MM as an Administrator (right-click, "Run as Administrator"). My guess is because this folder is hidden (possibly even a system folder) it's getting an error trying to access it and silently ignoring the error.
Here suggest you to use a third-party tool to manage your music library, TunesGo is a powerful and reliable program that is available for iOS users and Android users. With it, you can manage your music, videos and other media files within steps.
https://www.recovery-android.com/transfe...droid.html
What's more, it supports transferring media files from iTunes to Android. Which is really helpful for us.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to manage a music library and integrate with XBMC?0